Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The summer before last I was hunting a meadow close to my house. I was digging a lot of ox shoes and old wagon hardware and everything was pretty deep. I was on my knees with my face down trying to see into the hole I dug, when I suddenly had a strange feeling wash over me.

I looked up to see two cougars slowly walking by me about 50 feet away! I quickly got to my feet and tried to look as big and tall as I could. They kept moving, slowly, and when they got about 50 yards away I was composed enough to get my phone out for a pic. By the time I got my shaking hands to work, one was already into the tree line.

Attachments

• cougar.jpeg
    cougar.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m a gold prospector not a detetorist, yet.

There was a time however when I was in a creek digging my ass off when out of the blue I remembered I left the receipt for my new high banker on the counter.... a warm came over my body, a quick check of the watch and I realized I still had a chance to beat my wife home. Trashing my way through waste high water for what seemed like hours, I’m so tired I nearly passed out from exhaustion. Just then I realized I’m the man of the house!!! No need to rush.

So thankfully I made it home in time. That was close.
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAH AT first I thought we were MARRIED to the SAME LADY 1!!! LOL Great POST OhiogoldFever

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The summer before last I was hunting a meadow close to my house. I was digging a lot of ox shoes and old wagon hardware and everything was pretty deep. I was on my knees with my face down trying to see into the hole I dug, when I suddenly had a strange feeling wash over me.

I looked up to see two cougars slowly walking by me about 50 feet away! I quickly got to my feet and tried to look as big and tall as I could. They kept moving, slowly, and when they got about 50 yards away I was composed enough to get my phone out for a pic. By the time I got my shaking hands to work, one was already into the tree line.
WOW OldMXRat did you clean your undies or just throw them away ?
Glad your safe though :)
I came out of a Outhouse in Northern Idaho and came to maybe 20 to 30 feert from a mountain lion walking right towards me and i was UNARMED. I jumped back in the out house and started screaming for someone to come wigth a gun
the lion left and nothing else happened

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW OldMXRat did you clean your undies or just throw them away ?
Glad your safe though :)
I came out of a Outhouse in Northern Idaho and came to maybe 20 to 30 feert from a mountain lion walking right towards me and i was UNARMED. I jumped back in the out house and started screaming for someone to come wigth a gun
the lion left and nothing else happened
Wow! Now that situation could have turned to shite fast.

TerraKacher

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2016
Kokomo, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Lone star, Fisher CZ7, ***Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just had a few large barking Dogs run up to me real fast,
I used to deliver flowers as a second job on special occasions. Couple of times, when making deliveries, one or two large dogs met me at the door outside. I always carried... Dog Treats with me. I'd pull them out, and the once scary dogs were now my best pals. I tossed the treats away and as they chased the treats, I'd leave. And if you don't encounter any dogs, you got something to munch on if you get hungry.

Last edited:

TerraKacher

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2016
Kokomo, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Lone star, Fisher CZ7, ***Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you don't encounter any dogs, you got something to munch on if you get hungry.
I know this probably isn't related, but, I used to munch on dog cookies and dog food. It was part of the dog food diet program. After I got out of the hospital, from being hit by a car, I had to stop the dog food diet. I kept wanting to sit and scratch behind my ear and lick in the middle of the road..., well thats how I got hit. So if you have the urge to scratch, makes sure there's no cars around.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this probably isn't related, but, I used to munch on dog cookies and dog food. It was part of the dog food diet program. After I got out of the hospital, from being hit by a car, I had to stop the dog food diet. I kept wanting to sit and scratch behind my ear and lick in the middle of the road..., well thats how I got hit. So if you have the urge to scratch, makes sure there's no cars around.
Actually Milk Bone dog biscuits are pretty good. The Ne plus ultra of dog treats and they clean your teeth!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a place maybe 3 miles from me that has 3 old abandoned dynamite shacks.Now all this talk about Dynamite and blasting caps makes me wonder if any caps are laying loose around there. Does anyone have any Pictures of Blastingcaps so we can see what they look like ?
I have my blasting certificate.. been using these for many years... I am retired [if farming lest you retire.. lol] now... but on occasion, a stump or ledge merits a little 'help' in removal

IMG_2358.JPG
tsk2820.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my blasting certificate.. been using these for many years... I am retired [if farming lest you retire.. lol] now... but on occasion, a stump or ledge merits a little 'help' in removal

View attachment 2011774 View attachment 2011775
When I was in my early teens there was a huge survey done in my county that involved setting off small explosive charges and then reading the return echoes for some exploratory reason.Every night on the news they would put up pictures of blasting caps and the warning you posted above. Also a couple of billboards on main highways with the same warnings. Just in case they lost one somewhere.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2011774 View attachment 2011775
I did not know this. I hope everyone sees this posting. WOW this is GREAT INFORMATION !!!
BARTHOLOMEWROBERTS THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR POSTING !!!!! I sure hopes this thread saves people from getting INJURED or WORSE !!!

THANKS ALL !!1

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 5 years detecting a old muddy gold mine and covered every stope and tunnel of the mine looking for high grade gold pockets. i would spend a lot of time up old slick muddy stopes hanging from climbing gear doing all the rock surfaces, then have to haul a drilling rig up to pop out targets with explosives and remove high grade pockets.
here is the mine next door to the one i worked.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Im gonna put this here as this was what happened to one of my best friends here in OZ.
Now to be honest, he didn't detect. But was very interested in it and we went with my detector on his huge property in central Queensland when I lived there. We were looking for an area his father said existed there, was a huge cattle property with big flat areas and huge hills. It was amazing! I recall him taking me, Andrew, up a big big hill we could actually see from our house many miles away. 100s of meters up the side near sheer up, was a tiny freshwater hole, yet in it were huge yabbies, freshwater crays that you just needed 2 per person for a meal! It was nuts. He knew it was and laughed when my eyes near popped out!
Ill not hide that im Christian and so was Andrew. I loved this guy, most honest true person id ever met.
This was not detecting, but I met him through his huge interest in it and showing me the property in his interest and wanting to know about it.
I was devastated to hear that he was killed by an Aussie Taipan snake near where he lived. They are insane aggressive. His friend said he walked off the side of the road. 1 minute later called out, no answer. Then found him dead. The Taipan they said hit a major vain in his leg and he died within a minute.
Nicest person I can say I ever knew.
Andrew Vaughn from Yeppoon Queensland. 👍

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hawk nearly hit me while dropping down to try and snag a rabbit at the tree line. Had to be less than 5 feet overhead and with headphones it makes you jump.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna put this here as this was what happened to one of my best friends here in OZ.
Now to be honest, he didn't detect. But was very interested in it and we went with my detector on his huge property in central Queensland when I lived there. We were looking for an area his father said existed there, was a huge cattle property with big flat areas and huge hills. It was amazing! I recall him taking me, Andrew, up a big big hill we could actually see from our house many miles away. 100s of meters up the side near sheer up, was a tiny freshwater hole, yet in it were huge yabbies, freshwater crays that you just needed 2 per person for a meal! It was nuts. He knew it was and laughed when my eyes near popped out!
Ill not hide that im Christian and so was Andrew. I loved this guy, most honest true person id ever met.
This was not detecting, but I met him through his huge interest in it and showing me the property in his interest and wanting to know about it.
I was devastated to hear that he was killed by an Aussie Taipan snake near where he lived. They are insane aggressive. His friend said he walked off the side of the road. 1 minute later called out, no answer. Then found him dead. The Taipan they said hit a major vain in his leg and he died within a minute.
Nicest person I can say I ever knew.
Andrew Vaughn from Yeppoon Queensland. 👍
May he rest in peace!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread