Mountain Gold TR ?

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I found an old TR detector in the local pawn shop. It is labeled "Mountain Gold" and Has "TR" on the bottom of the label. It is solid looking and has two coils but no batteries (can't test it).
Does anyone know this model? It as made in Garland Texas according to the label and appears to be gently used. Asking price is 59 dollars (possibly negotiable). Good deal or not?

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not Gold Mountain TR is it ? If so they were a good machine for the money back in the 80's. The Eagle version came with two coils. the same machine with one coil was sold under a different name and there was a bottom of range discriminator with a fixed level of discrim.

OP
OP
BigRon

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I think you are right. I was trying to remember if I had the name right, thanks!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you take into account that its an old machine and non motion they were a very good detector. When the Garrett Groundhog was king over here, many were doing as well with the Gold Mountain at much less cost.

Not being pulse or multifrequency you will need to use the discrimination set up around the foil level to balance out the effects of salt wet sand but thats the same with all the machines of that period.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's Gold Mountain. It was made by Bill Mahan Jr. in Garland, Tx. Bill Sr. built the famous D-Tex and was a hunting partner of Garrett. I still have an original D-Tex and of my four Gold Mountains, three were stolen and the last one is in use by my grandson in Waco, Tx. It would be a worth while gamble to get a Gold Mountain that worked for under 50.00. I think they retailed for 225.00 back in the 80's that's over $ 500 in obama bucks.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Gold Mountain was originally a subsidiary of an electronics contracting company called Modern Assemblies in Garland, Texas. I knew the president, Phil Storck, back in the 1970's and early 80's. I believe there was also some sort of a Garrett connection, and in fact you could swap coils between the Gold Mountain Boss and Garrett Groundhog. Gold Mountain went out of business sometime around 1982-3, after a major fire. At that time they had a new unit called the VIP, which was also made for a couple of private labels. D-Tex evidently acquired the company, or the rights to some or all of their designs, as they later marketed a unit virtually identical to the VIP... right down to the manual.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread