Mountain lion sightings

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There has been an uptick in mountain lion sightings in the Yarnell/Glen Isla (AZ) area of late. I saw a big cat at 8:24 pm on 9-29-22 behind my place of residence in Yarnell. The local postmaster said one was recently seen sleeping (lounging) on the back porch of the post office. Sighting the big cats is rare and attacks even more rare. Still, it is nice to catch a glimpse of such an elusive creature. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch your 6 they are sneaky
I would guess that for every time I've seen one, they've seen me 50 times..... unless pressed, or starving, they will always avoid human contact. ╦╦C

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you can be TO CAREFUL around them. Many years ago i was Elk hunting in Idaho . Iat our camp site we had a outhouse. i was told never go any where with out a side arm for protection. My camping trailer was maybe 50 feet from the outhouse. KI came ourt of the outhouse with out my sidearm. I less then 30 feet from me comes a mountain lion. I jumped back in the outhouse and started yelling for help.My yelling must have scared the cat away. When my friends came they did not see it. One never knows what they will do !!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think you can be TO CAREFUL around them. Many years ago i was Elk hunting in Idaho . Iat our camp site we had a outhouse. i was told never go any where with out a side arm for protection. My camping trailer was maybe 50 feet from the outhouse. KI came ourt of the outhouse with out my sidearm. I less then 30 feet from me comes a mountain lion. I jumped back in the outhouse and started yelling for help.My yelling must have scared the cat away. When my friends came they did not see it. One never knows what they will do !!
Good you were in the outhouse, made the cleanup easier!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Filling the belly of a cougar is better than cremation or buried six feet deep

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peyton TRUE but this also depends on if your time is up or something else decides your time is up

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, not at twenty five

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me NOT at 76 either !!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When in mountain lion country, a can of quality bear spray (less than
$50) is good to have along, especially if you're not carrying a firearm.

Always be aware of your surroundings..it's much better (for you) if you
see the cat before bad things happen.

If the cat continues to come closer, stand your ground, and make sure it knows that you are 100% prepared to defend yourself. NEVER run from a
cougar...if you do, you just became a toy.

In general, if you don't act like prey you won't be prey.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will Wasp or Hornet spray work just as well ???

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will Wasp or Hornet spray work just as well ???
You try it first, then let us know how it worked out.

Sightings of the cats are just north of us now.
Might be the same cat.
When the outdoor house 🐈 start disappearing, then that usually means a big one is feeding.
Many years ago one was on the hill in BC.
Every cat started disappearing from the top of the hill down.
Paw prints only, no sightings.
Only have seen one cross the highway in Field BC in the 70's.
Beautiful creatures.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You try it first, then let us know how it worked out.

Sightings of the cats are just north of us now.
Might be the same cat.
When the outdoor house 🐈 start disappearing, then that usually means a big one is feeding.
Many years ago one was on the hill in BC.
Every cat started disappearing from the top of the hill down.
Paw prints only, no sightings.
Only have seen one cross the highway in Field BC in the 70's.
Beautiful creatures.
OK how about I spray you in the face with it and then report on your reactions ? Is this what you meant ?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its your life LOL. If you want to risk it with any "Spray" , A 150 pound cat could snap a humans neck long before that spray began to work.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its your life LOL. If you want to risk it with any "Spray" , A 150 pound cat could snap a humans neck long before that spray began to work.
I know RTR thats why i suggested to try it on Pepper LOL

Reactions: RTR

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live and camp in mountain lion habitat but have never seen one. Pretty sure they've seen me. I know a couple of people who have had confrontations with them, and both of them said they stood their ground, raised their arms and yelled, and the cats backed down. (Do not raise your arms when confronted by a moose. They may mistake it for another bull's rack. Best to run like hell and get behind something.)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN do you know of anyone that has been attacked by a moose ?If so any serious results ?

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK how about I spray you in the face with it and then report on your reactions ? Is this what you meant ?
As a police officer, we got hit with capsasum (spell?) and THEN had to cuff someone. A big cat don't know, and don't care, about the spray. ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread