Mud ball fights , rock battles , BB gun wars ......

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
The more serious stuff like actual battles with green pecans, (with the husk on)
I must admit that paintballs are more sofisticated.
A green pecan shot from a slingshot leaves a brown mark that will be there for days.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
The more serious stuff like actual battles with green pecans, (with the husk on)
I must admit that paintballs are more sofisticated.
A green pecan shot from a slingshot leaves a brown mark that will be there for days.
So will walnuts with the husks still on them when they get squishy. We used to wear gloves to keep from getting it on our hands. It is a powerful pigment and I believe Native Americans used them for coloring. Ends up a yellowish-brown.
Scott

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We found an old drive shaft and cut one end off with my pal's Uncle's cutting torch. Drilled a hole in the other end. Poured in some black powder, shoved in a rag, dropped in a can full of nuts, bolts, nails, screws... shoved in another rag.

We took the cannon down to the city park and braced it against some rocks pointing it towards the pond. We baited up some ducks with bread. (we were planning on getting some ducks out of season for grandma... so the intent was pure and honest...)

Well, the ducks were eating the bread. We lit the fuse we got from the hobby shop for the model rockets, and ran like hell. The ducks must have fled as well because after the massive explosion, and the water settling back into the pond, there were no sign's of any ducks. Not a feather. So, we must have missed.

We were used to hearing police sirens heading towards our neighborhood pretty often. We were strong runners.

Now my daughter is mad at me for teaching my grandsons some pretty fun stuff. Basically harmless. We go to the park and try to shoot down kites with model rockets, that sort of stuff. We made some hand made pyrotechnic ping pong ball guns, and lit bubbles on fire... www.dangerouslyfun.com/ A few fun things here...

Oh yeah.... we also had them little gas powered airplanes on the string. You know, you stand in the middle, fire it up and stand there while this little plane went around in circles while you did touch and goes getting very dizzy...

When that got boring we would fill the cockpit with glue, fill the wings with glue, and then strap on a couple of unlit M-80 silvertubes. We would get that sucker running and light the glue. (object: later in the flight the glue would lite the M-80 fuse's) Well, we sent the flaming kamakazee planes of doom off into the 'other' neighborhood. The suicide drones usually had enough gas to go about 6 blocks, unless the flaming glue melted the wings first, or an M-80 went off and blew it up in flight...

Like I said. There were sirens~

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
GIB said:
We found an old drive shaft and cut one end off with my pal's Uncle's cutting torch. Drilled a hole in the other end. Poured in some black powder, shoved in a rag, dropped in a can full of nuts, bolts, nails, screws... shoved in another rag.

We took the cannon down to the city park and braced it against some rocks pointing it towards the pond. We baited up some ducks with bread. (we were planning on getting some ducks out of season for grandma... so the intent was pure and honest...)

Well, the ducks were eating the bread. We lit the fuse we got from the hobby shop for the model rockets, and ran like hell. The ducks must have fled as well because after the massive explosion, and the water settling back into the pond, there were no sign's of any ducks. Not a feather. So, we must have missed.

We were used to hearing police sirens heading towards our neighborhood pretty often. We were strong runners.

Now my daughter is mad at me for teaching my grandsons some pretty fun stuff. Basically harmless. We go to the park and try to shoot down kites with model rockets, that sort of stuff. We made some hand made pyrotechnic ping pong ball guns, and lit bubbles on fire... www.dangerouslyfun.com/ A few fun things here...

Oh yeah.... we also had them little gas powered airplanes on the string. You know, you stand in the middle, fire it up and stand there while this little plane went around in circles while you did touch and goes getting very dizzy...

When that got boring we would fill the cockpit with glue, fill the wings with glue, and then strap on a couple of unlit M-80 silvertubes. We would get that sucker running and light the glue. (object: later in the flight the glue would lite the M-80 fuse's) Well, we sent the flaming kamakazee planes of doom off into the 'other' neighborhood. The suicide drones usually had enough gas to go about 6 blocks, unless the flaming glue melted the wings first, or an M-80 went off and blew it up in flight...

Like I said. There were sirens~
Nice 8)

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Or take a round fence post, put it in a coffee can & fill the can with cement. After it hardens, drop
a lit cherry bomb (like a round M-80) down the pipe & then drop a golf ball in after it. Can't be sure
how far they flew , but clean outa sight. We used to bomb the projects with these. I know they easily
outdistanced those small cannons.

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Tubecity said:
Or take a round fence post, put it in a coffee can & fill the can with cement. After it hardens, drop
a lit cherry bomb (like a round M-80) down the pipe & then drop a golf ball in after it. Can't be sure
how far they flew , but clean outa sight. We used to bomb the projects with these. I know they easily
outdistanced those small cannons.

LOL...that sounds like fun. The only thing I can remember doing is using fireworks to blow up mailboxes and such. Made a couple of homemade explosives and blew all of the sand out of my cousin's sandbox and it all ended up all over the yard. My uncle was displeased.

I remember rock wars on the playground but never any BB gun wars. Used to build homemade ramps and things and tried silly tricks with our bikes. Climbed trees, built our own flimsy clubhouses out off scraps that we found and not these pre-fab things you get now. I am glad I grew up before the internet and game systems.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
we used to take pieces of pipe and bottle rockets and have bottle rocket fights. You would be amazed how accurate you could get with practice. Thought I was in high cotton when we had a couple of broken lawn chairs we sawed up and used the curved tubes as "guns" to shoot out the rockets.

We would also get a wagon and a couple of pieces of string. go up onto this BIG hill and ride the wagon down at incredible speeds and then crash at the bottom. No helmets, no pads and we survived.

The STUPIDEST thing I EVER did as a kid was have tressle races with a couple of friends. We lived by railroad tracks and three of us boys would wait by the tressle until we could see the train about 1/4 of a mile away on a flat stretch, we would then take off running accross this huge tressel and try and make it across before the train got to us. There was always a small pond about 20-25 feet under the tressel but I don't know if any of us would have survived that kind of fall. We survived that but I sure don't know how looking back now. Had some REALLY close calls a few times. And finally got busted by the police and had to stop.

We used to do the same exact thing, lol... I got hit in the chest with a bottle rocket. As it fell it went off. It's a good thing I had just stood up or I would have been hit in the face. We used to fish off of a trestle and run when a train approached. Climb trees all the way to the top and grab hold and jump out and ride them to the ground, that is, if they didn't break off and you fell. Yeah, the good ole days.

DANGLANGLEY

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Trains...
There is a trestle over the Willamette River in Oregon.
A long trestle.
We were walking across and a train came.
It is not easy to run on a trestle.
In the middle found a little siding and hung on as the train went by.
Another time was on the top of the arch and hung on as the whole thing moved.
Lots more stories about trains.
Wish I could have gotten a job with them.
Grey

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Have a scar on my butt from BBgun wars, new kid on the block didn't know the differance between a .22 and a bb gun...luckily for me, his dad had it loaded with rat shot...low powder content...

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else play marbles or mumbly-peg?
Scott

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
AU24K said:
Anyone else play marbles or mumbly-peg?
Scott

Yeah, but the regulation game didn't last long. It always seemed to escalate into sling shots, running and hiding, getting whacked...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
oldgoat said:
Have a scar on my butt from BBgun wars, new kid on the block didn't know the differance between a .22 and a bb gun...luckily for me, his dad had it loaded with rat shot...low powder content...

Scars from rock salt from a 12 guage...
Stealing cantalopes.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Plastic war ships in a kiddi pool. Add model plane glue and a fire cracker and ruuuuuuunnnnnn !
==================================================================
Man did that bring up an ass-whooping I almost forgot about . My older brother's model battleships he
spent many hours building, my sister's 2 foot deep pool & me with a can of lighter fluid & a pack of
matches. Lots of black smoke, melted plastic on the pool bottom equals one highly pi$$ed Dad. I'll bet
my backside felt hotter than that melted plastic when he got done with me. Plus the abuse from the
older brother my dad ignored. His saying was, 'you made your bed now sleep in it'. Funny how you can
learn some things pretty quick, I never tried that one again.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Tubecity said:
Plastic war ships in a kiddi pool. Add model plane glue and a fire cracker and ruuuuuuunnnnnn !
==================================================================
Man did that bring up an ass-whooping I almost forgot about . My older brother's model battleships he
spent many hours building, my sister's 2 foot deep pool & me with a can of lighter fluid & a pack of
matches. Lots of black smoke, melted plastic on the pool bottom equals one highly pi$$ed Dad. I'll bet
my backside felt hotter than that melted plastic when he got done with me. Plus the abuse from the
older brother my dad ignored. His saying was, 'you made your bed now sleep in it'. Funny how you can
learn some things pretty quick, I never tried that one again.
Sounds totally worth it. 8)
Sort of

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread