Mushroom question. Are these edible or poisonous?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• mushroom 1.JPG
    mushroom 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 120

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just trying to learn about mushrooms. Give me your opinion on these bad boys. Are they edible or will they kill me? Lol!
I think those are the kind you don,t want to eat, I got em in my yard.If I understand it the good ones are called Morels.Look that up to get a pic.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
identifying mushrooms from just a picture could kill anyone most of the time. Id needs at least 2 well known resources and a spore print at minimum.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like honey fungus (Armillaria) to me, which is edible when cooked but can cause stomach upsets in some sensitive people.... BUT are you really going to gamble your life on an uncertain opinion from some dude on the internet?

My first wife died from mushroom poisoning. So did my second wife. Third one broke her neck when she fell down the stairs. Tragic really. Wouldn't eat her mushrooms.

MountOlymp

Jul 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like honey fungus (Armillaria) to me, which is edible when cooked but can cause stomach upsets in some sensitive people.... BUT are you really going to gamble your life on an uncertain opinion from some dude on the internet?

My first wife died from mushroom poisoning. So did my second wife. Third one broke her neck when she fell down the stairs. Tragic really. Wouldn't eat her mushrooms.
Almost tragic

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even POISONOUS are Edible LOL just not a good OUTCOME !

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Were they all named Alice?

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The micelium of the fungus spreads ower large area (few square meters) sucking water from even larger area. This water evaporates threw the organism, efectively concentrating compounds like heavy metal salts, toxines, and other stuff from the enviroment you would not want to get in your body. Since virtually no place in our planet escaped our general pollution i strongly recomend to avoid eating any fungus. Gathering enviromental samples and performing analisys is what i do for living. My county lies in EU but i doubt US is any better regarding the spread of polutants. The dosage one may get by eating fungus is considerable, and usually much hihger than by most of any other food.

You have been warned.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If they,re the Magic Mushrooms of hippie fame,I,m told the OUTCOME is rather violent and unpleasent.If you get my drift.
Everyone should watch the documentary on

FANTASTIC FUNGI​

Regarding the effects of ingesting a Psilocybin mushroom has led researchers to give patients controlled amounts to counter the effects of depression and other mental difficulties when sealing with medical traumas.
One thing about a magic mushroom it's truly magic actually no harmful trips/OD effects.
What's the worse thing that could happen-throw up-hallucinate on the barf-go to sleep-wake up feeling normal.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just trying to learn about mushrooms. Give me your opinion on these bad boys. Are they edible or will they kill me? Lol!
There are many similar/like species and having around 11,000 in the mushroom species alone in NA it's a real science in learning the edibles from the ones that will mess a person up.

This time of the year it seems that the mushroom world comes out to play.
Common shaggy Mane, Puff Balls, Lion Mane, Oyster, Chanterelle, Chicken of the Woods are all welcomed consumption in the household.

Attachments

• 20210928_184057.jpg
    20210928_184057.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211003_124045.jpg
    20211003_124045.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 25

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they,re the Magic Mushrooms of hippie fame,I,m told the OUTCOME is rather violent and unpleasent.If you get my drift.
My experience with Magic Mushrooms where always good. Except for one time I made tunafish & Magic Mushroom sandwich. I used about 3 or 4 grams of magic mushrooms. I just remember I had to lock myself in my bedroom for about 10 hours.That trip was a little too intense. Anyway today I have 29 years clean & sober.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My experience with Magic Mushrooms where always good. Except for one time I made tunafish & Magic Mushroom sandwich. I used about 3 or 4 grams of magic mushrooms. I just remember I had to lock myself in my bedroom for about 10 hours.That trip was a little too intense. Anyway today I have 29 years clean & sober.
The intense trips are when one stays indoors confined, go outside and the experiences are totally different.
Always said "Coke was for party/disco-shrooms are for enjoying nature."
Flew in from camp, brother picked me up and we drove home. Party started and I cooked up a can of stew with a 1/4 oz. We split to 3 ways and 30 minutes later said "Well it's time for bed-got to go to work in the morning"
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: It was the worse night for head tripping while trying to sleep-no sleep happened-might as well of stayed up and enjoyed the Holy Bush outside the front door.
Congrats on the 29yrs.:headbang:
34 yrs myself-though I wouldn't dismiss a therapy if I was facing a dreadful disease.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even experts get fooled some times. Really not worth taking any chances. Serious pain if you get it wrong and can do permanent liver damage or worse.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A mushroom book including specimens from your local is a start.
As mentioned spore tests can be important. Similarities at varied stages makes some different mushrooms resemble others at time.
People vary in tolerance of even known edible mushrooms. And further that tolerance can change.
Alcohol consumption can factor. And while examples exist of no problems with one person , that does not mean another person will not be affected differently.

Kinda fun , the study of different mushrooms.
Like dinosaurs there is much we really don't know all about a subject..

I stick to a couple/three of a similar specie. And start out with a small amount each season. Just in case something has changed.
Were I to try a new species after confirming it is edible , I'd reserve a sample , just in case it didn't agree with me and it needed testing/i.d.ing for treatment of me...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The micelium of the fungus spreads ower large area (few square meters) sucking water from even larger area. This water evaporates threw the organism, efectively concentrating compounds like heavy metal salts, toxines, and other stuff from the enviroment you would not want to get in your body. Since virtually no place in our planet escaped our general pollution i strongly recomend to avoid eating any fungus. Gathering enviromental samples and performing analisys is what i do for living. My county lies in EU but i doubt US is any better regarding the spread of polutants. The dosage one may get by eating fungus is considerable, and usually much hihger than by most of any other food.

You have been warned.
Usually not as much of an issue here, unless you are around an old/current industrial area. I am lucky, my immediate area is the water shed for this part of the north east(one direction goes to the Genesee river and the other goes down a few rivers and eventually creates the Susquehanna river. And I then live on a hill a couple hundred feet above that watershed. Actually a perfect area for getting untainted goodies from nature.

MountOlymp

Jul 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have been warned.
So crops getting the same water from rain and environment should not be eaten also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread