Mushroom question. Are these edible or poisonous?

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back riding my mountain bike in the woods in Delaware and I saw saw these wild mushrooms growing. I had to get a picture. I looked them up & I believe their Laetiporus Sulphureous. There suppose to taste like chicken. But I'am not going to find out.
IMG_0330.jpeg
IMG_0327.jpeg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Buddy‘s daughter and her boyfriend just made a huge mushroom find, tree loaded with bright yellowish hen of the woods I believe. Growing about ten feet up. They listed them for sale, and were quickly contacted by a ritzy restaurant in Grand Rapids. Not sure of the weight, but they made out with $350!

Attachments

• B9F38941-69DF-486E-BE52-35922B19971B.jpeg
    B9F38941-69DF-486E-BE52-35922B19971B.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first 2 wives died from eating Poison mushrooms, My third wife died of a concussion SHE would NOT EAT THEM 11

Parker572

Dec 25, 2015
dover, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt , minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone identify this mushroom

Attachments

• 20220320_182138.jpg
    20220320_182138.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Any mushrooms you don't know exactly what they are should be considered poisonous. There are many that look very similar to each other.
You got that right. Years ago when living on the Aus Victorian surf coast, where the famous Bells Beach surf classic is held. I went with a few friends picking mushrooms in the Otways Ranges. We were just after actual good eating mushrooms. We got a bucket full that all looked the same, but now id say "similar". I was accustomed to the Inland ones, but obviously didn't know some from there looked so similar!
At the time I was living alone there. I cooked some up with a steak for dinner that night.
Whoah! Later I was seeing people in a fishing magazine I was reading being animated, they were walking, falling over and I was in hysterical laughter. A friend came over. I answered the door then showed them the magazine saying "check these guys out!" Obviously they pulled me up.
Crazy trip that was. Thankfully it wore off after a few hours and they stayed with me to be sure.
If in doubt, chuck em out is my now motto.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are about 10,000 named species in North America, which make up just a third or a fifth of all existing mushrooms.

cambo

Jun 25, 2004
Just trying to learn about mushrooms. Give me your opinion on these bad boys. Are they edible or will they kill me? Lol!
get this APP for your phone ( picture this) this is for plants then you can get picture this mushroom you can try them for free before you pay for them Google it and learn

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I got two books on shroom hunting/identification.

Read them, and was like "Nope!". Too risky.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here they start growing the last week of July and go till the first week of Sept. Oysters, Chantilles are numerous but like any mushroom from the wild , You really need good I.D. Usualy find LOTS OF THEM in burned out forest area for a few years after a fire. Morel only show up here in those burned-out areas and only for a few years. Resturants will buy them around here where top five star Ski area resturants are. Yes they pay TOP DOLLAR for them at the backdoor,apparently they aren't allowed to BUY them if the source wasn't a farm -like set up. (reputable)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just trying to learn about mushrooms. Give me your opinion on these bad boys. Are they edible or will they kill me? Lol!
FreeBird your asking the wrong questions !!1 All Mushrooms are EDIBLE. BUT SOME will kill you and some will make you very sick !!!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeBird your asking the wrong questions !!1 All Mushrooms are EDIBLE. BUT SOME will kill you and some will make you very sick !!!
In a long ago thread you listed an occaision you resorted to mushrooms and stairs as an alternate!!!:laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread