zoomie4713

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
mifflin County, pa
Detector(s) used
gatterr at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this musketball which appears to have a pattern on it. maybe i'm just seeing things, but thought i would ask. was found on a site about 200 yards from a fort that was destroyed in 1753 by the french and indians. the killed most of the settlers and took some as captives to the pittsburg area. have found many plain colonial buttons near by.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 589
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish your picture was better. A little smaller, sharper photo would help also. Is the ball still round, or has it been fired. The pattern could come from something that it hit, or an imprint of the fabric it was patched with when fired, but the photo really isn't good enough for my old tired eyes to really see anything.

OP
OP
Z

zoomie4713

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
mifflin County, pa
Detector(s) used
gatterr at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: musketball with markings???? better pict maybe

this may be a better picture

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 415

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The common patching material way back when was homespun linen fabric. It makes one of the best patching material.

I'm going with it is the imprint of the patch when the ball was load in the barrel of what ever it was fired out of.

A good clear photo would be very helpful. Might be able to see if there is rifling marks on it or if it was fired from a smooth bore musket or shotgun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread