Must be how some see us

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When water hunting with headphones on, it's amazing what people say because they think we can't hear them. while approaching a group of older women I overheard one say He is"profiting from the misfortune of others" As I got closer one asked if I was using a metal detector. I stated that I was using an underwater electronic fish finder hence the name"Fisher" on the side. They bought it! I just wasn't in the mood today. Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The headphones also help to screen the unnecessary questions/conversations. Depending on the individual and the statement/question, I will feign the inability to hear them with the headphones.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I mess with people. Whenever I dig up trash and I hear some fool declare that what I find is there's...I promptly offer them the canslaw or pull-tab. lol. "No, really its yours YOU said it was yours" goes up their you know what sideways. lol. hh an gl -Joe

When water hunting with headphones on, it's amazing what people say because they think we can't hear them. while approaching a group of older women I overheard one say He is"profiting from the misfortune of others" As I got closer one asked if I was using a metal detector. I stated that I was using an underwater electronic fish finder hence the name"Fisher" on the side. They bought it! I just wasn't in the mood today. Happy hunting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mess with people. Whenever I dig up trash and I hear some fool declare that what I find is there's...I promptly offer them the canslaw or pull-tab. lol. "No, really its yours YOU said it was yours" goes up their you know what sideways. lol. hh an gl -Joe
Ive done that more than once.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard a few comments yesterday.
When I got there I could hear the usual kids asking and screaming to their parents what is he doing mama LOL nothing bad.
Then I got near these old folks out deep in the water and I hear one say "Look he is trying to find coins" and the other old lady says rudely "I am sure he is looking for GOLD!" I rolled my eyes but I had sun glasses on LOL.
But I thought to myself that is why you should keep hunting in the morning hours and a night when no one is there stupid ;)

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel pretty safe in saying that the people who say we are profiting off of others misfortunes wouldn't walk off and leave a diamond ring or hundred dollar bill lying on the ground if they happened to see one. Just my opinion, which ain't worth much lol.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel pretty safe in saying that the people who say we are profiting off of others misfortunes wouldn't walk off and leave a diamond ring or hundred dollar bill lying on the ground if they happened to see one. Just my opinion, which ain't worth much lol.
What good is it going to do leaving a ring under the sand in three feet of water...if we didn't dig them up, no one else would get them. :dontknow:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its A First I Liked Every Post On One Thread!!! And We Have Heard all Of them!!! Chug Keep Going!!!

FloridaGoldDigger

Oct 8, 2012
West Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Excalibur II, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If they only knew about the glass we removed with the metal tops still attached from someone breaking a wine bottle and throwing it in the ocean, rusty hooks, lures with multible hooks, cans, sharp metal, and misc junk people throw in the ocean we dispose of. How about he mans car keys you helped find?
Unfortunately people loose things of value which creates a hobby for us. We benefit from the gold and diamonds, but also jump in and offer our time to help someone in need. Many time others benefit from us finding what was once lost and returning it, without us maybe never found again.

Some laugh and make jokes while others are amused and appreciate what we do.

Ignore the negativity, the ones that make comments are not educated about what we do.

Opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one.

It's our passion!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they only knew about the glass we removed with the metal tops still attached from someone breaking a wine bottle and throwing it in the ocean, rusty hooks, lures with multible hooks, cans, sharp metal, and misc junk people throw in the ocean we dispose of. How about he mans car keys you helped find?
Unfortunately people loose things of value which creates a hobby for us. We benefit from the gold and diamonds, but also jump in and offer our time to help someone in need. Many time others benefit from us finding what was once lost and returning it, without us maybe never found again.

Some laugh and make jokes while others are amused and appreciate what we do.

Ignore the negativity, the ones that make comments are not educated about what we do.

It's our passion!
Well said FGD.

OP
OP
C

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green meanie, your 100% right. I try to be out of the pouplated areas at 11a.m. at the latest, to avoid just that. I thought about telling her of my Memorial day soldiers ring return,or how I spent 1.5 hrs last week trying to help with another ring return.It was just easier to lie.Thanks everyone.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the rest of that quote should say

And they usually stink

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its A First I Liked Every Post On One Thread!!! And We Have Heard all Of them!!! Chug Keep Going!!!

I suspect that I must appear more like the Old Man In The Sea in a Hemmingway novel while metal detecting as those I have met ( tourists. locals, even competitors ) wish me luck in finding gold and other treasures. Many are aware and appreciative of our efforts to keep the beach clean. The only discomfort was a short grimace by a mother when she discovered that her beloved retreat for family is often treated like a garbage pit by selfish others.

I consider answering questions by children and those who are curious as all part of the fun, especially when detecting during the time when there are many sunbathers/swimmers/families using the beach. At these times, I purposely wear a small tan rectangular tablet shaped rock with a dark brown transpacific Polynesian sailing canoe etched on the front around my neck to let beach goers know that I am local.

When asked if I have found anything, I smile and say yes while showing a jeweled heart shaped key with red enamel on the top encrusted with pieces of glass cut like diamonds taped to the back of the tablet. I have found the key but am still searching for the treasure chest and if they had seen it.
It is truly a joy to see the look of astonishment on the Childs face and feel the warmth from their parents.

At other times, I will offer an encrusted copper clad zinc penny to their parents (not the child) to show them the effects of the sea, and as momento of their vacation while warning them of the danger that this coin imposes to small children if swallowed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread