MXT All Pro vs MX Sport

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned around 35 different detectors and for some reason never had one of the MXT detectors......came very close a few years back and ended up with an F75 instead. I have swung an MXT pro and like it ....and beleive i could even love it with some swinging time. I have thinned my herd of machines down and have been seriously thinking about the MXT AP once again. Only problem is i keep hearing that the Sport out performs it, is waterproof and cheaper! I really want some opinions from those who have experience with both of them....

Before you answer as to which is better for me; let me give you some info: The whole waterproof feature is just a bonus...i jhave an old AT pro that more than covers my water hunting needs. And i dont like detecting in the rain, or snow. I have only onwed two Whites machines previously, A Coinmaster(i picked up cheap and sold)...and a TDI pro, which i liked and only sold because i bought a GPX5000.

I am first and foremost A RELIC HUNTER....then a coin and jewelry hunter. I also have no problem with knobs over push buttons and touch screens. I am a huge Tesoro fan AND the Tejon is my favorite machine. I am not impressed by a fancy screen .....more by raw performance. My dirt here can vary from HOT Culpeper clay to mild river bottom sandy soil. I know this all screams MXT, but if there is a gain in performance with the SPort, i want to know what it is......thanks.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I own a mxsport, but not a mxt. I tried a mxt out at the shop when I bought my sport and it was just too heavy. The sport is a dream to swing. In terms of performance I dunno how much difference there is, if I had to guess the sport might hit a tiny bit deeper knowing how hot it runs(could be wrong on this). What I can tell you is I too hunt mostly relics, and the mx sport with a small coil is an absolute beast in the iron filled cellars. It has very fast response. Waterproof and build quality was a necessity for me, as I am the worlds least careful human being. So far(about 3 years) it has held up to my abuse. What I can say for sure is that it will stomp out that at pro you own In terms of raw performance. Now That being said, I recently got the equinox 800. I still don't have enough time on it to pick it apart(maybe 50 hours), but I am seeing some definite advantages over the mx sport. the equinox 600 at its price range should also be on your list.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the MXT All Pro is pretty heavy, but it is very well balanced and swings really good. It is actually heavier tha the AT pro but swings better because the ATP is so nose heavy. Thanks for the info about the sport in heavy iron, as i do hunt cellar holes frequently.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX sport isn't the MXT it might be waterproof but lacks the raw power of the MXT, with the right coil and settings the MXT is as deep as any detector out now. HH

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wingmaster....what coils do you prefer on the mxt all pro? Think the 10"dd would be good all around, but what do you like for trashy spots and what do you like for a bigger, deeper field coil?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX sport isn't the MXT it might be waterproof but lacks the raw power of the MXT, with the right coil and settings the MXT is as deep as any detector out now. HH

I dunno about that at all, the mxsport has PLENTY of power. In fact most of the time you can run in in sensitivity 5 to 6 out of ten because it runs so hot, and still be pulling extremely deep signals. Sport is easily as deep as the mxt, and I would argue the same as you do, right setting and coil for the site will go as deep as almost any other single frequency vlf. The sport is seriously under rated because of the issues with first production run which scared people away.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wingmaster....what coils do you prefer on the mxt all pro? Think the 10"dd would be good all around, but what do you like for trashy spots and what do you like for a bigger, deeper field coil?
I use the 10"DD (whites D2 coil) almost all the time, if you can slow down enough it will pick through trash very well for such a big coil. I will admit it's hard for me to slow down enough as I just want to hurry and find the next good find though, I can get dimes all day at 10"+ with some at a full 12" with that coil and bigger targets of course deeper. I bought the ultimate 13" coil looking for more depth, it doesn't get any deeper but covers more ground and hits a little better on those deep coins sitting on edge but just enough better to make you want to dig them. I hear those deep on edge ones with the D2 coil but the 13" makes it sound better enough that makes you think it might not be trash. I try and run at +2 gain EMI permitting, just make sure there isn't too much background noise so you hears those faint whisper signals that are almost always the good old deep targets. Always use good headphones there a must for those really deep targets and the 4x6DD will pick through trash the best but would prefer the white's 5.3 for better depth. HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno about that at all, the mxsport has PLENTY of power. In fact most of the time you can run in in sensitivity 5 to 6 out of ten because it runs so hot, and still be pulling extremely deep signals. Sport is easily as deep as the mxt, and I would argue the same as you do, right setting and coil for the site will go as deep as almost any other single frequency vlf. The sport is seriously under rated because of the issues with first production run which scared people away.
I hunt some heavy wooded area's where it's thick and prefer the built like a tank construction of the MXT, I also use the Thesaurus detector covers that keep the switches and knobs from the sticks and thorn bushes it also keeps the dirt off and the detector box and meter will look brand new 9yrs later at least for my first MXT. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread