MXT E-series vs X-Terra 70

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They're really close performance-wise. I use an MXT and my hunting buddy uses an Xterra 70. I would say that the MXT is more durable and has more options, in terms of coils. But, the Xterra is a little lighter and goes deep, just like the MXT. Really, you can't go wrong with either one. Depends on whether you prefer a most analog machine with dials (MXT) or all digital (X-terra). He has made some really good finds at 10-11" with his and mine does the same. Myself, I'm checking into the F75, cause I'm getting tired of the weight. But, that's me and don't let that rule your decision.

Willy

As a coin detector, the X70 is the better detector as far as I'm concerned. With the MXT I was always watching the screen, while the X70 can give a really good ID using the 99 tone mode. The concurrent depth display is also nice and saves having to go into PP mode to get a depth reading. Switching modes is also a lot easier and the notch disc. is more versatile. Coil selection IS better with the MXT but really, how many coils does a person need? I think that the MXT has a slightly better AM mode with the Vsat, but the X70 has an adjustable iron mask. True, you can push the trigger forward with the MXT to get the iron 'tone ID' working, but in heavy iron trash (and some hotrocks) it will incessantly grunt like a sick hog and be just as annoying. Supposedly, the X70 handles saltwater beaches better and being able to change the operating frequency is nice. The X70 also offers more tweaks (bells and whistles), which makes it a somewhat more adjustable unit. ..Willy.

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
With out a doubt it would be the X-Terra 70. Minelab has to be the law of the land........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread