MXT Pro coil choice

capt. jas.

Greenie
Aug 9, 2010
The MXT "All-Pro" comes with the D2 and a 9" spider. If I can afford one more coil, what should I choose. I am in central Virginia and I hear that this area is known to be hot and mineralized. I will be mainly hunting relics and old, civil war and colonial era house sites, many of which are now in woods. I had a pro before but had to sell it and I used a 6x10. Since I will get a D2 with this one, I am thinking I should look to a different choice for the extra? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your soil is mineralized I would stick with the DD coils, your going to see a lot more depth from the D2 compared to the 6x10 but the 6x10 will be a good choice for heavy trash area's over the D2. In wooded area's the 6x10 will get in area's where the D2 won't and its a solid coil that won't snag up on stuff like one that's open will. HH

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^^ What he said.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with the 5.3 Eclipse for hunting nail and iron infested sites. Much better separation than the D2 or 9". Great depth for a smaller coil (much deeper than the 4"x6") and with it being a smaller coil, the high mineralization won't be much of a problem for it.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the MXT PRO and have used several coils such as the D2 and 6x10 but my favorite and I believe the best and deepest is the 10x12 SEF coil. I have used it at several DIV hunts in the hot soil and it did very well. I dug my ID tag about 12" deep last year at one of the DIV hunts. I like it because it is what I call an all in one coil. It works very well in trashy areas. A buddy of mine and I hunted an old park a couple years ago and we was hunting near a shelter loaded with pull tabs and trash. He had the MXT PRO as well but was using the 6x10 coil. He finally gave up and sat down on a bench and watched me dig several wheat pennies and a 1926 token. It don't matter how trashy the area is that coil will find the coins if they are there. Sure you are going to hear the trash but if there is a coin anywhere there that coil will find it. I have nothing but high praise for the SEF coils and anyone who has them will say the same. I also took it to a site that I gridded a small area and picked it clean. I took the SEF coil there and dug several wheat pennies and some mercury dimes that were extremely deep that the other coils could not pick up. Just my two cents but you will not be disappointed.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My choice is well the sef line I got the 950 eclipse the d2 but the sef's seam in a catagory on there own a real pleasure to swing them

KY PI

Sep 19, 2011
Northeastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
I love the 6x10 coil but use the 5.3 coil alot in really trashy areas. I would really like to try a sef coil cause I really hear great things about them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions