North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman said:
Hey MM, congrats on all the nice finds..nice pics also, I feel like I'm looking at a display case in a museum.

Thanks for chiming in to my posts and encouraging me as well..it was a year of memorable finds.

I hope '08 is a good year for you with more great discoveries.

Nat

Thanks Nat. You've had a great year too. Your ring count was fantastic! That idea you had of working with the realtors was a great idea. Good luck next year. Looking forward to your posts.
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RMac1721 said:
You didn't dig up that whole clock did ya?

RMac,
No, just the iron eagle piece itself. I dug it on an old farm spot I hunt. Not sure if it was originally a clock, or an old stove piece. I was told it was an 1800's mantle clock originally.
Here is a picture of how it looked when I first dug it up.
HH,
MM

Attachments

• Eagle piece.jpg
    Eagle piece.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,160
  • Eagle piece.jpg
    Eagle piece.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,147

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Great review of the year, and some smoking hot finds, I remember some of your post as you found em. Thanks for showing them agien.
TC

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Great review of the year, and some smoking hot finds, I remember some of your post as you found em. Thanks for showing them agien.
TC

Thanks TC.
It's fun to relive these finds at the end of the year. I remember a lot of the great stuff the TN members have found this year. Simply amazing!
-Doug-

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all of your finds in 2007! May your luck continue beyond your years devoted to metal detecting!

M2

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• awesome.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,948

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Modern Miner,
Hope you have picked out your 08 digging ensemble. I think something in blue
would look cool.
lol
Nice finds for 2007! Best of luck in 2008, and hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
Joe

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belt plate looks fantastic! Great find! Great year! Merry christmas!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. You sure made some great strides in a very short time and dug a lot relics that would make anyone green :) ! Hope you do even better in 2008 bud !

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gribnitz said:
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. You sure made some great strides in a very short time and dug a lot relics that would make anyone green :) ! Hope you do even better in 2008 bud !

Thank you Gribnitz.
Much appreciated.
-MM-

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Ahhh yes Doug...

I remember your very first post like it was yesterday... actually I think it was around January 10th, 2007.

Your First Post here ever:
I wasn't sure where to post this being a newbie and all.
First off let me say, I am soooooooo glad I found your web site. What a great group of folks out there, and the finds are unbelievable!!! You have really got me worked up now, and will be pulling the ol' detector out again. My 2+ years of attempting to pan for gold in the NC mountains has not proved to be too productive. I only found two flakes. One in the pan, and one holding the pan.
Now for my question:
Does anyone know how to get through to order a subscription to Western & Eastern Treasures magazine? The web site has said "temporarily down" for days now, and I can't seem to find a phone # to call. I tried e-mailing, but no reply either.
It looks like a great magazine and I'm ready to get started.
Thanks & happy hunting.

Soon after that you thought everything you dug was Civil War...of course... that did'nt take long and you KICKED ASS this year!

I'm looking forward to your 2008 season! Grats on a new hobby, a great year, and your fantastic posts!!!

Jim

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Doug,
Your so right detecting can help put us at ease particularly when we are facing a crisis.
Congrats on a super year of detectig, your finds have pretty much covered the spectrum of detecting. Hope next year is even better with more finds and adventures for you to share here at tnet
hh
dave+bobbie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Ahhh yes Doug...

I remember your very first post like it was yesterday... actually I think it was around January 10th, 2007.

Your First Post here ever:
I wasn't sure where to post this being a newbie and all.
First off let me say, I am soooooooo glad I found your web site. What a great group of folks out there, and the finds are unbelievable!!! You have really got me worked up now, and will be pulling the ol' detector out again. My 2+ years of attempting to pan for gold in the NC mountains has not proved to be too productive. I only found two flakes. One in the pan, and one holding the pan.
Now for my question:
Does anyone know how to get through to order a subscription to Western & Eastern Treasures magazine? The web site has said "temporarily down" for days now, and I can't seem to find a phone # to call. I tried e-mailing, but no reply either.
It looks like a great magazine and I'm ready to get started.
Thanks & happy hunting.

Soon after that you thought everything you dug was Civil War...of course... that did'nt take long and you KICKED ASS this year!

I'm looking forward to your 2008 season! Grats on a new hobby, a great year, and your fantastic posts!!!

Jim

Jim,
That is hilarious to read now. Where did you dig that old archive up from? That's older than some of my finds. ;D
I remember calling everything "Civil War" instead of "Civil war era". You've been a great help to me this year, and I'll continue to bug you next year too. Thanks for your help.
MM
(aka Doug-a-licious)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave-enc said:
Doug,
Your so right detecting can help put us at ease particularly when we are facing a crisis.
Congrats on a super year of detectig, your finds have pretty much covered the spectrum of detecting. Hope next year is even better with more finds and adventures for you to share here at tnet
hh
dave+bobbie

Thanks D & B.
I look back at all the stuff I found this first year and just can't believe it. ;D It really adds up. I'm hoping to pass most of my finds off to my kids.
Hopefully they won't sell them to buy cell phones and Ipods. ;)
-Doug-

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Doug,
Very nice year end summary with pics. The way you organized you finds is sweet. I like the little baggies with detailed info on each item. I will have do something similar. The reason I don't do it is because with the limited number of buttons and such I find I can still remember where I found each one. :D

You have a great collection of relics - very impressive. The tesoro is great for those. I guess it helps too if you have some CW sites. :)

You had a great year. Go get em in '08.

Bob

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
That's quite the collection you have there :o. You could open up a mini museum ;D.
Very impressive............

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I_Dig_NYC said:
That's quite the collection you have there :o. You could open up a mini museum ;D.
Very impressive............

Thank you. Everytime I look over my finds it's hard to believe I found it all in just over a year.
-MM-

Attachments

• Relics1.JPG
    Relics1.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,447
  • Relics.JPG
    Relics.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,437

were562

Greenie
Nov 5, 2008
british columbia
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
ModernMiner said:
Well all you TN Folks out there in Treasure Land. Here are the highlights of my year. I was hoping to find my first Barber coin before year end, but so such luck. No silver seated, standing, walking, or crawling yet either. :'( I did find a few nice coins though, and a ton of other goodies. I can't post it all, but below are some of my nicer 2007 finds.
I have learned a lot about my machine this year, and love to get out to MD as much as possible.
The experiences have been wonderful, the wealth of knowledge here has been unbelievable, and the TN members are FANTASTIC. I just want to say "THANKS" to all of you for your support this year. When my Dad passed away in August, I truly think it was this hobby and you great folks that got me through that tough time. I hope everyone has a great holiday season, and an awesome 2008 MD season.

O.K., enough of that mushy stuff. Here we go:

COINS
Pictured are my IH pennies, Buff Nickels (1 war time nickel), silver quarters, and silver dimes (mostly Mercs).
My two best coins were:
*A late 1700's counterfeit Carolus Spanish silver piece of 8 reale. (Thanks Don for the ID)
*A key date 1868 IH penny.

BUTTONS
What I lacked in coin finds, I made up in old buttons. ;)
I dug over 60+ old buttons ranging from the late 1700's to early 1900's. Most were 1800's.
One of my favorites was an 1812 era button with "Strong Forever" on the back mark. (Thanks PBK & Warren Tice for the ID)

CIVIL WAR
I did fairly well with the assortment of bullets, musket balls, relics, and buttons.
My favorite two CW pieces are:
*Eagle sword belt plate. (Thanks Josh for the ID)
*6 lb. Bormann cannon ball piece (Thanks Josh for the ID)

Tags / Tokens / Keys

RELICS
Some of the larger ones pictured, but too many to post.

TOYS and TOT LOT TRINKETS
My favorites were the cannon and the 1940's lead soldier (medic).
I'm still taking the training course from BDoo on playground MDing. ;D

JEWELRY
I did pretty good on gold and diamond rings this year. I sold a couple to fund my MD hobby, but they are pictured here too.
My favorite two jewelry pieces were:
*A 1930's deco look 18k white gold and 6 diamond ring. Found on a farm.
*A large 10k gold nugget and 7 diamond ring. Found on a playground.

Thanks for looking everyone.
MM
-Doug-
i like em!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions