bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to where I found the civil war token a few weeks ago, an old farm down the road. The grass needs mowed, they dont do it often here so it made detecting slightly more challenging. I've never found a silver coin here but I've found indians, silver jewelry, civil war token, etc. I knew there had to be one here somewhere.
Still using the 6" coil on the equinox, FE2 set at 2 so I'm getting some square nails mostly. Then I hit a signal that's a solid 20 in both directions, I dig, and this is about 4" down. Both this and the token I found were on one side of the house, I'm assuming this is where the front of the house was. It seems to be part of the main trail down to the fields.

I think the VDI was lower due to it being bent, maybe someone used it at a screwdriver back on the farm. Its only my 2nd barber coin, its an 1894. I keep looking for an S mintmark but it won't appear for me so I can retire :laughing7:

Good luck detecting to all.

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_151438367-377x324.jpg
    IMG_20211010_151438367-377x324.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20211010_151448260-315x288.jpg
    IMG_20211010_151448260-315x288.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to where I found the civil war token a few weeks ago, an old farm down the road. The grass needs mowed, they dont do it often here so it made detecting slightly more challenging. I've never found a silver coin here but I've found indians, silver jewelry, civil war token, etc. I knew there had to be one here somewhere.
Still using the 6" coil on the equinox, FE2 set at 2 so I'm getting some square nails mostly. Then I hit a signal that's a solid 20 in both directions, I dig, and this is about 4" down. Both this and the token I found were on one side of the house, I'm assuming this is where the front of the house was. It seems to be part of the main trail down to the fields.

I think the VDI was lower due to it being bent, maybe someone used it at a screwdriver back on the farm. Its only my 2nd barber coin, its an 1894. I keep looking for an S mintmark but it won't appear for me so I can retire :laughing7:

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to get that S on there for you as well, along with several D's on my 1916 Mercs- never seems to work, but I'll keep trying- Congrats!!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice !

It's totally up to you but ...
I've had good luck straightening out bent coins by putting them in between two pieces of wood and hitting it with a hammer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread