My best find in 40 years of relic hunting

Dblue

Greenie
Oct 21, 2021
I've been relic hunting for 40 years here in VA. I have found several Confederate plates and numerous Union plates etc. But to me this is my best find of all...2004 Easter Sunday, I found this silver ID shield that belonged to Benjamin Gifford Co. H 121st NY. Vols. Mr. Gifford was awarded the Medal of Honor at the Battle of Sailors Creek VA...I can still remember seeing that shield in the bottom of the hole the day I dug it, like it was yesterday.

Attachments

• 27848797.Cnv0263.jpg
    27848797.Cnv0263.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 80121591_fab8f0a2-6a39-47ff-89ab-bd45b6ff8261.jpg
    80121591_fab8f0a2-6a39-47ff-89ab-bd45b6ff8261.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 21

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What an incredible find, plus you did all the research to ID the owner.

For me, finds like that make lasting memories. I still remember seeing
my first (and only) Barber dime in the bottom of a 10" deep hole.

OP
OP
D

Dblue

Greenie
Oct 21, 2021
What an incredible find, plus you did all the research to ID the owner.

For me, finds like that make lasting memories. I still remember seeing
my first (and only) Barber dime in the bottom of a 10" deep hole.
Thanks very much for looking....I have been truly blessed over the years metal detecting for Civil war relics. It's been the one hobby that I have never really quit doing over the years...It has actually kept me in shape, walking all the miles looking for new sites. I recently retired and was looking at the new detectors and decided I was going to get an Equinox 800 to try in some of my old sites...My daughter heard me talking about it and she and my son in law bought me one and gave it to me last Friday as a retirement gift....I have already taken it out to a couple of my old sites that I thought was dug out and found more relics....this new detector has re-sparked my desire to relic hunt...I can't wait to see what else I might find with it....:)

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you do this write up?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 1.19.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 1.19.45 PM.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
D

Dblue

Greenie
Oct 21, 2021
No, I didn't do that write up. In my research trying to find a photograph of Mr. Gifford, I had given several people access to my website where I store a lot of my photographs, I guess whoever did that write up got the photograph of the ID shield off my website. You can see the ID shield and some of my other relics here..... www.pbase.com/donblue/relics

OP
OP
D

Dblue

Greenie
Oct 21, 2021
No I didn't do that write up. I had contacted several people when researching Mr. Gifford's records and gave them access to my photo storage website. I guess whoever did that write up got the photograph of the ID shield off my website. I had replied earlier to your post but I guess it has to be approved by a moderator because I posted a link to my photo website where the pics of the ID shield came from. If they approve my other post you can go there and see that the photograph of the ID shield is on my website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread