Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent yesterday trying to scope out a new place to find something older using the internet tools I'm familiar with. I located a spot less than an hour out of Vegas where there was a gravel parking lot back in the 50's and 60's, and maybe earlier. I won't give any more details than that as I'm not done there just yet.

There wasn't much trash showing, so I thought it was probably bladed off long ago, but got to swinging anyways.
This is tough hunting, very dry, rocky and high mineralization, so I wasn't getting much depth. What I was doing was beating up my coil on the rocks. Ouch!
My first signal was a 1963 quarter about 5 inches down. Next was a 1961 dime, then so on and so forth.

The digging was pretty tough, even with a good hand mattock/pick tool, as there are lots of big rocks right under the surface.

Finally ended up with 10 silver coins and 16 wheat cents! I only found 3 clad coins there the whole day, a 1965 quarter, a 1965 dime and a 1966 dime.
0204231538_2.jpeg
0204231539_2.jpeg

They're a bit roughed up from being holed up in the treacherous terrain all those years, but I'm thankful to have rescued them!

0204231544.jpeg

Thanks for takin' a look!

Upvote 44

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I spent yesterday trying to scope out a new place to find something older using the internet tools I'm familiar with. I located a spot less than an hour out of Vegas where there was a gravel parking lot back in the 50's and 60's, and maybe earlier. I won't give any more details than that as I'm not done there just yet.

There wasn't much trash showing, so I thought it was probably bladed off long ago, but got to swinging anyways.
This is tough hunting, very dry, rocky and high mineralization, so I wasn't getting much depth. What I was doing was beating up my coil on the rocks. Ouch!
My first signal was a 1963 quarter about 5 inches down. Next was a 1961 dime, then so on and so forth.

The digging was pretty tough, even with a good hand mattock/pick tool, as there are lots of big rocks right under the surface.

Finally ended up with 10 silver coins and 16 wheat cents! I only found 3 clad coins there the whole day, a 1965 quarter, a 1965 dime and a 1966 dime.
View attachment 2068006 View attachment 2068007

They're a bit roughed up from being holed up in the treacherous terrain all those years, but I'm thankful to have rescued them!

View attachment 2068008

AWESOME day ten silvers man I got something to shoot for can't even find one with my detector, I do better with silver digging dumps lol great digs brother way to persevere through the gravel and mineral chatter

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

View attachment 2068008

View attachment 2068008

Congrats OldMx,

Nice Job, it is not easy to dig in those kind of terrain.

Nice hunting day,

Keep posting

👍🏽😎

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2068008

Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... a (10) silver coin hunt - fantastic !!! :occasion14:

Old parking areas covered in stone are often overlooked because they are really tough to hunt.
I've had good luck hunting them and I've found using a Screwdriver in the stone is a lot easier than a Digger.
So, I always keep a few different size Screwdrivers in my metal detecting box.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Saves on the silver. Your patience and persistence paid off Big Time. Well Done.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2068008

Parking lot hunting is an overlooked area to hunt. I have been doing it for years with great success. A fellow I ran into several years back started hunting the large gravel parking area of a 100 year old amusement park. The silver this guy found was unbelievable. Many Barber coins. You are correct that a gold type pick might be the tool for the job. It is hard to get down to the 5 inch depth. Great day for you!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your success
Great post and thank you for sharing

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2068008

That is one awesome silver day!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a large number of all kinds of old and odd items over the years . But your one day at an old parking lot far exceeds my lifetime total of coins of any kind that I ever found .Nice to go out and have a good day.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and persistence!💪
Thanks Blackfoot! I often question some of the hair-brained ideas I come up with, especially when they only pay off about 1 in 20 times. Been really lucky lately.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all the silver in some very tough digging.

(I finally got my first Merc, and a Buff, about 2 weeks ago in a commercial space being remodeled. Plumbers were down about 4 feet.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread