My Best Year Ever!! CAPTN_SEs 07 Totals!!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
My Best Year Ever!! CAPTN_SE's '07 Totals!!!

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year to All!!

Today is a bittersweet day with now many fond memories of last year still fresh in my mind. 2007 was a year I will never forget. It surpassed all my previous years of md'ing combined. I met and have detected with many knowledgable and enthusiastic md'ers in '07. I consider all of them my good friends. I have also helped many here on Tnet with their Explorer detectors, giving them hints/pointers and intial setup advise; more than a hundred questions from newbies and experienced hunters. I really did feel like a "CAPTAIN". ;D

All of these finds you will see would not have been possible if I had worked a 40-50 hr. week like I have been doing in the past 15 years. '07 was unique. In mid '06 through the beginning of '07, I came down with chronic fatigue syndrome and stayed on medical leave/disability for the duration of that time. My disabling chronic fatigue was caused by a wheat/gluten intolerance (celiac) which hampered my body's ability to absorb key nutrients/minerals in my food. Being fatigue was a definite understatement. I could barely walk up 5 stairs to my kitchen in Dec. '06. It was very depressing and frightening. Before this all happened, I was an avid runner(30-40Km/wk) and backpacker. Under a strict diet, I also needed to get outside and keep my body moving, which my doctor said would benefit me more than being immobile all day. I decided to try detecting again, after taking a near 15 year hiatus from a hobby I thoroughly enjoyed back in my teens. I brushed off the dust from my Whites 6000 Di Pro and started swinging my coil at a local park. At first, I couldn't even detect for 15 minutes. Each time I bent down to recover my find left me completely exhausted,and my muscles twitching profusely. While at home, I found Tnet and a local CA detecting forum on the Net. Everyone's finds inspired me to continue to go out and detect a little each day, no matter how bad I felt. Within weeks, 15 minute detecting days increased to 30 minute days. Within months, I was able to detect for a few hours, and feeling much better than I had in a while. My finds weren't that great in the beginning(I managed a few silver coins), but it was just my increased stamina that I looked forward to each and every day I got out detecting. After meeting up with some avid md'ers in my area early in Jan. '07, I decided that I wanted to take my hobby to the next level. With their advice, I traded my old detector in for a Minelab SE. The machine was so different than my older detector. I wasn't sure I made the right decision, but didn't give up. In short time, I was starting to get the hang of the machine, while my body was healing in the process. It didn't take me long to find my first silver coin. I struck silver on my second hunt with my SE. I was ecstatic. Looking back on some of my first posts with my SE, I see I was finding 1 to 2 silver coins for each hunt. As the months went by, and my knowledge of my machine and my stamina started to increase, my old coin finds were equally rising. Soon, I could detect over a half a day, and was starting to find 3 to 4 silver coins each hunt. This inspired me to continue, creating an obsession to hunt whenever I was able to. My silver fix grew, and my finds started to get even better. My 3-4 silver days started to increase to 5-6, followed by a few 8-12 silver days. Almost everyone on the detecting forums started to wonder who I was, and a few began questioning whether I was actually finding my coins. After meeting with about 7-8 other md'ers in my area, it didn't take long for them to see I was an honest person who was leeching the ground of old coinage at a better than average rate. ;D I had such a great time with everyone I've hunted with in '07. The comeraderie/friendships/competitiveness was priceless! I even got to travel to Iowa/Nebraska with a couple of my best buddies and had a wonderful week hunting there. Over 90% of my finds in '07 came from a total of 55 parks within a 60 mile radius of my home. That's a lot of turf!! Today, I'm about 80% back to my old self in terms of my stamina, which I consider my greatest achievement in '07. I'm very glad I found Tnet and my local forum (Kinzli) in '07. I've made many lasting friendships, while also making a few green with envy. ;D Thanks to all for helping to inspire me, and for making '07 my best detecting year of my life.

Happy New Year,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2186_BestYear (950 x 713).jpg
    IMG_2186_BestYear (950 x 713).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9,237
  • Totals_07.jpg
    Totals_07.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 9,279
  • IMG_2186_BestYear (950 x 713).jpg
    IMG_2186_BestYear (950 x 713).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9,219
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Re: My Best Year Ever!! CAPTN_SE's '07 Totals!!!

more pics..

Mercs Vs. Rosies...
My Halfs
My Quarters

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 8,929
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 9,002
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9,045

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great totals and great pictures, glad we actually get to see what you look like.
Make 2008 and even greater year.
I always look forward to your post.
Thanks for sharing!
Rob

PS. Forgot to mention I am glad you are on the road to good health and hope everything goes well for you from hear on out.

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

more...

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 8,753
  • IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 8,877
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 8,910
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

"3001 Wheat Odyssey"...And some of my lucky charms...

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 8,694

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90

Very impressive Capt Se! Just sulking over my Illinois Rose Bowl loss, thought i would cheer myself up by looking at T-NET. Glad i did. What a year you had. Glad to hear your feeling better. Happy New year.
GO ILLINI
Coinman66

PS: Let me take a guess, your a USC fan?

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

WOW!! :o :o I've been hunting for about 5 solid years now, and can't even come close to those totals!! Way to go buddie! :D

I truly hope that you continue to get better and be able to hunt. I wonder if I have chronic fatigue as well. I'm exhausted ALL the time. I'll have to check into it. Happy New Year to you!!

HH,
Moon

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW and Holy Cr*p! I wish I knew you when I lived outside Riverside. I did some detecting while I was in the Marines. I wish I would have had a water machine then.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Dan,

It has been an awesome year for you. I have always enjoyed your threads to the fullest, bud. But, most of all, I cherish your friendship even more. You have a passion for this hobby like no other and it truly shows in your finds. Not only have you learned to conquer the fatigue, but you have also surpassed the limits of normalcy...you definitely are not the average detectorist.

Like I stated, it has been an honor to befriend you this year, my friend. :) Of all the lessons you have taught Tnet members this year, the main one I "put into my heart and hold with metal detecting love" is your unuttered motto: Never give up! :)

Thank you for the laughs this year as well. :D :)

Keep swinging with the fever, my friend! :) 2008 will treat you well!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan,
All I can say is, I didn't know all those old coins existed in Cali parks, and I wish I was into MDing when I lived out there. :'(
Good God Man, what a great year for you!!! You could fund a LOT of new equipment with that haul.
3001 Wheaties is amazing. I think I have about 80 at best. ;D
Looking forward to seeing you finds in 08'. You're post have been most enjoyable. ;)
Congrats Dan,
Doug

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the GREAT YEAR !!!

I have always enjoyed reading your post...

GOOD LUCK IN 08

Don't tell Disability your better or your hunting hours will be diminished ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We wouldn't want that....

Happy New Year Dan

DPSB

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Dan you obviously had a great year and hopefully a full return to health...will you be working in 08? I find plenty of time to hunt and I work full time. But I do work midnights, which allows me to hunt a few hours each morning when I feel like it. Also I notice you have tons of silver, in fact a ton... great work on the silver. How many gold pieces did you find? Maybe this is an area other Explorer users could help you with.... I see a few guys pulling a ton of gold with Explorers and talked to one this summer in person. Are you intentionally running with your discrimination high...I think if this is the case...dropping it and recovering even a few gold pieces more would be worth it...Well hopefully your health comes around to 100%.... Keep up the great finds...

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Good work there, Captn. Your story is very inspiring. Congrats on conquering your illness and on all your great finds. Keep it going.
Bob

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.

Capt,
What a great story and a great hoard of coins and jewelry. So glad you made it back to health as well as you have and hope you come around full swing in 2008.
Thanks for sharing this with us and the photos. You are an inspiration to us all. Continued Blessings and Success... Highwater

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer

Captn_SE said:
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year to All!!

Today is a bittersweet day with now many fond memories of last year still fresh in my mind. 2007 was a year I will never forget. It surpassed all my previous years of md'ing combined. I met and have detected with many knowledgable and enthusiastic md'ers in '07. I consider all of them my good friends. I have also helped many here on Tnet with their Explorer detectors, giving them hints/pointers and intial setup advise; more than a hundred questions from newbies and experienced hunters. I really did feel like a "CAPTAIN". ;D

All of these finds you will see would not have been possible if I had worked a 40-50 hr. week like I have been doing in the past 15 years. '07 was unique. In mid '06 through the beginning of '07, I came down with chronic fatigue syndrome and stayed on medical leave/disability for the duration of that time. My disabling chronic fatigue was caused by a wheat/gluten intolerance (celiac) which hampered my body's ability to absorb key nutrients/minerals in my food. Being fatigue was a definite understatement. I could barely walk up 5 stairs to my kitchen in Dec. '06. It was very depressing and frightening. Before this all happened, I was an avid runner(30-40Km/wk) and backpacker. Under a strict diet, I also needed to get outside and keep my body moving, which my doctor said would benefit me more than being immobile all day. I decided to try detecting again, after taking a near 15 year hiatus from a hobby I thoroughly enjoyed back in my teens. I brushed off the dust from my Whites 6000 Di Pro and started swinging my coil at a local park. At first, I couldn't even detect for 15 minutes. Each time I bent down to recover my find left me completely exhausted,and my muscles twitching profusely. While at home, I found Tnet and a local CA detecting forum on the Net. Everyone's finds inspired me to continue to go out and detect a little each day, no matter how bad I felt. Within weeks, 15 minute detecting days increased to 30 minute days. Within months, I was able to detect for a few hours, and feeling much better than I had in a while. My finds weren't that great in the beginning(I managed a few silver coins), but it was just my increased stamina that I looked forward to each and every day I got out detecting. After meeting up with some avid md'ers in my area early in Jan. '07, I decided that I wanted to take my hobby to the next level. With their advice, I traded my old detector in for a Minelab SE. The machine was so different than my older detector. I wasn't sure I made the right decision, but didn't give up. In short time, I was starting to get the hang of the machine, while my body was healing in the process. It didn't take me long to find my first silver coin. I struck silver on my second hunt with my SE. I was ecstatic. Looking back on some of my first posts with my SE, I see I was finding 1 to 2 silver coins for each hunt. As the months went by, and my knowledge of my machine and my stamina started to increase, my old coin finds were equally rising. Soon, I could detect over a half a day, and was starting to find 3 to 4 silver coins each hunt. This inspired me to continue, creating an obsession to hunt whenever I was able to. My silver fix grew, and my finds started to get even better. My 3-4 silver days started to increase to 5-6, followed by a few 8-12 silver days. Almost everyone on the detecting forums started to wonder who I was, and a few began questioning whether I was actually finding my coins. After meeting with about 7-8 other md'ers in my area, it didn't take long for them to see I was an honest person who was leeching the ground of old coinage at a better than average rate. ;D I had such a great time with everyone I've hunted with in '07. The comeraderie/friendships/competitiveness was priceless! I even got to travel to Iowa/Nebraska with a couple of my best buddies and had a wonderful week hunting there. Over 90% of my finds in '07 came from a total of 55 parks within a 60 mile radius of my home. That's a lot of turf!! Today, I'm about 80% back to my old self in terms of my stamina, which I consider my greatest achievement in '07. I'm very glad I found Tnet and my local forum (Kinzli) in '07. I've made many lasting friendships, while also making a few green with envy. ;D Thanks to all for helping to inspire me, and for making '07 my best detecting year of my life.

Happy New Year,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Dan
which coil do you use the most I have tried them all except for the kellyco ones and have found that the X-8 sunray works well for me great finds going to be hard to beat for sure good luck in 2008 HH RonC

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer

Truly amazing finds Captain SE, may 2008 be just as good to you. Continued Success and good hunting.

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Two words:

Attachments

• 04.4.gif
    04.4.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 8,159
  • 04.4.gif
    04.4.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 8,145

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe

Great post Cptn SE, you inspired me to post something I always wanted to share with you all. Check it out if you get a chance. Thanks for all you do!!!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whoa... that's quite a story and even more incredible year!

Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread