My buddy Mitch

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its the 7th of Dec again my ole mining buddy Mitchels birthday, he passed over the divide been about 10 years back I think, anyways we have a tradition in hardrock minin to honor our dead minin buddy's, keeping with the tradition went out today an mucked out about 2/3rds of a ton of caved fill from an old timer dig, it was on a vein that pinched out on the old guy 1800s miner..
Well I mucked her out and followed the pinch that ended up swelling to about 6 inches by four foot before peterin out into some crappy minerlizations with no gold.

The ore I did manage to get was showing values in the pan with an occasional speck I could see with my miners lens in the rock.
Managed about 400 lbs of purple vuggy ore before I was exhausted from the muckin and throwing around my 35lber electric jack hammer..
Would of made Mitch proud.

He was a Navy seal in vietnam and was wounded, came back home to be a beat cop in Philadelphia, even though he was a cop he didn't really care for guns or to tote them.

One time we had some high graders out at the mine he got tired of it so he asked if I could ride shotgun, I agreed only I didn't get a shot gun he gave me a pick ax handle, grabbed one for his self off we went, longest 18 miles of my life. Whole ride out I was prayin I didn't have to use that handle on someone, the Mitch had a taste for the Canadian mist and had a quart with him every couple miles he'd take a healthy chug off that bottle then pass it to me.
I hit it purty good hoping it would give me some courage, as I was scared out of my mind we we're gonna have to beat on some high graders with wooden tools. Closer we got the more buzzed we we're getting, Mitch's voice was kinda gravely as one of his wound from nam was to his throat. He kept cussing I hope we catch those guys.
Mitch liked to get in an occasional scuff had no problems with the fight he was a big tough ole guy, me I don't like the tussle but if I have to I will.

Anyways we get to the mine he hauls butt up the only road into the mine chugging the last of that bottle, we get to the hole and thank God the only thing there was a pile of ore n the screw driver they were using to dig out the gold. Guess they had a lookout or were hiding in a nearby wash we found nobody, I was happy for that didn't have to use the pick handle

Mitch probably would of just used his bare hands like I said he liked the fight, so we bleeped the area they were digging picked up some crumbs, observed foot prints, took the screw driver and made the dry drive back to the shop .

Never did catch those Yahoo's and from that day on Mitchel and I were best of friends.
We drank much whiskey together...
Hope you all like my story of Mitchel n the pick ax handles
Gt......

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb, hope ya find some good values for all your labor today. Hard work
is hard work, but finding good color sure helps sooth the sore muscles.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Mitch sounds like a good man..the
kind America could use a few more of today. He was fortunate to have
a good friend like you...one who remembers a man and his deeds.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wasn't able to get out last Dec 7 for a memorial dig, did next best thing and smelted about a 1/4 ounce of Dale gold in memory of good ole Mitch.
Gave the button to Jboy hope he got a good price for it.

I miss ole Mitch and the days we would hangout at Mitchell's mill.
Glad him n I got the mill switched over from his gas power to three phase electric..
Best thing was him sitin in his wheel chair and seeing the smile on his face when I fired up the genarator gave him thumbs up, and he hit the switch on the mill .
Gt..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread