Upvote 21

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chisels. Ive never found a whole one...yet. thanks for the look...

CreekSide

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2023
Cool I wish they used them around here. I’ve never seen one in person. Thanks for showing them

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are beautiful. I have never found one either but have seen a few.
Nice collection you have.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Thanks.
I obtained the George Osterman chisel from his decedents in 1984.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they were hated in a handle like a Celt I’d call them pick axes. A chisel if held in the hand. Second from bottom is a work of art. Too nice to use!

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am not 100% sure myself.

I believe they are specialized too for shaping wood and softer more pliable stone. Similar to how the celt and adz are related. Similar in form, yet the adz has a more arced and offset bit and is hafted differently.

That being said the site I found the chisel could be expected to yield some additional great relics over time - I hope. From this site I have found an amazing broken heartbreaker point, other hardstone relic with many flint projectile points.

Jim Maus has a fine article on chisels and their use. I believe Jim is an associated editor for the Central States Archaeological Societies (CSASI)

Here is the heartbreaker point, I am hoping to find the other half. This field has an interesting history of finds.
20190106_100309.jpg

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I am thinking the tip is there somewhere. I am thinking there's more hardstone too. already produced 3 nice hardstone relics.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Great collection, would like to see better pics of your personal find chisel, looks like an interesting material.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not 100% sure myself.

I believe they are specialized too for shaping wood and softer more pliable stone. Similar to how the celt and adz are related. Similar in form, yet the adz has a more arced and offset bit and is hafted differently.

That being said the site I found the chisel could be expected to yield some additional great relics over time - I hope. From this site I have found an amazing broken heartbreaker point, other hardstone relic with many flint projectile points.

Jim Maus has a fine article on chisels and their use. I believe Jim is an associated editor for the Central States Archaeological Societies (CSASI)

Here is the heartbreaker point, I am hoping to find the other half. This field has an interesting history of finds.
View attachment 2075838
Quote the point, “HEY! LOOK DOWN HERE! STOP!! I’M OVER HERE! WHAT, ARE YOU BLIND?!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread