My Coiltek 10 x 5 for my 800 arrived today

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was several days late, but it did finally arrive. should be called a 9 x 5, not sure where they got the 10 from. I have high hopes for it because on my AT pro I had the 5x8" coil and loved it.

But still it is a sweet coil. Have not put it on my 800 yet. will wait until after 6:00 pm when it cools off a little in Atlanta.

Next week I am going to order my Steve's detector rod (upper/lower) from my 800 to make it even lighter and remove the wobble.

I am hoping that the reduce weight from the smaller coil and carbon rods will make my swinging easier on my arm. After an hour or so, my arm gets tired. I will probably order steve's counter balance also. Have read this helps a lot on arm fatigue.

Will keep all posted on how it is going. By the way orderd my Coiltek 10 x 5 4 days ago. Hint, order from smaller dealers as others have said on this forum. Got my from Phil Myers. Shipped promptly and the only delay was the USPS.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody got a new toy let me know how it is I got the three coils now probably need the fourth just let me know what you think. I do think the 6 inch is to small for how I like to detect.

CPT_GhostLight

Greenie
Jul 21, 2021
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, & ProFind 35, Whites Prizm 6T, Fisher Gold Bug 2 & F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was several days late, but it did finally arrive. should be called a 9 x 5, not sure where they got the 10 from. I have high hopes for it because on my AT pro I had the 5x8" coil and loved it.

But still it is a sweet coil. Have not put it on my 800 yet. will wait until after 6:00 pm when it cools off a little in Atlanta.

Next week I am going to order my Steve's detector rod (upper/lower) from my 800 to make it even lighter and remove the wobble.

I am hoping that the reduce weight from the smaller coil and carbon rods will make my swinging easier on my arm. After an hour or so, my arm gets tired. I will probably order steve's counter balance also. Have read this helps a lot on arm fatigue.

Will keep all posted on how it is going. By the way orderd my Coiltek 10 x 5 4 days ago. Hint, order from smaller dealers as others have said on this forum. Got my from Phil Myers. Shipped promptly and the only delay was the USPS.

You will love the 10x5" coil. Since I got mine, I haven't felt the need to put the 11" back on yet and it's been almost 4 months now. Also, I got my Steve's Detector Rod with the counterbalance last Summer and never had arm fatigue again with the 11" or the 15" coil. I did remove the counterbalance with the 10x5" because it balances perfectly without it, but I keep it on hand in case I need to go with one of the larger coils. The Nox with the 10x5" and Steve's Rod is so nice and light and balanced, it makes me wonder why Minelab doesn't offer a package like that. It's the Cat' Pajamas!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
You will love the 10x5" coil. Since I got mine, I haven't felt the need to put the 11" back on yet and it's been almost 4 months now. Also, I got my Steve's Detector Rod with the counterbalance last Summer and never had arm fatigue again with the 11" or the 15" coil. I did remove the counterbalance with the 10x5" because it balances perfectly without it, but I keep it on hand in case I need to go with one of the larger coils. The Nox with the 10x5" and Steve's Rod is so nice and light and balanced, it makes me wonder why Minelab doesn't offer a package like that. It's the Cat' Pajamas!

Does it hit 8-9 inch dimes as well as the 11" coil? I worry that the 10x5 is limited near 5 inches.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have ordered Steve's rods ready for the counter balance, but not with the counter balance. The coiltek 10x5 for the nox swing pretty good. Took it out for 3 hours in the heat from 6:00 - 9:00 pm. My arm with the stock coil starts getting tired after only 1 hour. Tonight it was only the heat that got me not the arm. When I get steves uppper/lower rods I think it will be just perfect for me. The coil appears to be really well made. It swings pretty easy in the ground ivy that is common to some of my Civil War sites. But of course digging through those roots is still not too easy.

I am thinking the 10 x 5 will be on my machine a lot. On good CW sites I will grid out and dig all the more shallow targets and then return on a wet day with the stock coil swinging slow and a recovery speed of 5 or below.

CPT_GhostLight

Greenie
Jul 21, 2021
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, & ProFind 35, Whites Prizm 6T, Fisher Gold Bug 2 & F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it hit 8-9 inch dimes as well as the 11" coil? I worry that the 10x5 is limited near 5 inches.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. In my highly mineralized soil, the 10x5" hits as deep as my 11" does. I don't think I've dug any 8" or 9" dimes with either coil so far but I have hit them at 6-7" with both coils. The 11" coil may have a depth advantage in some soils, but from what I've seen, I don't think it's more than an inch deeper than the 10x5".

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tested it on 3 Rosies buried today (so no halo effect). Hit 4" solid, 6" ok, 8" no TID but a squeak at 4kHZ. I suspect with an old test garden or on a actual dig, it would hit the 8" dime. Others have said it would and I believe them.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I wouldn't worry too much about that. In my highly mineralized soil, the 10x5" hits as deep as my 11" does. I don't think I've dug any 8" or 9" dimes with either coil so far but I have hit them at 6-7" with both coils. The 11" coil may have a depth advantage in some soils, but from what I've seen, I don't think it's more than an inch deeper than the 10x5".

All I know is that I can take my 600 with the 11" coil out to my coin garden and hit the dedicated silver dime I buried at 9 inches years ago, easy peasy, all day long. I just want the 10x5 reliable to 7 and 8 inches, not limited around 5 & 6.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread