My coin collection so far.

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I am not posting to brag about my collection, first off. I thought I would share with all of you what I have in my coin collection to help me get some social interaction, which is something I struggle with. That’s all.

Here is my coin collection. If you want to see a picture of a specific coin, feel free to ask, and I will get it posted here.

Key:
Circulation=found in circulation
Bought=bought at a coin shop
Coin roll(s)=found coin roll hunting

2010 D Franklin Pierce dollar coin (Circulation)

1979 D Susan B Anthony Dollar (Circulation)

1976 D Quarter (Circulation)

1976 S Half Dollar clad Proof (Bought)

1976 D Eisenhower Dollar (Bought)

All 4 2004-2005 Jefferson Commemoratives (Coin rolls)

All 4 Lincoln Commemoratives (mix of coin rolls and circulation)

1942 S Wartime Silver Nickel (Bought)

1943 S Wartime Silver Nickel (Bought)

1951 d Franklin half dollar (Bought)

2000 s New Hampshire clad proof (coin roll)

2019 w San Antonio Missions quarter (coin roll)

2020 w v75 Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller quarter (coin roll)

1925 s silver peace dollar (bought)

1966 silver half dollar (bought)

1945 s silver quarter (bought)

1920 mercury dime (bought)

1942 mercury dime (coin roll)

1961 d silver dime (circulation)

1952 silver dime (circulation)

1940d nickel “crocodile on the roof” error (coin roll)

Wheat pennies of the following types:
1957d, 1935d, 1951d, 1958d, 1934, 1958, 1942s, 1950d, 1956d, 1940, 1952d, 1949s, 1941s, 1944, 1951s, 1930d, unknown date wheat penny (corroded,) 1955d, 1955s (mix of coin rolls and circulation.)

Indian heads of the following years:
1897, 1902, 1904, 1906 (bought)

And 22 foreign coins!

I may have missed some coins, if I did, I’ll add them later.

I hope you all enjoyed reading what’s in my collection.

Jared

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I would like to know more about your 1940d nickel error coin. On a day like today, 9 above and snow pack, I think about looking threw some coins but I’m just figuring it all out. Have a great day.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I would like to know more about your 1940d nickel error coin. On a day like today, 9 above and snow pack, I think about looking threw some coins but I’m just figuring it all out. Have a great day.

Well, the error is a die chip. It got on Monticello just right, and it looks like there is a crocodile resting on the roof. That’s why I call it that. I had a coin shop look at it, they said, “die chip.”

Here’s a picture of it.

image.jpg

Also, I apologize. It’s an S, not a D. I need new glasses.

Jared

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve learnt that I need to look at my change a lot better. I’m just figuring out but with all the coins made I prolly tossed that million dollar penny out thinking someone else could find a penny pick it up.
No matter, if it only cost a Penney to make anybody’s day, that’s worth a million to me...

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve learnt that I need to look at my change a lot better. I’m just figuring out but with all the coins made I prolly tossed that million dollar penny out thinking someone else could find a penny pick it up.
No matter, if it only cost a Penney to make anybody’s day, that’s worth a million to me...

Well, I’m glad I could help educate somebody. Looking through change is fun. Whether you find anything or not, it’s fun.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you would like, I am going to pick up some coin rolls tomorrow. I can make a video and show you and others what to look for and how I look at coins.

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that Peace Dollar ( one of my favorite U.S.
coins) When you can , grab a Walking Liberty half dollar - considered by many to be the most beautiful U.S. silver coin ! Thank's for sharing .
( what's your favorite coin so far ?)

My favorite so far is the 1942 mercury dime I found recently. First silver coin I ever found in a coin roll, actually. The other two were found in change when I was purchasing something at the store.

The coin that got me started with coin collecting was the 1979 d Susan B Anthony dollar. I was at the store with my mother. We were paying at the self checkout. She dropped a quarter she was going to put in the machine. I picked it up for her. Then, I said, “Mom, that’s not a quarter.”

Ever since I found that one Susan B Anthony, I have been collecting coins.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I missed your offer about video. Sure, yes please, I shut off satellite tv because nothing on. Show me please, Show is all. I’m going to guess you will teach someone and get a lesson from someone on some of the little stuff that’s really important too. Have a great day!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a GREAT start on your collection...! :icon_thumright:
I started mine, as a Boy Scout - got a merit badge for it, too...!
One requirement was a Type Collection, and mounted....
THAT got me interested in coins, OLD coins...!
Rare coins! and, oddities, like double strike....
But now, I metal detect, impulsively...!
...a Natural Progression, wouldn't you agree...? :laughing7:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin collecting is how a lot of us got into the detecting hobby. I know that's how I started anyway. Like Eyemustdigtreasure, I earned a Merit Badge in the Boy Scouts. It is a fun hobby, and congrats on your collection.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite so far is the 1942 mercury dime I found recently. First silver coin I ever found in a coin roll, actually. The other two were found in change when I was purchasing something at the store.

The coin that got me started with coin collecting was the 1979 d Susan B Anthony dollar. I was at the store with my mother. We were paying at the self checkout. She dropped a quarter she was going to put in the machine. I picked it up for her. Then, I said, “Mom, that’s not a quarter.”

Ever since I found that one Susan B Anthony, I have been collecting coins.
Those (clad) dollar coins are scarce - I've hunted nearly everywhere, locally, and ran across only one in the dirt...!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was a youngster, I had a big collection. I had near complete sets of wheat, jeffersons,mercs,Indians,rosies and was working on silver washingtons.....when I got stupid at 17.....sold them all to a coin shop in our local mall for next to nothing....just to lee what little cash I got wasted within a few days. Do not follow that example. You are off to a good start

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a boy I had a great aunt who got me interested in collecting coins. This was about 1970. She had saved a piggy bank - a real 1930's pink pig plaster bank that you had to bust a hole into to open - that was filled with silver coins and early Lincoln cents. We would spend hours in the evenings at her old metal kitchen table looking at dates & mint marks, and I would always go home with a pocket full of coins.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your collection,I always look at my pocket change,but so far nothing but a common war nickle,1944 if I remember right,I don,t have it close by right now.Would enjoy the video if you get around to making it.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a boy I had a great aunt who got me interested in collecting coins. This was about 1970. She had saved a piggy bank - a real 1930's pink pig plaster bank that you had to bust a hole into to open - that was filled with silver coins and early Lincoln cents. We would spend hours in the evenings at her old metal kitchen table looking at dates & mint marks, and I would always go home with a pocket full of coins.
Cool memories, for sure!
My uncle showed me his coin collection, mostly silver dollars - three bags of them...! He always showed me the currency of Germany, where he served in the Army infantry ....
Anyway, as a kid, I buried a treasure chest (small coin bank), full of coins, even Indian Cents - it still maybe there, at my boyhood home site....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions