My detector finnally ate it...

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Was detecting in the neighbors field today finding some cool stuff and all of a sudden rod holding the coil on snapped off...It has also been giving false signals for awhile and a few things on it are loose and wiggle around when im swinging it..I really need a good relic machine :-\ I really like the tesoro cibola, seems like the perfect machine for the job, unfortunately its too much money for me or my family to get right now :'( Thats why i have began selling stuff, starting with a few coins: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,24788.0.html Right now i have 30 bucks, the cibola costs 340 new, cant find a used one :(

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that Jake. All I can think if is duct tape! ::) Monty

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thats what i think ill have to do for now, fill the shaft with superglue and use some small metal rods to brace it and duct tape it up :-\ Guess it'l do for today...those small vines can do a number on coils if they get caught.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no Jake! ?:'(

Monty's right....tape that thing up and keep on going till you get your funds in order!

I know about those vines! Yall would have laughed your butts off if you'd seen me in the vines and bamboo yesterday! All I could do to keep from just cursing the stuff!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Nana ?:)

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? If the break is close to the coil don't use metal rods. ?If it's where the plastic shaft and metal shaft join. ?See if you can get a couple of plastic pieces that look like angle iron at the hardware store. ?They'll cup the shaft on either side, and along with some glue and electrical shrink wrap, it should hold pretty good. ?I did the same years ago. And still have it and still holding. But the detector is retired now. But I used it a couple of years that way. The plastic pieces should probably be 4 to 6 inches long for sturdyness. You can use a hair dryer on the shrink wrap, works fine. ?If the shaft is hollow on both ends. Then you can get a wooden dowel that just fits inside the shaft and then glue and shrink wrap. And don't need the plastic unless you want it for extra measure. ? ? ? ?HH ?

? ? ? Forgot? ? ? You can use plastic tie wraps to hold the plastic angle pieces securly in place before or after shrink wrap. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's glueable try JB Weld glue sold at most lumber supply store (Lowes, etc.). That stuff is unbelievably strong.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, you can buy replacement parts from Bounty Hunter, and they are not expensive at all. Just call them and they will give you a price for the parts and shipping, and then send them a check or give them a CC#. I bought my Pioneer 101 on eBay and it was damaged in shpping, and they sent me a whole new handle assembly and lower coil rod and the hardware for it for around $20.00. I got my parts from the from Texas to RI in a week, which is not bad. Even if you want to save for the Cibola, get the BH fixed and then keep it as a backup for the Cibola. Good luck!!

PS: You can find a list of replacement parts on the Bounty Hunter website

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

sorry to hear of your problems. All things must pass.

Look at the good side. It is not Spring, real hunting season is on hold for now in your area of the
country. Any after school job going, Christmas is a good time to pick up a few extra bucks.

Good luck, sure you will work it all out.

have a good un............

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks a ton for the tip! I had no idea you could replace all this stuff! Ill have to order a new shaft:

Lower tube with plastic extension
$9.95
Part Number: Tube4x

10 bucks isnt bad...and when i order it il also get alot of other small spare parts, i think the coil knob is stripping and my knobs on control box are a little faded and rusty too :P

I am planning on keeping it as a backup for REALLY trashy areas or for my family to use at the beach when they are bored ;D

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
If your coil knob is stripped it usually is an indication that the coil keeps shifting and you tighten the snot out of it to keep it in place. When you order the new nut and bolt be sure to include the rubber washers that go on each side of the coil piece. Order a spare nut and bolt and a few pairs of spare washers.

The do wear and when they won't hold position replace them. They are cheap and easy to replace and you save wear and tear on the plastic bolt and nut and the frustration of dealing with a coil that won't stay in position.

They also make a small bracket that will hold the coil in position. I do not use the bracket because when you do, the coil angle is fixed and I am always changing mine. I keep mine tight enough to maintain position but still allow me to change by hitting the ground forcing the coil to realign with whatever surface I am sweeping. Lots of people do like them though.

Good luck and HH.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Those kinds of nuts, bolts and washers arent available for my detector :-\ But i will just get a few of the knobs to connect the coil on so if one strips i have more. I do the same thing with my coil to adjust to slopes and stuff.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
No they sell them, jsut not with rubber washers and stuff. I think it would hold alot better, so maybe ill put a small rubber washer in there for grip :)

Z

ZumbroKid

if you can not find the rubber ones make them out of leather.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Sorry to hear about that Jake,,, I hope ya get it all worked out...
I no all about the money situation, that's why I go to this site: http://www.losttreasure.com/WINPRIZES/ at least once a month to try to win me a back up detector... I've been signing up for over a year and haven't won anything yet, but maybe you'll have better luck... As Monty suggested, that duck tape will fix just about anything...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to use an old Whites 6000D. I would break about 2 a year. I always kept about 1/2 dozen extra lower shafts with me at all times. I think they were only a couple of dollars at that time. I hope the engineers changed that design caused it was very poor.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always looking for ways to improve equipment. I would look for a fiberglass broom handle that is hollow. It will be thicker and stronger and won't interfere with your coil. I kept breaking the probe off my Automax II pinpointer, so when I was given a new one I put a thick collar of JB Weld around the area that breaks.....wallah....!!! no more breaks. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread