My favorite find

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to Treasurenet. Been asked to join for a while. Thank you for having me!

I've been asked many times over the years- What's your favorite find? I've been very lucky and saved some incredible pieces of history over the years but I never had a true #1 favorite find till now. A model 1810 Militia Belt Plate. Being so close to the turning point of the War Of 1812 this buckle really hits home for me. It was dug on private property. 1784 farm with owners permission.

Attached are some screen shots from the video, a few cleaned photos, and I'll link the video as well.

If you want to share your favorite find on this thread I'd love to see it.

Thanks for looking,
Kurt

IMG_4419.PNG IMG_4418.PNG IMG_4417.PNG IMG_4416.PNG IMG_4422.jpg IMG_4423.jpg

https://youtu.be/kmAjtW6oaXo

Upvote 50

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you're just getting into the TNET game, Kurt? Figured you would have been here years ago. Anywhoooo. Still cant believe that thing didnt get absolutely smashed by a plow being in that field for all of those years. And how that gold gilt stayed intact too...just an unreal find, no doubt! Cant wait for that hunts episode in a few weeks! See ya wednesday! -Gavin

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet sir. I always wondered why you were not here. I recognized DFW_THer, and figured you might be lurking near by. I know you from your "work" on the You Tube, imagine that.

Congrats on the killer the belt plate. There is a similar one up top, on the banner, right now.

If you ever get to the Charlotte area, do not hesitate to PM me, I'd love to take you out for BBQ. You're not vegan are you?

I look forward to seeing your posts. Thanks for all the hard work on the videos. Best of luck to you.

Thank you the kind words and invite Tom! I used to be on here years ago before YouTube. Time flies when you're having fun. Yes I'm a meat eater. Hahaha! All the best

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1462268

Here is my favorite find Kurt. An 1880-90 Smith and Wesson New Model 3 44 Cal revolver found in Korea at a US Army 1940s dump.
The Japanese Imperial Army imported these revolvers from S&W in the 1880s because they did not yet have a small arms industry. My theory is that they brought this revolver to Korea during their occupation 1910-1945. It was probably discarded at the end of WW2 because it was obsolete.
I found this revolver in 2015 at a 1940s dump. WW2 era US Army and USMC buttons and other relics as well as some Imperial Japanese Army relics and 1940s South Korea Army buttons also surfaced. I also found some 1943-45 dated US Army issued Coke bottles in this dump.
I have since cleaned it and can see some of the S&W 1860s-70s patent numbers. This is my favorite find.

Congrats on the weapon Jeff! That's a great one. Hard to come by. Thanks for sharing. All the best

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kurt, I'd have to think on mine awhile. I've been looking for stuff since I was very little.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you're just getting into the TNET game, Kurt? Figured you would have been here years ago. Anywhoooo. Still cant believe that thing didnt get absolutely smashed by a plow being in that field for all of those years. And how that gold gilt stayed intact too...just an unreal find, no doubt! Cant wait for that hunts episode in a few weeks! See ya wednesday! -Gavin

Thank you for the kind words Gavin! I was on here years ago. I haven't much extra time to play online as much as I'd like to. Happy to be back

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kurt, I'd have to think on mine awhile. I've been looking for stuff since I was very little.

I know the feeling. Its like picking a favorite child

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I didn't have time to watch your video when it came out yesterday due to moving into our new fire station at work. Jumped on T-NET this morning because I had a few minutes and found your post.....guess I ruined the mystery of one item you dig in it. Welcome to T-NET, congrats on the find and can't wait to watch the video (and every Wednesday's video)!

No sweat. I never expecting anyone to watch our videos. I started YouTube to document our finds and what we were up to. Had no idea what i was getting myself into. Its been a fun couple years. All the support has been out of this world. Thank you for your support! All the best

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on that awesome piece of history Kurt. I love your Hoover Boys videos. They are the best on Youtube. You guys have such a passion for history and metal detecting that is second to none! Love your passion and I hope you and the Hoover Boys make some more great finds. I am always waiting for your next video every Wednesday.

You're too kind Jeff. Thank you. Best of luck to you

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would probably be my favorite too.
Really cool old find.

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find! Thanks for all your work in making/posting all the videos on your channel. Look forward to you guys' videos every Wednesday. I'm new to the hobby and have learned a lot from your videos....& Redneck Bob is absolutely hilarious!

-Kev

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! Thanks for all your work in making/posting all the videos on your channel. Look forward to you guys' videos every Wednesday. I'm new to the hobby and have learned a lot from your videos....& Redneck Bob is absolutely hilarious!

-Kev

Thank you for the support Kev! Love hearing positive feedback. Bob is one funny dude all the time. Such a character

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reproductions but good info

IMG_4475.PNG

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will live that memory many times over the rest of your life.... and in 50 years if you forget, you can watch the video! :) Just make sure you mark the video "My first best find" ...because there will be others.

I've always loved the fact that like all detecting finds the best are unpredictable, even more unpredictable really, because you could make some guesses of what the signal is but something great would not even be on the radar. The rush of seeing the find come out is very addictive and makes a person hungry to find that next best find.

PS: I started in 1999 and found what I consider my best relic and coin in 2002. (It was by far my best year) So it has been about 15 years I have been trying to beat them, and it's hard to use the word unsuccessfully, because I have dug a lot of other great stuff along the way.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! Great you tube videos.. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread