My first American largie at the Seminole War fort!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone! Got back out to my favorite Seminole War fort this afternoon. I couldn’t look but for a couple hours because it was 93 degrees here today.
I’ve been doing pretty good on the coins recently. Today I pulled up this 1827 large cent. Believe it or not, this is my first American large cent. All my others are British.
I also found some period pipe stems and some Native American pottery.
The other find is an iron buckle and this large buckle. Not sure if it’s old or more modern. If anyone has any ideas on cleaning this penny and any ideas on the age of this buckle I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you and happy hunting to all!
4D5C25D9-A4C4-4535-BA68-A7E3D80136CD.png
A41DC6A7-811D-473A-BB4C-6870C238AC77.png
E943E188-B8B0-4593-AE0E-6D6755AA8DE6.jpeg

Upvote 32

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful large cent, but I'm not surprised based on the condition of the buttons you find at this site
The buckle is a tough one. I'm thinking it could date from 1880 at the earliest and 1930 at the latest. Maybe someone can narrow the date range down

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Today I pulled up this 1827 large cent...
tn_coin_assortment.gif
Nice find Florida Finder!

...The other find is an iron buckle and this large buckle. Not sure if it’s old or more modern...
teacher.gif
I pulled these from other TN threads...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking LC-I think it's a leave alone type find, just take off the loose dirt.
Cool buckle, not sure on the age though.
Once again the site has treated you well.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great find - congrats !

Be careful - whenever you clean an old copper coin that has a heavy green Patina on it ...
all lot or all of the detail on the coin can be lost !

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Got back out to my favorite Seminole War fort this afternoon. I couldn’t look but for a couple hours because it was 93 degrees here today.
I’ve been doing pretty good on the coins recently. Today I pulled up this 1827 large cent. Believe it or not, this is my first American large cent. All my others are British.
The other find is an iron buckle and this large buckle. Not sure if it’s old or more modern. If anyone has any ideas on cleaning this penny and any ideas on the age of this buckle I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2025100 View attachment 2025101 View attachment 2025102
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! Great Shape!!!

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you and happy hunting to all! View attachment 2025100 View attachment 2025101 View attachment 2025102
Thanks VP for the buckle posts and thank you for the kind words

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great condition on the LC. Most all mine were found in agricultural fields and the soil there doesn’t treat copper so well. I agree with the others about just brushing off the loose dirt. Maybe toothpick it at most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread