Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is my first one. I found the remnants of a tiny privy in VA a few years ago, and got some few CW items out of it. The glass was already gone, but I got some minies, a belt keeper and other stuff.

Tommybuckets found a deeply buried iron kettle, which he didn't recover at one of my permissions last week. I had told him previously what a privy looks like, the dirt, that is and I went back the next day to dig 'er up. About 12" down I started running into broken clear glass medicine bottles, LOTS of them and then MORE broken ca 1880-1890 stoneware dishes. As these dishes can still be purchased whole inexpensively I didn't keep any but a few with the maker's name on the bottom to give to the landowners. The folks who own the land will get some nice bottles this week, as soon as everything is done being cleaned up.

I wound up digging 4 days, having to fill in the hole each day. An old cat can't dig all that much. I was digging through a lot of junk and then out pops two (I suppose) opium bottles. They are tiny, hence the give away that was what they were used for. Ca 1880.

IMG_2408 (1).JPG I was stoked! I rarely dig old bottles of any kind! Then, out comes this little guy! IMG_2409 (1).JPG

So after some more digging I see what I believe is an amber flask peeping out of the hole. IMG_2411.JPG And another pic. IMG_2414.JPG And finally out it comes in perfect condition! An amber strap sided flask with odd pontil mark, ca 1870's. IMG_2415 (1).JPG And here she is all cleaned up! IMG_2441.JPG

That ended the first day. The second day I dug back to where I had finished. By now I had a 5 gallon bucket of broken pottery and glass. Now far from the bottle I pulled some nice medicine bottles 1870's-1890's. IMG_2435.JPG IMG_2436.JPG

I had found a lot of broken pieces to fruit jars and finally got lucky! Mason's patent 1858! IMG_2447.JPG As I got deeper, I found three magnificent ink bottles! IMG_2440.JPG In the picture is a traveling ink, with sheared top, my first one ever! An "umbrella" ink with crude glasswork and a J&IEM turtle or igloo ink bottle. These were patented 1865. I'm not getting closer to the CW ear stuff. I had to quit for the day and put all kids of chairs and tools in the hole to keep anyone from falling in it.

The third day was a real bonanza! IMG_2444.JPG IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG

All three pieces are CW period or earlier. The smaller green bottle is a CW beer bottle. The larger one an Ellenville Glass Works whiskey (I think it had whiskey), and I have found bottoms to these bottles on CW camp sites. The jug is nearly identical to one I already had. It is probably 1820-1840 period. I found a couple CW period marbles in the hole, some leather, no coins. No buttons. Although 1' from the hole after the hard rain I found a dropped CS Gardner minie ball! I have some stuff in the truck uncleaned still including some brass items

I found a lot of shards also: IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG Redware with green manganese glaze on it, blue glazed stoneware jug pieces, 1870's yellowware pieces The redware is probably 1840's or so and the jug 1850's to 1860's. The blue feather edge is probably 1820's to 1850's. I find these on CW sites. There is also a piece of 1880's or so flo blue china there. I'm giving the decorative pieces to the owners.

Last bottle of the dig is one we got yesterday. 1890's medicine bottle from an upper layer we had left before. IMG_2434.JPG

Upvote 76

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool digs. I like bottles, but they sure take up a lot of room to display. All of them are cool but my favorites are the ink bottles, especially the turtle

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw where one guy dug an exact one like my igloo in a Confederate privy in the south. Patented 1865.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul. I've never dug a privy but it's cool to see what you guys found!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic bottle finds... and I'm a little jealous! Congratulations on some great finds. And, thanks for sharing with us again, Smokey!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We threw out over 15 gallons of broken glass. 99% was either white china, not worth the effort to restore, small aqua bottles or small clear glass bottles.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cleaned up real nice, Smokey. Wish we could have found another pit or deep cache of goodies but I can't complain at all after these last two visits. That site had given up just about everything except glass. Now you can check that off the list! Congrats.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, we haven't found a pot of gold! I still have that gut feeling we are missing something awesome! I don't know what however.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Instant bottle collection. I have one brass whatzit to clean up and found a CS gardner bullet right next to the hole. It was frozen to the top of the ground the next day.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all the beautiful treasures!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! I have only dug one trash pit. It was at a native American village site and was during the early summer down here in south Georgia. Three of us took turns digging and it liked to have got all of us. I applaud you for making it four days. One half day was all I could do.

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey if you dig any deeper your going to start finding Chinese bottles!!
Congrats awesome bottles.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was only about 3 feet deep as I remember. And about 6 feet across.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump for a friend.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I need to do it over. I hardly found any metal and zero coins. They might have sunk...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread