My first big-ish silver

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After work today I went back over to a coworkers house that was built in 1951. Not too long after I got there I got a really good signal but it pinpointed kind of large so I really wasn't expecting to see silver. Turned out to be a 62 Franklin Half. This is my first half dollar of any type.

Yes, I nicked it. Grrr. (Just above the L in Liberty.) I really need to be more careful. One of these days there might be a valuable coin in the hole. I thought I cut an ample plug but I guess not. :sadsmiley: I struggle sometimes pinpointing with the Deus.

I also found 3 wheats (not pictured.)

Thanks for looking. GL & HH

Upvote 18

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, Congrats!!

Still looking for my first big silver!! Looks to be I great shape too.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice half! I use a plastic garden trowel, it has never marred a coin yet.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
You're right Mike from ILL, they were only minted for 16 yrs........the Lincoln cent...107 yrs. The last Cubs' World Series win....106 yrs. (Yeah, I WAS from ILL but got wise 40+ yrs ago and moved to Minn.)

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with the nick it is still a very nice coin.:thumbsup:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklins are one of the tougher Halves to find, because of the short lived series. I have found 9 Walking Libs & 1 Silver Kennedy, & still don't have a Franklin. Nice job.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome silver find, you do not see many of these under the coil.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Franklins are one of the tougher Halves to find, because of the short lived series. I have found 9 Walking Libs & 1 Silver Kennedy, & still don't have a Franklin. Nice job.

You are absolutely right Trezurehunter. Franklins are much harder to find than Walkers. I've been detecting for 35 years and have only found 3 Franklins. I've found loads of Walkers and at least 3 last year. Actually I've found 2 Barber halves which are scarce and when you think they stopped making them about a hundred years ago it shows how rare the Frankins are coming out of the ground when you consider I only found 3 of those. Great find Bladerunner.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! I was certainly surprised to see it. As soon as I saw the edge I figured I had something good.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you can boldly call that a BIG silver ! How many of you guys and gals have dug up a silver Kennedy half ? I'm going to bet
they are at least as uncommon as Franklin halves . I'm well aware that they were issued in 90% for only one year , but there were
well over 400 MILLION of them minted that year ! I've never dug up a Franklin , I have dug up a 1968 40% silver Kennedy Half .

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I struggle sometimes pinpointing with the Deus. [/QUOTE said:
See if this helps. Next time you're pinpointing a target hit the pinpoint button as normal. Then hit it again while still over the target. This will reduce the size of the pinpointed target and be more accurate. If that didn't make sense send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number and I'll explain it over the phone.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big silver! I have found 4 Barber halves, but for the life of me I can't seem to find a walker or a Ben. This year I WILL find one lol. Congrats on a super find!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See if this helps. Next time you're pinpointing a target hit the pinpoint button as normal. Then hit it again while still over the target. This will reduce the size of the pinpointed target and be more accurate. If that didn't make sense send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number and I'll explain it over the phone.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

Did you end up going to the bootcamp this weekend?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread