My first Bison antiquus skull! old lock and a few scrapers!

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 20200503_193530.jpg
    20200503_193530.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 141
  • 20200503_121435.jpg
    20200503_121435.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 146
  • 20200503_190255.jpg
    20200503_190255.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 144
Upvote 19

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice skull I’m always on the look out for a set of bison horns so far I’ve got 1 set… still hoping for a mammoth tusk or tooth no luck so far

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice skull I’m always on the look out for a set of bison horns so far I’ve got 1 set… still hoping for a mammoth tusk or tooth no luck so far
Oh me too man! Hope we find 1. I got a buddy that sent me some hair from a woolly mammoth from the Frozen tundras in Russia. It's pretty awesome

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bison antiquus skull believed to be extinct around 13,000 years ago. An old lock and a few hyde scrapers and a hafted Hyde scrapers. I found these in 202
That was a great find. That would sure make my day.

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was a great find. That would sure make my day.
Thanks so much! It def did! I almost lost it in the creek. The water was flowing hard and I strapped it to my kayak. Tried to go around a tree and sucked my kayak under. I held on to it for dear life! About 30 degree water, found it and saved it! Almost lost it tho!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much! It def did! I almost lost it in the creek. The water was flowing hard and I strapped it to my kayak. Tried to go around a tree and sucked my kayak under. I held on to it for dear life! About 30 degree water, found it and saved it! Almost lost it tho!
Wow! I hope you recorded all the details of that adventure in writing to pass along.

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! I hope you recorded all the details of that adventure in writing to pass along.
Just this and worrying my wife and telling her is all. I go hunt by myself a lot.... Probably not the smartest....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was out in Montana hunting a friend out there showed me a cliff they called Buffalo Jump !! he said thousands of buffalo lost there lives over that cliff. (not all at the same time) People would scare the herd over the cliff, Would this be a place to find such heads ?

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when i was out in Montana hunting a friend out there showed me a cliff they called Buffalo Jump !! he said thousands of buffalo lost there lives over that cliff. (not all at the same time) People would scare the herd over the cliff, Would this be a place to find such heads ?
I would suspect so, I've heard of them all over but never seen one in person.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jlill i have been gone camping with my horses and don't think i welcomed you . Welcome to Treasurenet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jlill i have been gone camping with my horses and don't think i welcomed you . Welcome to Treasurenet
Thanks so much! The names Josh and glad to meet ya and be here!

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a nice find!

The horn cores look pretty strait, which is right for Bison antiquus. How wide is the skull from tip to tip?
Pretty sure 32 but I haven't measured it in a while

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the picture it looks like Bison Bison, but that can be misleading. Finding a Bison Antiguus skull is rare due the chemical breakdown in our Texas dirt. I think Charlie Lutton found one in the anaerobic mud of a Texas Stream bed a few yours ago. Either way it is quite the nice find. Congrats !!

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the picture it looks like Bison Bison, but that can be misleading. Finding a Bison Antiguus skull is rare due the chemical breakdown in our Texas dirt. I think Charlie Lutton found one in the anaerobic mud of a Texas Stream bed a few yours ago. Either way it is quite the nice find. Congrats !!
Understand, I've had it looked at by several people that I really expect there opinions over the years. My uncle Rusty is one of the best in the biz in my opinion of tx artifacts. I believe it to be antiquus. Charlie also agreed. Thank u for looking and was quite an exciting day!

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Bison antiquus skull believed to be extinct around 13,000 years ago. An old lock and a few hyde scrapers and a hafted Hyde scrapers. I found these in 2021
Nice finds.

Without a reference it is hard to tell how large your bison skull is.
What is the distance straight across from one horn core tip to the tip of the opposite horn core?

OP
OP
Jlill

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds.

Without a reference it is hard to tell how large your bison skull is.
What is the distance straight across from one horn core tip to the tip of the opposite horn core?
Thanks man, there is a few small items in the first picture so you can kind of tell the size but it is about 32 in across I believe

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that was a little later model, but I can't really tell the size. Cool find. In Oklahoma, I've found a few buffalo skulls. And a mammoth tusk and tooth. As many buffalo as there were, you'd think the bones would be about a foot thick all over the land, but early settlers collected them and sold them for fertilizer, and pretty much cleared them out. (Yeah, I know, buffalo-bison.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread