Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I occasionally stick my hand in the reject tray of various Coinstar type machines when I see them. Iā€™ve never found anything.

Until tonight. And I know that itā€™s nothing too special, but in all my metal detecting Iā€™ve never found a 1943 steel penny, so this one is memorable as the first Iā€™ve ever found ā€œin the wildā€.

Thanks for looking!
- Brian
1190B9A6-1D42-492E-9223-A665FB7BBA38.jpeg

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I occasionally stick my hand in the reject tray of various Coinstar type machines when I see them. Iā€™ve never found anything.

Until tonight. And I know that itā€™s nothing too special, but in all my metal detecting Iā€™ve never found a 1943 steel penny, so this one is memorable as the first Iā€™ve ever found ā€œin the wildā€.

Thanks for looking!
- Brian
View attachment 2047710
Nice find. Keep on checking.

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
I wonder what number that would ring up on a detector? Maybe not at all?

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder what number that would ring up on a detector? Maybe not at all?
On the Equinox it rings up -4/-5 (negative, like iron). Thatā€™s why I donā€™t expect to ever dig one while detecting.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have dug, I'm almost sure, three. The way to dig one is in a coin spill of wheaties and two of them will be stuck together and there will be whats left of one inbetween.
I've done that twice. The first was at a very old college campus and it was a bunch...like 15 wheat pennies. It was obviuse based upon the dates of the other coins and after I thought about it.
I should post a pic of that one as it is now in crumbles kept in a upside down bottle cap. Initially is was one piece and then it broke into two and it keeps on deteriorating. I found that one in 1985.
I dug one in a drained lake that was down in the mud that has got to be a steel penny but only the size is obvious as both sides rusty and can't see any details.
Grats on the coin star steel penny.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

Thanks for looking!
- Brian
View attachment 2047710
Congrats šŸ„³

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for looking!
- Brian
View attachment 2047710
Congrats ! You donā€™t come across these very often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread