My first finds

Mar 18, 2022
I’m new to metal detecting, finally got out this week. Instead of finding metal I found my first artifacts just picking up what I thought was a pretty rock sticking out of the ground. One of them is a drill that was reworked from a broken arrowhead the detecting group told me. However none of them or in the artifact group have seen one like it or had one. I also can’t find an image that closely resembles mine which is what I’d like to see. Or if someone can tell me if it might be a rare find. I’m also unsure of what the rock is with the hole, the inside is sort of hollowed out. I picked it up thinking it was a fossil but I really have no idea.

Attachments

• 009C3637-783C-46B3-AD57-67D4DE74F841.jpeg
    009C3637-783C-46B3-AD57-67D4DE74F841.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
  • 6FA61F3C-6765-45A5-82D5-DD986300B9E6.jpeg
    6FA61F3C-6765-45A5-82D5-DD986300B9E6.jpeg
    841.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 44D51993-2644-4394-AACB-ECF21401C5DF.jpeg
    44D51993-2644-4394-AACB-ECF21401C5DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • F3C46253-E04B-4177-8EB8-83C18EACA39B.jpeg
    F3C46253-E04B-4177-8EB8-83C18EACA39B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91
Upvote 11
OP
OP
Finding_fletcher
Mar 18, 2022
Welcome, that drill is pretty unique. The stone with the hole is natural. The rest definitely are broken points. Seems like you found a good area for artifacts. What state?
Thank you!! The pink chert is not broke anywhere from what I can tell, maybe unfinished? When you hold it kind of feels like it may be something to scrape with, it’s curved on one end. Heck I don’t know lol. I’m in southwest Missouri. Not that I would sell anything as I feel privileged to find them but are unique finds of value? Does anyone ever find broken things still worth money? How could I store them, specifically the one to protect it? Sorry I have so many questions lol!

OP
OP
Finding_fletcher
Mar 18, 2022
Keep them from getting knocked around so they don't chip. Send us more when you find them.
Thanks for your help! I will if I find anything more. I did realize that rock is part of the Meteorite Round Rock Fallback Breccia Weaubleau/Osceola Impact. I’m in Osceola. I have never found a little one only big ones. Kinda cool!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll try to help with the others. I think the one above the reworked point/drill is a Snyder’s or one of its cousins… the other one my first impression is a rice lobed or shallow notched but that’s more of a place to start than an Id. Your pink one I would guess is heat treated Burlington chert. Maaaaaybe a harahey, look to see if the edges are beveled.

OP
OP
Finding_fletcher
Mar 18, 2022
I’ll try to help with the others. I think the one above the reworked point/drill is a Snyder’s or one of its cousins… the other one my first impression is a rice lobed or shallow notched but that’s more of a place to start than an Id. Your pink one I would guess is heat treated Burlington chert. Maaaaaybe a harahey, look to see if the edges are beveled.
I’ll take some more picture later today to show you what I’m looking at from different angles. I for sure did not know that they heat treated like that, it’s so smooth and the details are hardly noticing, made perfect sense to me after you said that. Last night I was looking at them all closely and realize the top thing I thought was just a rando piece of flat rock is actually something too. You sent me on a never ending rabbit hole last night that resulted in going to bed at 2am 🤣🤣. Who would of ever thought that tiny details could point to such specific era of time. Made me extremely confused. I really appreciate the education! Blows my mind!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the Snyder's idea. I'll include a link for it and Harahey's. Google, projectile.points.net and cut/copy & paste are our friends.

Edit: The rice lobbed piece may be made of Jeff City Chert.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finding_fletcher
Mar 18, 2022
Welcome, that drill is pretty unique. The stone with the hole is natural. The rest definitely are broken points. Seems like you found a good area for artifacts. What state?
I found at least one thing today. I’ll make a new post lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread