My First "Flying Eagle Coin" , Confederate SC button, and a ??

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I was just driving home from getting a root canal and noticed what looked to be old brick in a pile of dirt in an area they just cleared. Well I still had the numb from the procedure and stopped to take a look. I was not prepared for it being that hot but I was just to curious. Well I could see old pottery, brick and a few broken bottles, I also notice a work truck parked further back in the lot. I decided to go ask about the dirt and they stated it was fill dirt for the low lying areas. They also said I could look through the material as it was going to be covered over anyway. I had my XP deus with me and asked if I could detect it and they said if they could watch. Well we all met back at the dirt and I was finding some neat finds, the first nice piece I found was a coin or token but it was mostly encrusted, then I pulled out a really nice confederate SC button, For the next couple hours I was so distracted by all the broken pottery and some whole brick I just had to pick it all up and put in my car. I offered the guys some drinks from my cooler and hit it one more time. I found what I thought was an Indian head penny. The pain from the procedure started to catch up with me so I had to head home and get some Tylenol in my system. After I got home and took some pills I put the finds under magnification I was surprised to see that it was not an Indian Head penny but I could see that it was either a 1857 or 1858 and after a quick google search it was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a Flying Eagle penny, my first one of those ever. I sure it is a long shot on the one piece that is encrusted but it is the same size of 5 cents. What started as a lousy dental appointment turned out to be a great day. I do want to thank the guys from the parks department for letting me find some treasure. They did say they periodically get dirt in but it is mainly more sandy in nature.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4443.JPG
    IMG_4443.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 21

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Finds - Congrats!!:hello2::headbang::occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice way of making a unpleasant day into an ok day.
Well done 👏

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just driving home from getting a root canal and noticed what looked to be old brick in a pile of dirt in an area they just cleared. Well I still had the numb from the procedure and stopped to take a look. I was not prepared for it being that hot but I was just to curious. Well I could see old pottery, brick and a few broken bottles, I also notice a work truck parked further back in the lot. I decided to go ask about the dirt and they stated it was fill dirt for the low lying areas. They also said I could look through the material as it was going to be covered over anyway. I had my XP deus with me and asked if I could detect it and they said if they could watch. Well we all met back at the dirt and I was finding some neat finds, the first nice piece I found was a coin or token but it was mostly encrusted, then I pulled out a really nice confederate SC button, For the next couple hours I was so distracted by all the broken pottery and some whole brick I just had to pick it all up and put in my car. I offered the guys some drinks from my cooler and hit it one more time. I found what I thought was an Indian head penny. The pain from the procedure started to catch up with me so I had to head home and get some Tylenol in my system. After I got home and took some pills I put the finds under magnification I was surprised to see that it was not an Indian Head penny but I could see that it was either a 1857 or 1858 and after a quick google search it was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a Flying Eagle penny, my first one of those ever. I sure it is a long shot on the one piece that is encrusted but it is the same size of 5 cents. What started as a lousy dental appointment turned out to be a great day. I do want to thank the guys from the parks department for letting me find some treasure. They did say they periodically get dirt in but it is mainly more sandy in nature.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!! Flying Eagles are Bucket Listers!!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful finds. Congratulations

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
big time gratz on the flying eagle, still looking for my first.

miserman

Oct 25, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD F-pulse and Tek-Point pinpointers Sunray Pro gold headphones
Great finds. I would try to find out where the fill dirt came from.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure get some points for detecting right after a root canal. I probably would have crawled into bed and pulled the covers over my head. Nice finds all around . Love the CW button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread