My First Gold Coin - and Best Find to Date

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best finds to date. I have just had this certified. Found this earlier this month buried in sand on a beach about 15” deep. Waited until I knew it was real to post. How it got there or why it was there is a mystery. I was told this is called "Pirate Gold". These type coins were stolen from the Spanish by pirates in the Caribbean. I plan to go back to the area and do a more extensive search.

The facts of this gold coin are:

Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1702 UNC Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Lisbon mint. This type was minted in Lisbon 1683-1706 and was the largest gold coin prior to the introduction of the peça (6400 réis), at which time the moidore was reduced to 8.06 g. The reduced size moidore was struck only in Brazil. For 1702, medal and coin rotations are known. Specification: 10.78 g, .917 fine gold.

Attachments

• IMG_E1724.JPG
    IMG_E1724.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_E1725.JPG
    IMG_E1725.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats 👏 on the gold coin.
What do mean by certified, you sent it in for grading?
I wanted to be sure it was real, so I took it to a very well know coin shop here in Atlanta and they verified it was gold and was real. Then, I took it to a second gold dealer who specializes in old coins and they also verified it was real. Just wanted to be sure.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to be sure it was real, so I took it to a very well know coin shop here in Atlanta and they verified it was gold and was real. Then, I took it to a second gold dealer who specializes in old coins and they also verified it was real. Just wanted to be sure.
Great, thanks for the reply.
Best of luck on the return hunts, hope there's more than a single drop.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best finds to date. I have just had this certified. Found this earlier this month buried in sand on a beach about 15” deep, but was just certified today, so I am calling this a "Today's Find". Did Not want to post until I knew it was real. How it got there or why it was there is a mystery. I was told this is called "Pirate Gold". These type coins were stolen from the Spanish by pirates in the Caribbean. I plan to go back to the area and do a more extensive search.

Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1702 UNC Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Lisbon mint. This type was minted in Lisbon 1683-1706 and was the largest gold coin prior to the introduction of the peça (6400 réis), at which time the moidore was reduced to 8.06 g. The reduced size moidore was struck only in Brazil. For 1702, medal and coin rotations are known. Specification: 10.78 g, .917 fine gold.
Outstanding!!!! Congrats!!!!! The things We dirt diggers dream of!!!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, Peyton wants the story.
I am not going to say to where - just yet - other than it was beach in the south USA. I was using my Equinox 800, Beach 1, Noise cancel on "0". Ground Balance on automatic, but it was on"0" as well. It was not a busy beach, but still had some foot traffic walking through the area. I had been out for about two hours and it almost dark. I was walking along the waters edge going in between the dry and wet sand. I had been digging up a few coins, and had found a nice silver ring (see image), but I thought this was just another quarter. I was shocked at how deep it was and I got a strong signal. As I said, it was almost dark, so when I dug it up I just put it in pocket - but I know the location where I found it. However, I remember it being a different color than a quarter and thought it might be a dollar coin. It wasn't until I got back to my room, and started looking at my finds, that I discover it. At first, I thought it must be fake, but after lightly brushing the sand off and then doing some quick research, I was pretty sure I had found something very unique. There have been a number of storms in this area this year, so I am wondering if it just got washed in. It was a good day. Planning to go back very soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1700 R.jpg
    IMG_1700 R.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been asked to post more information:
I am not going to say to where - just yet - other than it was beach in the south USA. I was using my Equinox 800, Beach 1, Noise cancel on "0". Ground Balance on automatic, but it was on"0" as well. It was not a busy beach, but still had some foot traffic walking through the area. I had been out for about two hours and it almost dark. I was walking along the waters edge going in between the dry and wet sand. I had been digging up a few coins, and had found a nice silver ring (see image), but I thought this was just another quarter. I was shocked at how deep it was and I got a strong signal. As I said, it was almost dark, so when I dug it up I just put it in pocket - but I know the location where I found it. However, I remember it being a different color than a quarter and thought it might be a dollar coin. It wasn't until I got back to my room, and started looking at my finds, that I discover it. At first, I thought it must be fake, but after lightly brushing the sand off and then doing some quick research, I was pretty sure I had found something very unique. There have been a number of storms in this area this year, so I am wondering if it just got washed in. It was a good day. Planning to go back very soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1700 R.jpg
    IMG_1700 R.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 96

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome coin...I just recently got a gold reis coin from an isolated out island beach in the bahamas.....they are quite rare and have quite a good value. Congratulations on a rare and beautiful gold coin !! Im voting banner !!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best finds to date. I have just had this certified. Found this earlier this month buried in sand on a beach about 15” deep, but was just certified today, so I am calling this a "Today's Find". Did Not want to post until I knew it was real. How it got there or why it was there is a mystery. I was told this is called "Pirate Gold". These type coins were stolen from the Spanish by pirates in the Caribbean. I plan to go back to the area and do a more extensive search.

Congratulations on your beautiful recovery.try to get back today

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread