My First Gold Coin - and Best Find to Date

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best finds to date. I have just had this certified. Found this earlier this month buried in sand on a beach about 15” deep. Waited until I knew it was real to post. How it got there or why it was there is a mystery. I was told this is called "Pirate Gold". These type coins were stolen from the Spanish by pirates in the Caribbean. I plan to go back to the area and do a more extensive search.

The facts of this gold coin are:

Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1702 UNC Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Lisbon mint. This type was minted in Lisbon 1683-1706 and was the largest gold coin prior to the introduction of the peça (6400 réis), at which time the moidore was reduced to 8.06 g. The reduced size moidore was struck only in Brazil. For 1702, medal and coin rotations are known. Specification: 10.78 g, .917 fine gold.

Attachments

• IMG_E1724.JPG
    IMG_E1724.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_E1725.JPG
    IMG_E1725.JPG
    583.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Moidore is how they were referred to in the English speaking world, especially in Canada where they were in use and had specific exchange rates (like so many coins those days). Portuguese coins were quite prevalent, around the world, as were Spanish. So they don't need to have any reference to "pirates" at all... these coins were circulated in America as well. Australia has two Portuguese coins as MUST HAVES for what they call "Proclamation" coins. Portugal also has a confusing list of denominations, there is the more "decimal" set and there is the more "reale" set. The idea being one used at home and the other circulating in its colonies. Not too sure how that worked out in practice. In the 17 and 1800s coins were most often traded based on weight and purity as no two countries minted with the same specifications... exchange rates changed from colony to colony.

noluckyet

Greenie
Jun 1, 2017
Scotland
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On a different note there is a British comedy show it has 3 seasons and it is a BBC 4 production and it is called , The Detectorists, It is a light-hearted comedy about a group of metal detector enthusiasts and I can be sure some of the people on here can relate to, your wife will certainly see the funny side of it. So check it out.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Detectorist was a great show. Loved it.

FloridaSon - Yes, I was using the coil that came with my 800. It has always seem to work well for me. I tend to be very busy and about the only time I ever get to search is when I am at the beach. Luckily, I do consulting work with the Air Force, so I can stay in my condo and travel between bases as necessary. Then I play in the evenings and on weekends. So the original coil has seen to always work well and I see no reason to change at this point fine for me.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is right at 8 grams of gold. The appraiser said if I wanted to just sell it would be worth about $1500. If I put it in a auction, it would probably go for more.

At this point, I have no intentions on selling or partying with it !!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best finds to date. I have just had this certified. Found this earlier this month buried in sand on a beach about 15” deep. Waited until I knew it was real to post. How it got there or why it was there is a mystery. I was told this is called "Pirate Gold". These type coins were stolen from the Spanish by pirates in the Caribbean. I plan to go back to the area and do a more extensive search.

The facts of this gold coin are:

Pedro II gold 4000 Reis 1702 UNC Details (Surface Hairlines) NGC, Lisbon mint. This type was minted in Lisbon 1683-1706 and was the largest gold coin prior to the introduction of the peça (6400 réis), at which time the moidore was reduced to 8.06 g. The reduced size moidore was struck only in Brazil. For 1702, medal and coin rotations are known. Specification: 10.78 g, .917 fine gold.
That is phenomenal. I think I would have to just go home after that one. Real deal treasure right there.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot belive this hasn't made it up top....just a great coin, and an even greater save from the sand !! Let's get this one to the top people !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cannot belive this hasn't made it up top....just a great coin, and an even greater save from the sand !! Let's get this one to the top people !!
It makes one wonder doesn't it.
Great coin and back story-yet it doesn't make it up.

noluckyet

Greenie
Jun 1, 2017
Scotland
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is right at 8 grams of gold. The appraiser said if I wanted to just sell it would be worth about $1500. If I put it in a auction, it would probably go for more.

At this point, I have no intentions on selling or partying with it !!!
I would get some sort clasp and chain made for it and walk around like mister 'T'. I wonder how a single coin got there? Like if it had been washed up in the tide over the Years would it not be more aroded with the sand? So could it have been dropped by a survivor of a weaking? Have you thought about looking out to sea and seeing if there is any signs of intrest a little further out, that could be traping somemore coins. I think your find is fasinating and makes you want to explore more.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get some sort clasp and chain made for it and walk around like mister 'T'. I wonder how a single coin got there? Like if it had been washed up in the tide over the Years would it not be more aroded with the sand? So could it have been dropped by a survivor of a weaking? Have you thought about looking out to sea and seeing if there is any signs of intrest a little further out, that could be traping somemore coins. I think your find is fasinating and makes you want to explore more.
No, I have not checked, but this is a very good idea.
Plus, we were amazed it did not have more build up, still had so much detail. You can see areas where it has eroded, but is in remarkably good condition. I am guessing it has been buried and just was not tossed around, and maybe only recently broken loose and washed ashore. There have been a series of big storms in the area the past few years.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes one wonder doesn't it.
Great coin and back story-yet it doesn't make it up.

No, I have not checked, but this is a very good idea.
Plus, we were amazed it did not have more build up, still had so much detail. You can see areas where it has eroded, but is in remarkably good condition. I am guessing it has been buried and just was not tossed around, and maybe only recently broken loose and washed ashore. There have been a series of big storms in the area the past few years.
im no expert but I question if its even possible for a gold coin to be "washed" ashore.
i doubted that silver would also, but considering the amount of buildup on silver it would have lowered the effective density of the object, thus making it more susceptible to aquadynamic forces. Gold, on the other hand, maintains its low profile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread