My FIRST High School Ring and other stuff :)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
We have not been out detecting in nearly 3 weeks, except for last week in our front and back yard, where I found 7 more wheaties and 3 more Rosie's!!!! That made me happy.

Well, today, around 4 pm, we pack up the kids and our detectors and head to the beach....no sooner than I step on the sand, I turn on my detector, walk a few feet and DANG DANG DANG (nickel sound LOL)....and pull out a female's high school ring!!! OMG....I was so excited, I wanted to jump up and down, but there were still some folks on the beach....so I had to be cool!! Could not read anything but 10K. When I got home, I pull out my artifical eyes (magnifer) and find it has initials....the school is local and the young lady does not graduate until 2007. Must have been lost in the last few days I reckon...it was barely an inch or two down. So, I will call the school tomorrow (yeah, summer school in session, someone's there). I can't wait to return her ring. These rings are NOT CHEAP...my dau's was over 300 bucks and that was in 2003!!!! I was happy it had initials :)

Hubby and I found some CLAD...nothing exciting there. I found 2 matchbox cars, hubby found 1 (hehehe). He found a cross that says AVANTI STER. on the back, the other piece has a dragon on the front, prob from a necklace or even a bag or jacket zipper pulley thingy...

I happened upon a childs necklace. Has two charms on it. Has writting on the back, but very hard to read...something like ROO and then something under it...I'll try when I'm not so tired to decifer it. Looks like a grad cap charm with a butterfly charm on the necklace. Then I found a very LARGE hoop earring and one with lots of pretty blue stones on it...costume jewelry. Then I found this object that I had no idea what it was...dug again and found a long sharp thingy. It had threads on the end...so I put it through the hole of the first object I found and they fit...but it appearred a piece was missing....checked the hole again and lo and behold...I found it!!! Turns out to be a letter opener from TOLEDO (Ohio??) LOL...but what's a letter opener doing at the beach??? Oh, then I found the letter "A", prob from a necklace...funny too....that's my first name initial..is that an omen??? LOL

So, for not really being out in this horrible heat, that come Winter, we wish we had it back....it felt good to get out and detect!! Can't wait for my next adventure!!! HH all....Ann

PS: Oh, I found a watch about 4 inches down...don't think it works and a set of keys......

Attachments

• Img_0181a.jpg
    Img_0181a.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,469
  • jewelry 1a.jpg
    jewelry 1a.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,444
  • Img_0159a.jpg
    Img_0159a.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • Img_0180b.jpg
    Img_0180b.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,379
  • letter opener 1a.jpg
    letter opener 1a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,445
  • highschool 2007 1a.jpg
    highschool 2007 1a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,489

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Wow nice class ring hope you find the owner. Love that letter opener not often you find all parts to something lost in the sand. Great finds and good luck on future hunts. Ted

R

realmhunter

Nice finds..I thought it was a sword at first... ;D happy hunting RH

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
You folks did good. Big bunch of finds.

Congrat on the high school ring. You folks
will make someone happy.

Giving it back, way to go.
It will come back to you in the long run.

Again, nice bunch of finds.

have a good un.............

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day you two had!! GREAT finds!!

Good luck on the return! I'm sure you will make someone VERY happy!

Nana :)

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
UPDATE: My FIRST High School Ring and other stuff :)

UPDATE ON RING: Called Kempsville High about 10 minutes ago and within a few minutes they called me back with a HIT!! They found the young lady with those initials (only one in the school with those initials) and she is a rising Senior!!! The school is calling her to have her call me. I told the Lady not to tell her it's the ring...just to say I found something that appears to belong to her. If she does not realize her ring is gone, she may not guess what it is...but if she does, then she may guess it. I am so excited!!! But not as excited as this young lady will be when she gets her ring back.....will post when the ring has been returned and hopefully I'll be able to get a pic of the happy Graduate!!! HH............Ann

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds and great karma returning the ring!! HH, Mike

M

mchamby

WTG, she will be happy and so won't her parents be that someone found and returned it. Sounds like you need to go to the beach more often. HH
Mchamby

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a real mensch! The only thing I've found that was worth returning was the cigarette lighter with Ft Lewis, Wash and platoon or unit info engraved on it, but hit nothing but dead ends. It's very pocket worn and probably meant a lot to somebody. Isn't it something how much high school rings sell for? Go take one to a scrap dealer and see what you get offered for it. I got three things to say to moms and dads buying their kids high school rings: Walmart / Valadium/ $100.00 That's a plenty to lose on the beach... I graduated in '78 and lost the ring on the first beach trip after. $140 (back then) up the proverbial wild hogs fanny.

Nice finds and great return,
Ramapirate

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG with the finds. Finding that letter opener, makes you wonder about some of the "out of territory" objects found...why would someone have a letter opener on the beach...maybe a child was playing pirate and was using it for a sword, so many questions and no answers. Anyway, neat find.

Love that graduation ring and I'm glad you are able to return it to the owner.

HH ;)
RR

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks all...for your replies.

Called the school back to see if they were able to contact the young lady and she said she talked to her right after she called me back....she's surprised the young lady hasn't called yet....hmmmm? I will give it till this evening. Maybe the girl thinks I am working....LOL (I'm retired:)).....or maybe till her parents get home to call me...which is fine....in today's time....you can't be too careful, especially our kids!! I'm sitting here with anticipation!!!! I took more pics of the ring...trying to get a really good shot to really show what it looks like...it really is a very petite, very pretty ring. Come hell or high water, I will return it to this young lady, even if I have to go to the 2007 Kempsville High School graduation!!!!!!!!!! LOL...if I don't hear anything by morning, I will call the school back and ask if they could return a call to her and tell her it's her high school ring...maybe that will get her to call :), the school, at my request, told her it is something that belongs to her that I found on the beach.

I never thought of that, about TOLDEO...and my son even said it looked like a sword....wow....makes this letter opener much more interesting now LOL :). Yeah, prob some kid thinking it was a toy....I have to admit, I did look at it to see if any "substances" was on it....(ok, I was thinking it was used as a weapon to cause harm to another...sorry, that was my first thought finding it at the beach)....It was about 4 inches down....so really hard to say how long it's been there. At the beach, sometimes really hard to say how long something has been in the sand, with ppl always digging holes and kids playing...things move and they just don't see all the treasures!!! LOL

Well, as for returning the ring...back in 1985, I broke down on the interstate with my young infant daughter. A kindly ol' man and his wife stopped and gave us a ride so I could call for assistances. I went to pay the couple and the lady took my hand in hers and said to me, "Sweetheart, the best way to repay me is by showing a kindness to another." And to this day, I have never ever forgotton that. Whether I am in a checkout line and someone is a few cents short or returning something to someone, or giving someone something (like bottled water at the beach), etc....it does all come back to you. And how true, as one Christmas Eve, I was picking up last minute items for my kids and I did not have enough, after shopping other places, for two boxes of crayons. So, I got one box of 64 and put the other box back. I was getting it giftwrapped and as I was leaving the store, one of the cashiers handed me two packages. I told her I had one and she told me the man that was behind me at the counter bought the other box for me and said to tell you MERRY CHRISTMAS!! I could not find him, as the cashier was told not to give it to me until he was gone. So, I am a true believer of WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES BACK TO YOU!!!! So, giving a kindness to one, will come back to you threefold...KINDNESS...pass it on!!

HH...........Ann

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Sounds like a great trip. Wish we had some sand around here to detect. I'm in N. Cal. and, right now, the soil is like adobe brick. At the moment it's not called metal detecting here, it's hardrock mining. :))

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, received a phone call from this young lady.....she did not even know she lost it. She told her parents this morning as her Dad wanted to know who called from the school. Her Dad said, "You lost your high school ring?"...she said she did not know she lost it. They will be coming over to get it....so thrilled!!!!

PackerBacker....I hope you and yours are dealing well with this heat that California has been afflicted with. Some in-laws of mine and friends live all around the California region, from San Diego to San Fran and beyond. I hear how they dealing with it. Some friends in the LA region have been without power, off and on. I will say, we seem to be having a pretty mild summer compared to most. Usually this time of year, 90's and hotter than 7734. The humidity is horrible. Granted it's 91 out now, but not that real swelting heat where you can't breathe. Some may not agree with me, but I think this summer is mild compared to most summers and my electric bill is proof!!! I wish for you and all, some rain soon to cool things down and soften the ground. I don't think I care too much for "Hardrock Mining" LOL...I prefer more "Mud Pie" effect to "Soft Modeling Clay" LOL. And that "fine sand" at the beach is just as much a pain....ugh!! LOL...but admit, it does not leave blisters on your hand when digging in it!!! :)

Awww Shucks (head down, hands behind back, kicking up dust, blushing)....thanks MightyAP....:)

IrishCharlieM: I would think that the sand they pump onto the beach would be pretty clean, wouldn't it? I thought it was best before any sand was pumped onto the beach? Any tips would be great....maybe we will see you around the strip!!!! Thanks also for your reply :)

UPDATE: OWNER OF RING HAS ARRIVED AND RECEIVED HER RING....Pic attached to show her happiness. She said they even went back to the beach to look for it. She said they were there playing Volleyball. When she couldn't find it, she thought it was somewhere in her room and just forgot about it. I told her what helped getting her ring back where her initials within the ring and the fact, she was still in school :) I also let her know, if anyone loses anything and can not locate it....keep our number and give us a call...we would be more than happy to look for them and if she knew of any places that we could detect, call us too!!!!

Well, what a happy ending to a perfect, hot, muggy day :) I really have such a nice warm feeling within me....it really feels good!!!!

Attachments

• Img_0101a.jpg
    Img_0101a.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,128

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread