My first hunt....

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got a metal detector- garrett ace 250- and i just went around my yard (we live in the country) and we have alot of field. I didnt venture too far out in the field but needless to say it was very unsuccessful. All i found was a penny (year 2000) and ended up digging two holes and found old sprinkler pipes. Maybe i need to learn to read my machine better. If anyone has some suggestions please let me know. Or any tips or tricks about the detector that I got. thanks!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it just takes time and patience to get used to any detector. Even more so when you're just starting out. You might try just running in "all metal" mode for a while, with your sensitivity at about half, and just dig every signal. That will give you some idea what different things read as on the screen and the signal sounds. Good luck and happy hunting!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your 1st hunt! :thumbsup: You're a penny richer than you were before you started. ;D My suggestion tip would be to use a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, 14k ring, etc. etc. and put them one by one in a 'clean' spot, and go over each one with your machine to learn what it reads for each item. Breezie

OP
OP
kblackphoto

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the advice guys. ill try your suggestions out. i will say one thing- MY ARM IS KILLING ME!!! haha i am going to get so toned!!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you'll need to listen to your machine and then see what is shows on the display... once you learn what things should sound like you'll rarely look at the screen... the first thing to listen for is consistency... as you pass back and forth over a target the sound is the same both in sound and target ID. Every time you go out with your 250 you'll lean more and more... do not give up keep at it and after a few weeks all of a sudden you find that you know how to use it.

Chukers

deanv63

Dec 14, 2009
Quincy Illinois
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
I have had mine for two years, and I,m still learning, I have the dfx, They say dig all, but I get tired, after digging so much junk, and stuff, but I have found more, then enough to pay my detector off,two times now. My hardest thing Is finding places to go and hunt. Hang In there,you will get it, and some great finds too!

OP
OP
kblackphoto

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the advice chuckers. I will definitly not give up! deanv63- i agree on finding where to hunt. im just confused about who to ask for permission on areas. there is a graveyard near my house (im not planning digging the graveyard!!) that dates back to 18 something. so i know i live in an old area. im very new and i know ill get the hang of things and ill let you know the day i find something inspiring!

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
When I first got my detector, I hunted the woods besides my home for 3 days and found nothing but trash. Well the 4th time I went out there, I found a Civil War bullet. Well me and a buddy hunted this same spot for 3 years straight and we ended up finding over 300 bullets and 20 buttons, couple of fuses and a US box plate. The stuff might be there it just takes time to find it.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, welcome to the hobby and the forum. That 250 is a good machine, and you will find plenty with it.
Being pretty obsessed with the hobby, I've have learned quite about the hobby and the 250 from reading this and other forums. But the main thing is, you need to get out there and "Swing that Thing" Expect to put in about 100 hours before you get real comfortable with the machine.
Treasure does not fall from the sky!!! You need to hunt where people have gathered and the older the spot the better.
Run the machine in Coin or Jewelery mode with the sensitivity at 3 or 4 bars.
Make sure the coil wire is good and secure to the shaft close to the coil. Use velcro strips or zip ties.(prevents a lot of false signals)
If you suspect the signal is trash swing the coil about six inches off the surface. If you still get a signal, it is something big.(Probably trash)
Dig only strong repetitive signals (preferably high pitched) If it's bounching around you are probably waisting time digging it.
Hope this helps some. Just get out there and have some fun!!! Try not to get discouraged.
We love pictures of finds, keep us posted. HH Gene

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ACE 250. If there is a school playground nearby, it is an easy place to hunt through the woodchips or sand/rocks. Be sure you learn how to dig a neat plug so you don't leave messy holes in the grass. Parks that have baseball diamonds and football/soccer fields are a good next step. See if you can learn about the old parts of your town and where things used to be. You never know what you will find. I found a flying eagle 1858 penny in the sand at a playground! Good luck!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally know what you mean ..When i got the Ace250..I dug about 10 holes before I found a coin..>But slowly I started to see the "Patterns" and figured out what were the true signals, and what was junk signals that read good.. Once you figure out what are the false signals, you will dig ALOT less trash..and as for Sprinkler heads...I pick them up as quarters....But if you raise the detecting a foot or so above the ground and you still get that signal...then you know its something bigger then a quarter...most likely junk...

well good luck...once you startign finding stuff...theres no End :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kblackphoto

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone for the responses im about to go out and practice now that i have some pointers!!! im also going on a walk later on tonight so i will bring my detector and kind of venture out. ill let you know how it goes!

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I started (not that long ago) and I was thinking... will I ever find anything?

I prospect here in the desert so there isn't much to find.

My club had an organised hunt with buried coin targets and I did really well. It was so easy after looking for nuggets!

So practice and look for a hunt, my advice.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome!
The more time you spend with it, the more your machine will talk to you.
All the advice above is great, not much I can add, keep on Diggin!! :thumbsup:

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
welcome to the insanity. old maps and older people who lived in the area for a long time have lot of information you can learn where things were. old parks old churchs sidewalks old stores old schools county fair grounds church picnic grounds. go to the library look at old plat books for the location of houses no longer there. most people i have asked for permission have been very nice. most will like to see what you find. have a good time this is suppost to be fun. you will dig alot of suprises. good luck i hope you find a ton of silver and gold dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread