Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Today I decided to knock on a door I’d driven by in the past to ask for permission, and I’m glad I did! The home was built in 1830 and the owners were very nice. They told me that others had detected the property before (about 3 acres with the home set back from an old road that shows prominently on my area’s 1853 map), but I was free to give it a try.

I’ll skip to the last - and best - find of the day: my first New Jersey Copper coin (1786-1788 or so)!!! I’m so excited, because as a resident of New Jersey who takes this hobby pretty seriously I felt like I would be incomplete until I found one of my state’s coppers. No longer incomplete!
My Jersey Copper is somewhat rough but the shield is still partly intact and on the obverse I can see the horse, but no date.
However I think there is enough detail to hopefully figure out which variety of the Jersey Coppers this one is.
I could use the help of the experts out there - do you see enough to figure out which variety it is? Here’s what I see:
- on the obverse the horse’s ears line up with the “C”, which is not the case on many Jersey Coppers
- also on the obverse I think the plow might be curved, but I can’t be sure.
- on the reverse the bottom of the horizontal lines of the shield line up with the “N” in UNUM; many of the Jersey Copper examples I see don’t line up this way.
Please share your thoughts on what these details might mean.

As for the other finds, here’s what I kept:
- (first row) Crotal bell piece; button with shank that says “plated” and has stars; a cool Union Pacific Lucky Piece from 1934; a BAYER bottle top
- (second row) a buckle that might be a knee or shoe buckle?; a pump organ reed
- (third row) two modern dimes, a zinc penny and two wheat pennies (1920 and an unknown date)

Thanks for checking this out!
- Brian

9A120FCD-AA28-404C-B642-BDDD45EFAC18.jpeg
813C8ACB-87E3-41BB-8430-66915CE06074.jpeg
04A99FDA-5974-4AFF-9152-DE603D95C9FB.jpeg
A6D3CC32-625A-4E44-A400-29CD59751BB4.jpeg
F1114384-EE6D-4F1A-971E-4EC97FC52227.jpeg

Upvote 21

philber

Apr 11, 2016
Loveland Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're on facebook, you can post your copper to Colonial and Early US Coins and Artifacts. Don Hartman has a running survey of all Jersey coppers found and can give you an ID on what the specific type and variation yours is. Nice find!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're on facebook, you can post your copper to Colonial and Early US Coins and Artifacts. Don Hartman has a running survey of all Jersey coppers found and can give you an ID on what the specific type and variation yours is. Nice find!
Thanks so much! I've requested to join that group, and if I get more information I'll add it here.
- Brian

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far no state coins for me yet, congrats!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Philber, thank you again for your excellent suggestion. Overnight the good folks in that Facebook group identified it as a Maris 39-a variety, a "somewhat common variety". I don't care if it's somewhat common in the world of Jersey Coppers - in my world it's a first and a bucket-lister!
- Brian

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Jersey. You will no doubt find more. I have found 8 of them so far way out here in SW PA. Your oval buckle does appear to be a knee buckle.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more update: as philber pointed out, Don Hartman collects data on Jersey Coppers, and has been doing so since 2004. During those 17 years he's collected data on 1,130 Jersey Coppers found, and mine is the 51st Maris 39-a example he's seen, making it a rather common variety of an uncommon coin.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score- Congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more update: as philber pointed out, Don Hartman collects data on Jersey Coppers, and has been doing so since 2004. During those 17 years he's collected data on 1,130 Jersey Coppers found, and mine is the 51st Maris 39-a example he's seen, making it a rather common variety of an uncommon coin.

Attachments

• NEW JERSEY UPDATED CIRCULATION STUDY (2).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread