My first large cent! Found at my ancestors place too!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made a trip with my dad to a favorite site this past weekend, a place in Dauphin county PA where one of my ancestors lived. The area was quite overgrown, so the first day we didn't find a ton of things, but it was worth the trip.

DSC_0811.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg
DSC_0814.jpg
DSC_0815.jpg

\

I have no idea what happened to the IHP. Looks like it has been through a war. The other is dated 1884.

Yesterday afternoon we went back, and this time I brought a scythe with me. I cleared away a section of thick grass and undergrowth, and crawled under the briars to a patch I never hit hard before because of the vegetation. As soon I put my Equinox coil to the ground, I got the squeakiest signal I've ever heard. It rang at a 35! (I have no idea why it rang at a 35. My friend said usually that means like Silver Dollars, not large cents) so I started digging. I was amazed when a large round coin fell out of the plug! I started screaming "Holy shit! I found my first large cent! Oh my god!"

DSC_0817.jpg
DSC_0818.jpg

It's a common dateless Matron Head, so it isn't impressive or valuable. But it's my first largie, and I am very proud of it! Now all I have to do is brush hog the crap out of that place. Spend a whole day clearing brush. Maybe I'll find more.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first LC.
I would clean up the date to see if you get it to show.
The coin has good details still, so the organics should clean off.
Nice bells also, and other finds.
So you have a new detector as well.
Congratulations 👏

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made a trip with my dad to a favorite site this past weekend, a place in Dauphin county PA where one of my ancestors lived. The area was quite overgrown, so the first day we didn't find a ton of things, but it was worth the trip.

View attachment 2047188

View attachment 2047189 View attachment 2047190 View attachment 2047191
\

I have no idea what happened to the IHP. Looks like it has been through a war. The other is dated 1884.

Yesterday afternoon we went back, and this time I brought a scythe with me. I cleared away a section of thick grass and undergrowth, and crawled under the briars to a patch I never hit hard before because of the vegetation. As soon I put my Equinox coil to the ground, I got the squeakiest signal I've ever heard. It rang at a 35! (I have no idea why it rang at a 35. My friend said usually that means like Silver Dollars, not large cents) so I started digging. I was amazed when a large round coin fell out of the plug! I started screaming "Holy shit! I found my first large cent! Oh my god!"

View attachment 2047192 View attachment 2047193

It's a common dateless Matron Head, so it isn't impressive or valuable. But it's my first largie, and I am very proud of it! Now all I have to do is brush hog the crap out of that place. Spend a whole day clearing brush. Maybe I'll find more.
right on great score there I like the fact you cleaned up the site then got rewarded that's cool :cool:

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first LC.
I would clean up the date to see if you get it to show.
The coin has good details still, so the organics should clean off.
Nice bells also, and other finds.
So you have a new detector as well.
Congratulations 👏

Is that organic material on it? I thought it was metal damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread