My first Tesoro showed up today.

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The postman delivered my uMax Golden toady. :)

I bought this used. Looks brand new , never used. Not a scratch on the coil cover.

I know there are two different tone models out there. I'm still trying to figure out which one this is. I see no serial number on the unit. From what I read serial number 190900 and onward have a different layout for the tones.

"
New Tones, Conductivity Range
Ferrous/Iron/Foil Low
Nickel Medium High
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny Medium Low
Silver High

Old Tones, Conductivity Range
Ferrous/Iron/Foil Low
Nickel Medium Low
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny Medium High
Silver High
"
Just need to figure out those two middle tones. I am not use to the machine yet. Still playing.

If everything works out Friday I will have a brand new 3X18 clean sweep on my doorstep to pair up with this machine......just in time for winter. :(

I've read a lot on these machines. I would like to see if they are the Unicorn eveyone talks about. A little air testing tonight does show some great abilities to knock out the pull tabs. Depth not super crazy, but as a park machine searching for fresh drops I think this might be the right (better) tool for the job.

Anybody still using theirs?

Cheers,

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have one but searching around, it looks like they moved "nickels" tone. A poster said the newer models nickels are the second highest tone, was second next to iron.

Both models use the same tones,
240 Hz, 315 Hz, 370 Hz, 500 Hz

Original manual nickels are third at 315hz

Post about nickels moving to 370hz

(there's apps for smartphones to measure audio tones)

And again all the above may be totally wrong!

Steve

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you with your new Tesoro.

OP
OP
Kalvin

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_3881.JPG

Cleansweep coil showed up today, a day early. Brand new old stock. :)

@devldog Thank you. :)

@steve1357 The phone app is a great idea. I'm in Canada. I had to dig thru my nickle jar and find a US nickle last night.

Had it out last night for a quick run. Found a few dollars in coins, couple dog tags. My buddy was out with me with his Garrett AT Pro. I was double checking his pull tabs for him. It was pretty good. He would get a pull tab signal, I had them notched out. I would swipe and confirm a pull tab. We still dug them to check and so far so good.

He found a 585 gold /diamond earring at 49-51 and the uMax Golden seen it also even with the pull tabs notched out.

So far I'm using it the way I use my AT Gold in the park. I run in all metal. When I find a target I switch to Disc (disc settings already set up) and check it. The toggle switch makes it fast and easy going from Disc to all metal. On my AT Max (and the AT Gold) I tend not to use the all metal as much as too many thumb presses to switch back and forth.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Golden years back and loved it. I found more gold rings with that detector than any other of my huge collection of detectors. You have the ultimate "tot lot" detector!

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1984199

Cleansweep coil showed up today, a day early. Brand new old stock. :)

@devldog Thank you. :)

@steve1357 The phone app is a great idea. I'm in Canada. I had to dig thru my nickle jar and find a US nickle last night.

Had it out last night for a quick run. Found a few dollars in coins, couple dog tags. My buddy was out with me with his Garrett AT Pro. I was double checking his pull tabs for him. It was pretty good. He would get a pull tab signal, I had them notched out. I would swipe and confirm a pull tab. We still dug them to check and so far so good.

He found a 585 gold /diamond earring at 49-51 and the uMax Golden seen it also even with the pull tabs notched out.

So far I'm using it the way I use my AT Gold in the park. I run in all metal. When I find a target I switch to Disc (disc settings already set up) and check it. The toggle switch makes it fast and easy going from Disc to all metal. On my AT Max (and the AT Gold) I tend not to use the all metal as much as too many thumb presses to switch back and forth.
The pic is beautiful. That thing looks like cheating! Very nice! I have a cleansweep that I use with a conquistador or outlaw in am and disc to check also. Even with one tone they are very effective combinations.

OP
OP
Kalvin

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a while. Did not detect at all last year. I was far too busy. Out again this year and the Tesoro still doing well. :)

Haven't even played with my Garrett machine.

18K 4.4 grams.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.jpg
    IMG_5034.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 16

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still want one too

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
The postman delivered my uMax Golden toady. :)

I bought this used. Looks brand new , never used. Not a scratch on the coil cover.

I know there are two different tone models out there. I'm still trying to figure out which one this is. I see no serial number on the unit. From what I read serial number 190900 and onward have a different layout for the tones.

"
New Tones, Conductivity Range
Ferrous/Iron/Foil Low
Nickel Medium High
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny Medium Low
Silver High

Old Tones, Conductivity Range
Ferrous/Iron/Foil Low
Nickel Medium Low
Pull Tab/Zinc Penny Medium High
Silver High
"
Just need to figure out those two middle tones. I am not use to the machine yet. Still playing.

If everything works out Friday I will have a brand new 3X18 clean sweep on my doorstep to pair up with this machine......just in time for winter. :(

I've read a lot on these machines. I would like to see if they are the Unicorn eveyone talks about. A little air testing tonight does show some great abilities to knock out the pull tabs. Depth not super crazy, but as a park machine searching for fresh drops I think this might be the right (better) tool for the job.

Anybody still using theirs?

Cheers,
I grew up using tesoro machines. My favorite one was and still is that vaquero. I'm a firm believer that different machines are phenomenal at picking up certain things more so than others. That being my tesoro was a magnet for buttons and percussion caps . I wanted to get the outlaw before they went out of business. I may still try to find one. The vaquero was really good for open areas like fields or woods . As far as really trashy spots like public parks and sidewalks.... let's just say that I hope you have patience!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have one but searching around, it looks like they moved "nickels" tone. A poster said the newer models nickels are the second highest tone, was second next to iron.

Both models use the same tones,
240 Hz, 315 Hz, 370 Hz, 500 Hz

Original manual nickels are third at 315hz

Post about nickels moving to 370hz

(there's apps for smartphones to measure audio tones)

And again all the above may be totally wrong!

Steve
Hey Steve!!! Great info on the golden!!!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, thx for that info Steve!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread