Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Minelab X-terra 705 dual pack
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

The temp almost hit 40 here in CT on Sunday so I decided to go out and get some practice with my X-terra 705. I started at a local tot lot and came away with a clad quarter, a big hunk of iron, and some foil! lol, I must say it is way harder then it looks! After an hour or so at the tot lot I ended up at a local park that has a small swimming area and started detecting there. I found myself 3 state quarters, four memorial pennies, a pull tab, ketchup packet, and a bunch of random foil! The good news is that by the end of the day I was getting much better at targeting and have gained alittle bit of confidence with my machine. I also gained alot of respect for you guys who go out non stop as my legs are still hurting :hello2:
Going out this one time also made me realize that I need a better pinpointer, and better tool/find pouch....but that will come in time.
HH Everybody!

-TMac

Upvote 4

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG you got out and now your hooked for life It will get better HH:occasion14:

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Not a bad start, at all. Where in CT are you? I'm near Danbury.

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My back and legs hurt the first time too, it's like going to he gym for the first time. It disappears as your muscles adjust

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tmac - nice start - get to know your machine thoroughly and perfect your technique and it will come to gether nicely - HH

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need a cheap pinpointer that actually works until you can get the funds to upgrade,Check out the cen-tech pinpointer from harbor freight,I ordered one last summer until i got my propointer ,it will cost around $25 boxed an shipped to your door,There are a ton of reviews online about it,and it also has an internal sensitivity adjustment.A million reviews and how tos to make it work better than it does.I recently lost my propointer again and im using the old cen-tech until kellyco ships my order. That pinpointer is cheap but actually does what it says,probably the best bang for the buck if you need something cheap just to help you along. Just stick with it,You`ll get much better as time goes on!

HH John

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My back and legs hurt the first time too, it's like going to he gym for the first time. It disappears as your muscles adjust

Marko0916 is right...My legs were like jelly the next day after detecting...Once your body gets used to it, it will be much better....only issue i have now is my damn elbows....But i fight thru it.

Good luck out there...I think every time you go out, you will figure out something that you should either do differently...Hell , I have been detecting
a little over 3 years now...and I'm still learning.

Look foward to your future finds!

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words and motivation. :notworthy: If the weather was better yesterday on my day off I would have been out there again!
Luckythirteen, I appreciate the tip on the cheap pin pointer. I currently have the free one that Kellyco gives out (wish I had bought my machine thru Bart..always next time), and I might be being too hasty in saying it sucks...Has anybody else had expierence with this pinpointer? I believe it may be a Texas something (supposedly $70 retail value).
I cant wait for this weekend to go out again...thats if we dont get the 10 inches of snow they are predicting Thursday...
-TMac

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had/used 8 different pin pointer/probes. All worked, some better than others. I currently use Garretts Pro Pointer. I love the varying pulse that lets you know you are real close or a little away. It works best for me. Using this pin pointer puts more in my pouch. I locate my targets quicker, cover more ground a find more with it. I feel lost when I forget it or don,t keep a battery back up in my bag.

You did better on your first outing than I did over 30 years ago. I found a dime and part of a dog chain while detecting a park. I should have found more but went detecting before I read my manual and leaning the machine a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Not a bad start, at all. Where in CT are you? I'm near Danbury.

Im in Manchester, if you ever need someone to detect with let me know. :headbang:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TMac, I'm in Killingly. Been jonseing to get out, but have a few things to get done with my winter hobby, before I start my spring hobby.

gypsybandit

Feb 4, 2011
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I never escape the leg burn... But I'm old and it is good exercise for me...Good luck!

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey TMac, I'm in Killingly. Been jonseing to get out, but have a few things to get done with my winter hobby, before I start my spring hobby.

Cool TMH, same offer goes to you! :)

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Im in Manchester, if you ever need someone to detect with let me know. :headbang:

I'd definitely like to do that when the weather gets a little warmer. Although I've been detecting for 2 years, I still consider myself a "newbie", as well. Danbury has a lot of history, but it seems a lot of it has been paved over, bulldozed... "developed". Is Manchester the same? Here's a GREAT tool for looking at Connecticut towns, comparing to old aerial maps from 1934! Neighborhood Change in Connecticut, 1934 to Present . I think I'll be using it a lot, to scope out local spots to try.

Do you know the Manchester rules regarding detecting on town land? Looking at the old map, "Center Park" and "Washington School" look like they might be good places to try if they're not off limits.

Happy Hunting! - Kayaker

OP
OP
TMac

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd definitely like to do that when the weather gets a little warmer. Although I've been detecting for 2 years, I still consider myself a "newbie", as well. Danbury has a lot of history, but it seems a lot of it has been paved over, bulldozed... "developed". Is Manchester the same? Here's a GREAT tool for looking at Connecticut towns, comparing to old aerial maps from 1934! Neighborhood Change in Connecticut, 1934 to Present . I think I'll be using it a lot, to scope out local spots to try.

Do you know the Manchester rules regarding detecting on town land? Looking at the old map, "Center Park" and "Washington School" look like they might be good places to try if they're not off limits.

Happy Hunting! - Kayaker

Im not sure of the regulations in Manchester regarding detecting on town land, I'll look into this. Its funny you mentioned those two spots as they are both in my mind to hit, and they are both within a five minute walk from my condo. Thanks for the link, I will check the maps out and hopefully come up witha few more spots for us to try. Just message me whenever your ready to go out and we will plan something. :headbang:

HH -TMac

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great job! Keep with it. Every time out, whether you find something good or not, you've accomplished something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread