My first time magnet fishing (Funny!)

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday I brought my magnet to a local bridge to see what I could find. Unfortunately the bridge was iron, so before I could throw my magnet in the water it stuck to the bridge with a big bang. I tried to pry it off but I couldnt! So I got my dad to come with his truck and we finally pulled it off with a chain attached to the truck. After I went fishing for a bit and I found an iron nail so I guess it was all worth it. 😂

Upvote 31

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's definitely a funny story thanks for sharing just making sure the magnet worked

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Haha

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a magnet so my kids and I could do some searching. We found a freshly dumped shotgun on our first try but have found nothing at multiple locations since

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! One of my friends went magnet dragging and the first thing they brought up was another magnet with a broken rope on it.

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Glad I’m not alone! My first magnet trip went similar....although I had to cut the string and magnet is still stuck to a piling UNDER the bridge and too high to get with a boat *face palm*

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that’s lucky i really want a gun. I’ll have to go in the sketchier parts of town though. But I really can’t wait to use it in Europe over the summer. Over 2000 years of history in those rivers

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool ! You found a bridge on your first outing with your magnet !

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahaha!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stick with it pun intended. I saw a video a while ago about some people who found piles of guns and ammo, tanks ect not sure where but wow ,dumped by a bridge. Good luck in Europe You gotta admit thats hillarious you caught a bridge. Ill tell ya I can see myself doing the exact same thing or tossing it down and being stuck to something too heavy to pull up. Tommy

Last edited:

opiecates

Feb 16, 2020
Burlington,iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in my best years I couldn’t pull 800 pounds, or 400, or 200. What’s a reasonable strength fishing magnet so I don’t lose one every time I go out because I ‘caught a bridge’ or ‘caught an underwater pipe?’ 50 years ago I had a large magnet from the Johnson Smith catalog which weighed too much and didn’t catch anything except mud.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stories! :)

I bought an inexpensive magnet for possibly retrieving expensive fishing gear accidentally dropped overboard from the boat or through a hole, ice fishing. I have yet to try it out. I forgot how many pounds of attraction it's supposed to provide, but it's strong. I wouldn't want to get it near the magnetic strip on the back of my debit card! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in my best years I couldn’t pull 800 pounds, or 400, or 200. What’s a reasonable strength fishing magnet so I don’t lose one every time I go out because I ‘caught a bridge’ or ‘caught an underwater pipe?’ 50 years ago I had a large magnet from the Johnson Smith catalog which weighed too much and didn’t catch anything except mud.

A good lightweight magnet is the brute magnetics junior which pulls 350 pounds. Keep in mind though that these are very small and can only pull in a realistic situation a fraction of its rated pulling force

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good lightweight magnet is the brute magnetics junior which pulls 350 pounds. Keep in mind though that these are very small and can only pull in a realistic situation a fraction of its rated pulling force

My choice is in the 400 range, and they can stick to a metal dock piling to the point that I needed a shovel to get it loose. I have brought up a full sized lawn mower to the surface with that sized magnet. I have a long reach hook that I use in those situations. We do have a Magnet Fishing area here on this forum for your next post.

Last edited:

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought maybe the story was going to end with a chain and bumper connected to a magnet stuck to a bridge.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought maybe the story was going to end with a chain and bumper connected to a magnet stuck to a bridge.

No it was the hull of a atomic sub. I had one he** of a time getting that thing out of the water.:occasion14:

opiecates

Feb 16, 2020
Burlington,iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to pointing me towards a Magnetic Fishing site. Since I’m new to detecting (waiting for the ground to thaw to use my first detector), I’m spending time surfing around the site and appreciate any new learning or referrals. As I said in an earlier post, 50 years ago I had a magnet the size of a toaster, the weight of my neighbors wife, and it wouldn’t pick up much. Nice to see the size and price on magnets now.

By the way, talking about pulling things out of the water. I live in SE Iowa on the mighty muddy Mississippi River. Emphasis on muddy. Last summer a woman’s SUV rolled through a parking lot missing light poles, two cars, rolled down the boat ramp and into the river. The next day a scuba diver went into the river and hooked a wrecker cable to a vehicle. When they pulled it out, it wasn’t her’s. What size magnet would I use for that job?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinboy: Your STORY IS NOT FUNNY at ALL !!!!! I hate it when PEOPLE remind me of my PAST EXPERIENCES !!!! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread