🥇 BANNER My First US Gold Coin!

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
It took almost 40 years but I finally found a US minted gold coin.

I put my small coil on the Equinox 800 with the intention of working an area that is laden with square nails, deteriorating cans and junk. Never got there. As I was crossing a dry creek I got a solid 20 on the VDI and thought I'd be digging a lead bullet or something of that nature.

QTR Eagle Site.jpg

I was absolutely floored when I dug what certainly looked like gold through the dirt.
QTR Eagle Dirt (1).jpg

And oh man it was!
QTR Eagle Edge.jpg

It just doesn't seem real after digging thousands of square nails, shell casings, rivets, buttons etc. etc. I've found silver coins and some cool relics but never a US minted gold coin. My life is now complete. Ha!
QTR Eagle fnt.jpg

QTR Eagle Rev.jpg

Upvote 225

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I put my small coil on the Equinox 800 with the intention of working an area that is laden with square nails, deteriorating cans and junk. Never got there. As I was crossing a dry creek I got a solid 20 on the VDI and thought I'd be digging a lead bullet or something of that nature.

View attachment 1984885

I was absolutely floored when I dug what certainly looked like gold through the dirt. View attachment 1984883

And oh man it was! View attachment 1984884

It just doesn't seem real after digging thousands of square nails, shell casings, rivets, buttons etc. etc. I've found silver coins and some cool relics but never a US minted gold coin. My life is now complete. Ha!
View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882
Good mercy I am green with envy OOORAH Dude.Bet there's another one close by!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

View attachment 1984885

I was absolutely floored when I dug what certainly looked like gold through the dirt. View attachment 1984883

View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882
Such a sweet and satisfying find, congratulations!

All the best,

Lanny

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was there last year when my buddy scored a $1 gold piece. I have never, ever seen a more sincere and spontaneous dance of happiness than what I witnessed that day. He hasn't been at it for 40 years, but at least 20. I can only imagine (barely) your excitement.

Fredy Williams

Dec 27, 2016
Ohio, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Right now AT Max, A Technics Omega 8500
minlab705 Gold, whites, garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am like so many still digging, mine will surface soon

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hearty congrats! BANNER! I too know the feeling, I dug my first gold coin April 2018, rang up solid 12 on the Knox 800 at about 4-5 inches. Could not believe I had dug my first 1852 Liberty Head 1 dollar gold coin-not another Jefferson nickel! 🤣😎

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that's beautiful! Bet you pulse was thru the roof, lol!

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
It took me 30 years before I found mine. Nice going, super find ... PS . Go back to where you found it.. LOLOLOLOL

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THAT is AWESOME! I am so jealous!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1984885

View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882

View attachment 1984885

View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882
Well Ed, I think you might of won best coin of the month way back when. Good for you, you have more than earned it. Forty years? means in 4 or 5 more years I'm next! I know you enough to know you checked all around that area JUST in case it was a small spill of more of the same. You did, didn't you Ed?

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1984885

View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882
Well worth the wait. Big congrats on finding such a beautiful coin. Photos are terrific!

Sam Holden

Sep 26, 2020
NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even imagine the excitement when you saw that glimmer ✨

tonystark

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1984885

View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882
The stuff I did up normally isn’t in that great of shape looks like it came out of museum or shop

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Nice Going !! Welcome to the club...... Well it took me 39 years to find that little devil. Very simple, get a signal in the middle of nowhere walk past it ... Think about it ...... backstep to where you got the signal, run the coil back over the signal ... Be ready for another trash signal ..... Then sit back in amazement as you see this dirty gold reeded edge of a coin and then it dawns on you that its the real deal ... No different then any other hole dug but this one had the elusive gold coin.. They are out there but please find your before the 39 year mark ...... JIm

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1984885

View attachment 1984881
View attachment 1984882
So happy for you. Wow!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Great Find Thanks for S haring * * * * * 5 Stars
goldnugget, North Carolina

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread