SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a newbie but I finally found my first whole skeleton key. Is there any way to date these keys? I see no markings but the surface appears to be hammered? I think the key is brass? Thanks for any info.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the key recovery, always a nice find they are.
I agree with Cru' of it looking more like iron. Take a magnet to see if it sticks.

It looks as the "Bit" (part that goes into the lock) was a one of two that were commonly sold.
What is unique is the off setting of the Bow and the Bit, which most keys are in the same direction.

OP
OP
demano

demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did test with magnet and no attraction so I assumed brass, would iron have same attraction as steel? Thanks all for the information.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a newbie but I finally found my first whole skeleton key. Is there any way to date these keys? I see no markings but the surface appears to be hammered? I think the key is brass? Thanks for any info.
very special find, still looking for my first, wtg

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Nice key! Not sure what to make of the magnetic profile given I would have guessed same as Cru and pepper. Regardless, based on the rust I think I see, you’ll want to consider cleaning and stabilizing. I did my last one with electrolysis and then boiled in paraffin. Turned out great.

OP
OP
demano

demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice key! Not sure what to make of the magnetic profile given I would have guessed same as Cru and pepper. Regardless, based on the rust I think I see, you’ll want to consider cleaning and stabilizing. I did my last one with electrolysis and then boiled in paraffin. Turned out great.
Thanks just starting to build my electrolysis unit. Where do you get the quanity of wax? Thanks

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks just starting to build my electrolysis unit. Where do you get the quanity of wax? Thanks
Don,t mean to butt in,but there are several types of trap wax,for waxing steel animal traps,both clear and some have a coloring to them.This wax is specifically formulated for iron and steel.You can order it from any trapper supply house.Just google trap supplies and you,ll get plenty of hits.You do know you have to heat the wax quite hot and put the object in it,usually until no more bubbles appear and then pull it out and shake off the excess,let it cool and voila,perfectly sealed.

OP
OP
demano

demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t mean to butt in,but there are several types of trap wax,for waxing steel animal traps,both clear and some have a coloring to them.This wax is specifically formulated for iron and steel.You can order it from any trapper supply house.Just google trap supplies and you,ll get plenty of hits.You do know you have to heat the wax quite hot and put the object in it,usually until no more bubbles appear and then pull it out and shake off the excess,let it cool and voila,perfectly sealed.
Thanks for the info. Going to order.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Huh. I just used parriffin same as Aquachigger after watching his vids. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Picked up a pot from the thrift store and used my BBQ side burner. Finally found a use for the bloody thing.

OP: those videos are worth a watch if you haven’t already regardless of the wax you use.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh. I just used parriffin same as Aquachigger after watching his vids. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Picked up a pot from the thrift store and used my BBQ side burner. Finally found a use for the bloody thing.

OP: those videos are worth a watch if you haven’t already regardless of the wax you use.
Nothing at all wrong with good old parriffin wax.The trap wax is a bit less brittle and adheres better to iron. For sure watch the videos if you,ve never hot waxed an item before.Hot wax will burn ya too,just like any hot liquid so be careful.If it begins to smoke,turn down the heat,it can catch fire so have a small fire extinguisher handy.Common sense goes a long way.

OP
OP
demano

demano

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing at all wrong with good old parriffin wax.The trap wax is a bit less brittle and adheres better to iron. For sure watch the videos if you,ve never hot waxed an item before.Hot wax will burn ya too,just like any hot liquid so be careful.If it begins to smoke,turn down the heat,it can catch fire so have a small fire extinguisher handy.Common sense goes a long way.
Thanks for all the help, this site is my daily read when I can't be out searching. Love it.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exciting....mine was probably turn of the century....as the house where it was found was early 1900's... I'm guessing yours is late 1800's or early 19...but I'm certain somebody can nail it for you.... congratulations 👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread