My friend found a container of old marbles at her Grandfather's house!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were in this old wooden tea container. They look to be in really good condition. There are quite a few that I believe to be German swirls with the ground down pontil marks/tool marks. I took a few quick pictures when I was over there today. She put a good many in her fish tank as you can see :laughing7:. The rest are still in the tea container.

I'm hoping Cheese and/or anyone else can comment on which ones are the best, and approximate values.
I can get better and more complete pictures of the whole collection, and close ups of any may be special.

Attachments

• Fishbowl.jpg
    Fishbowl.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • Bucket - Top.jpg
    Bucket - Top.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • Bucket - Side.jpg
    Bucket - Side.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • Examples.jpg
    Examples.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Oh goodness, get those out of the fish tank, fish tanks ruin marbles (the water leaches minerals out of the glass surface and causes them to slowly get a frosted surface which totally ruins value) and you have hundreds of dollars worth there, maybe thousands. That white one with green and gold bands could be worth a small fortune by itself. You have many 100+ year old very collectible marbles there. Condition is key in value. One nick can cause a marble to go from being $700.00 to $200.00. Don't let them contact each other and take some more detailed pics.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh goodness, get those out of the fish tank, fish tanks ruin marbles (the water leaches minerals out of the glass surface and causes them to slowly get a frosted surface which totally ruins value) and you have hundreds of dollars worth there, maybe thousands. That white one with green and gold bands could be worth a small fortune by itself. You have many 100+ year old very collectible marbles there. Condition is key in value. One nick can cause a marble to go from being $700.00 to $200.00. Don't let them contact each other and take some more detailed pics.
Thanks Cheese. I called her and advised her to get them out of the fish tank! I also sent her the link to your response. I'll see her next weekend and I'll get more/better pictures.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
In the fish photo, there is one with gold at 2:00 too, big $ marble. Also the one iunder the fish tail, looks like it has a blue core. If so, also big $ and rare. The dark red one in the wooden round box, a good hand gathered brick with what looks like a mint original surface, very collectible. The clay ones are fairly common but old.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a number handmade German swirls (clear with colored glass inside), one I think is called an onion skin and one with mica sparkles in it. Those are some of the more collectible marbles and they all seem to be in great shape!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread