hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an amazing story. Well, it's amazing to me when I add to the equation the fact that I almost disregarded this as insignificant. I recently decided to hunt an area along the Wabash River in western Indiana where I live. There were three reasons I chose to detect there. There was supposed to have been an early French trading post and a Native American village somewhere in the vicinity. Also the village was attacked by the American military in the very early 1800's. A varied history and more than enough to peak my interest. The first item I found was a possible musket ball. It looks purposely altered to me. I read where that was done to make them more potent. Long shot I know but not out of the question. The second item I found looks like it could possibly be from an early firearm. Maybe a trigger guard, or part of one. Within a few feet of this I found a small brass item with markings that looked like letters. Later at home I looked at the back and decided it had been some type of ring. It was days later that the "Jesuit Ring" idea crossed my mind. But I had always thought that they mainly had symbols on them. I almost didn't pursue it but after a quick online search I came upon one that was found earlier this year by another T-net member. I was so excited that his was so similar that I decided to PM him about what I had found. Thanks Steve in PA for your help! I'll include a link to his first and then my pics. I've seen no others with these letters. https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/found-a-trade-ring-looking-for-info.670698/ 20220920_164128.jpg 20220920_164203.jpg 20220920_164220.jpg 20220830_214858.jpg 20220830_215218.jpg 20220830_215944.jpg 20220830_215955.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 18
OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the stuff i think of finding but never have. Great plan and great find!
Thanks! I actually never thought of finding one. More of something you would find in the upper mid Atlantic states I always thought.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided it wouldn't be a good thread without a side by side comparison of both rings. Mine is the first pic and was found in western Indiana. The next was found by Steve in PA in Ohio he said. 20220830_215218.jpg Ring Front 2.jpg

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Hunting Deer NICE FIND !! You might want to contact the Jesuit Museum in St. Louis , Mo. at the Washington University. They could give you some more info on you're ring !! They have moved the Jesuit Museum there several years ago from in Hazelwood , Mo. at their actual Jesuit school to teach the Jesuit's the trades of carpentry , metal working , map making , cooking etc. Aswell as the Indian's that lived and worked there. I toured that school before they moved it into the current location in St. Louis , Mo. If you were to go there take your camara. I think you'll be very interested in the maps , and paintings these Jesuit's made of where they went to !!!! Make sure your camara will do macro shots of these map's paintings !! VERY INTERESTING !!! P.S. look closely at the maps / paintings for very small marks or signs ! you may just see something hidden in plain view!

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should put that gun piece in the what is it forum. Is it broken? Somebody might identify the type of gun, cool looking piece.

Kushy

Nov 27, 2022
This is an amazing story. Well, it's amazing to me when I add to the equation the fact that I almost disregarded this as insignificant. I recently decided to hunt an area along the Wabash River in western Indiana where I live. There were three reasons I chose to detect there. There was supposed to have been an early French trading post and a Native American village somewhere in the vicinity. Also the village was attacked by the American military in the very early 1800's. A varied history and more than enough to peak my interest. The first item I found was a possible musket ball. It looks purposely altered to me. I read where that was done to make them more potent. Long shot I know but not out of the question. The second item I found looks like it could possibly be from an early firearm. Maybe a trigger guard, or part of one. Within a few feet of this I found a small brass item with markings that looked like letters. Later at home I looked at the back and decided it had been some type of ring. It was days later that the "Jesuit Ring" idea crossed my mind. But I had always thought that they mainly had symbols on them. I almost didn't pursue it but after a quick online search I came upon one that was found earlier this year by another T-net member. I was so excited that his was so similar that I decided to PM him about what I had found. Thanks Steve in PA for your help! I'll include a link to his first and then my pics. I've seen no others with these letters. https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/found-a-trade-ring-looking-for-info.670698/ View attachment 2048307 View attachment 2048308 View attachment 2048309 View attachment 2048310 View attachment 2048311 View attachment 2048312 View attachment 2048313
Amazing find. Congrats
I decided it wouldn't be a good thread without a side by side comparison of both rings. Mine is the first pic and was found in western Indiana. The next was found by Steve in PA in Ohio he said. View attachment 2048333 View attachment 2048334
Amazing find. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread