My Largest Flint Core

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this flint core in the mid 90s in Central Missouri. It is my largest flint core and shows lots flakes already removed, they are removed all around it except for the cortex on the bottom. I placed a quarter on top for size reference.

20221115_102708.jpg

Upvote 19
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Core is a nice one. I have a few but they are Conical in shape.
Yes, I have several that are smaller and conical in shape I was surprised when I found this one, it was along the edge of a spring-fed creek about 25 feet from the creek.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I think cores are great study pieces. Sometimes they can tell you a lot about knapping practices in ancient times. Although not Native American, here’s my best (but not largest) specimen. It’s from Le Grand-Pressigny in the South Touraine region of central France.

Neolithic Nucleus (Livre de Beurre) (i).jpg
Neolithic Nucleus (Livre de Beurre) (ii).jpg
Neolithic Nucleus (Livre de Beurre) (iii).jpg

The French call it a “livre-de-beurre” (literally “pound of butter”) from the resemblance the faceted surfaces have to farmhouse butter slapped into shape with wooden paddles in olden times. They get a lot bigger than this one and usually they have long narrow facets, yielding flakes from which artefacts of the “long blade” industry of the late Neolithic were fashioned.

There’s a large flint quarry complex at Le Grand-Pressigny from which this caramel-coloured lithic was mined in the Chalcolithic subset period of the Late Neolithic between about 2,900-2,400 BC. It seems to have been prized as a high quality material that was traded as cores, unfinished blanks and finished tools across Europe. Examples have been found as far apart as the Pyrenees, the Netherlands and Switzerland.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice. Good size to it.

Burlington?

I lived for a while in Eureka Missouri in the 70s, and my then wife's sister husbands' family owned much of the Crescent bottom area. I found some nice relics there. Back then it was rural, now it's all built up.

Congrats.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Good size to it.

Burlington?

I lived for a while in Eureka Missouri in the 70s, and my then wife's sister husbands' family owned much of the Crescent bottom area. I found some nice relics there. Back then it was rural, now it's all built up.

Congrats.
I lived in Columbia Mo for 20 years.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I found this flint core in the mid 90s in Central Missouri. It is my largest flint core and shows lots flakes already removed, they are removed all around it except for the cortex on the bottom. I placed a quarter on top for size reference.

View attachment 2055679
That is a cool core. Any idea what the material is?
It appears to be a darker lithic under a white patina.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome core. I've seen some ones from Kentucky like that one.

This is an 80+Lbs hornstone core that I saved a picture of. Similar, they peeled the cortex off but didn't break into the darker hornstone.
Nice one, I have never weighed mine, I will have to do so. Feels like about 30 pounds, but that is only a guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread