My Local Savers Store is Refusing to Accept Cash!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to my local Savers store once a week looking for collectibles to sell on eBay. When I got to the checkout, there was a big sign stating that they only accept credit cards. This is illegal in my state of RI, but I guess they don't care. Also, on the front of every U.S. note it clearly states, "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private", so how can they refuse cash? Even if RI didn't have a law forbidding this practice, it seems like it shouldn't be allowed. What's you take on this deal?

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
What you are saying is absolutely true. It is technically illegal to not accept cash for a transaction. Of course they could just hide behind some rule of “refusing you service” if you pushed them.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
What you are saying is absolutely true. It is technically illegal to not accept cash for a transaction. Of course they could just hide behind some rule of “refusing you service” if you pushed them.

I should also add that the only thing that allows our system to work (I.e the fiat backed money system vs a specie backed system) is that the value of the money in your pocket has a specific value and the collective belief concurs With that. If places stop accepting currency as legal tender... well all of a sudden our financial system is in a very precarious position.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no federal law requiring anyone to take cash, regardless of what's printed on US notes. A few states have laws on cash sales, oddly Rhode Island's law has no penalty for breaking it. With the virus and a severe coin shortage I think a little leeway on cash sales is in order. I am a little surprised that a Savers would go cashless as a lot of their customers are low income and rely on cash.

The financial system works just fine whether physical cash is used or not. Absolutely 0% of my income is paid to me in cash, and less than 1% of my expenses are paid with cash. This is true for a lot of people and the trend is growing. System still works.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m 99.9 % cash. I won’t do business with those that won’t accept cash. I just go elsewhere.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no federal law requiring anyone to take cash, regardless of what's printed on US notes. A few states have laws on cash sales, oddly Rhode Island's law has no penalty for breaking it. With the virus and a severe coin shortage I think a little leeway on cash sales is in order. I am a little surprised that a Savers would go cashless as a lot of their customers are low income and rely on cash.

The financial system works just fine whether physical cash is used or not. Absolutely 0% of my income is paid to me in cash, and less than 1% of my expenses are paid with cash. This is true for a lot of people and the trend is growing. System still works.

I am not wiling to keep making banks money by using credit cards. I use cash only. Putting everything cashless allows for more potential for abuse as well.....

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also a 99 % cash user. If I walked into a store and saw that sign, I would say something to the manager (cause that's how I am) and tell them why I won't be shopping there any longer. No one entity or any business will force me to use credit cards. I am currently helping the coin shortage, buy paying for small purchases in coins !

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a credit card wherever I can, and pay it off monthly.. It's like a 30 day free loan to me.. no interest at all. The airlines have been refusing cash for in-flight purchases for a long time.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some places around here are also refusing cash and citing the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic as the reason. Hopefully, they will go back to taking my filthy money when this craziness dies down.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014

I’ll be damned. I stand corrected. Thanks Carl. I never knew that.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a debit card mostly, for local purchases. Sometimes cash. Some stores have stopped handling cash. The self checkouts at Wally World, stopped taking or issuing cash. But, everybody is using their index finger, the dirtiest, used for EVERYTHING, to enter their pin on the pin pad. So, don't pick your nose or rub your eyes until you use sanitizer or wash your hands. Just saying.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a credit card wherever I can, and pay it off monthly.. It's like a 30 day free loan to me.. no interest at all. The airlines have been refusing cash for in-flight purchases for a long time.

The more places you use a credit or debit card, the more likely your account will be compromised. A friend of mine recently had her debit card compromised. She used her card at a gas pump and the next morning there were over 50 deposits and charges on her statement. They added over 4k to the account and then started charging items online. The bank straightened it out, but she still can't use her Cumberland Farms smartpay card. They said it's okay to use, but it keeps getting rejected at the pump.

How did this happen? Someone at a Hess gas station put a card skimmer on top of the actual card reader and got her info that way. Here's a video to show how they do it. Bottom line, cash is king in my world!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I am not wiling to keep making banks money by using credit cards. I use cash only. Putting everything cashless allows for more potential for abuse as well.....

I am like creskol. I use my credit card as much as I can because it makes ME money. I get a 30 day free loan PLUS, they pay me 1 to 5% to use their credit card. I have no cards with annual fees and ALWAYS pay my bill in full and on time. I recenlty used over $500 in free money from my american express rebate card to pay my credit card bill!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
FreeBirdTim. I am 56 years old now and have NEVER had a compromised account. Thousands of dollars I have made off of credit card rebates. Yes, thousands.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeBirdTim. I am 56 years old now and have NEVER had a compromised account. Thousands of dollars I have made off of credit card rebates. Yes, thousands.

just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't in the future.....

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I am like creskol. I use my credit card as much as I can because it makes ME money. I get a 30 day free loan PLUS, they pay me 1 to 5% to use their credit card. I have no cards with annual fees and ALWAYS pay my bill in full and on time. I recenlty used over $500 in free money from my american express rebate card to pay my credit card bill!
Supposedly, we all pay for that in the form of increased merchant fees generated by the CC company. Which means we pay more for the products in the end, to cover the fees.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposedly, we all pay for that in the form of increased merchant fees generated by the CC company. Which means we pay more for the products in the end, to cover the fees.

don't forget the 4 percent upcharge in some places for using a credit card.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a debit card mostly, for local purchases. Sometimes cash. Some stores have stopped handling cash. The self checkouts at Wally World, stopped taking or issuing cash. But, everybody is using their index finger, the dirtiest, used for EVERYTHING, to enter their pin on the pin pad. So, don't pick your nose or rub your eyes until you use sanitizer or wash your hands. Just saying.

This is why I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/KeySmart-Nan...=1&keywords=mini+stylus&qid=1596645527&sr=8-5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions