my modified sluice

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 64 beetle 014.jpg
    64 beetle 014.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 732
  • 64 beetle 015.jpg
    64 beetle 015.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 726
  • 64 beetle 018.jpg
    64 beetle 018.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 700
  • 64 beetle 017.jpg
    64 beetle 017.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 691

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put some ribs on,and we'll try it out ! mods look good.carpet and possibly ,ribbed mat should be just right. :thumbsup:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking good there.
Some get so big I wonder if they need wheels.
When are you going to try it out?

Grey

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use it all the time this was just the first chance i had it home and a camera to take pics and show it works just fine...sorry the gold pics are blurry it was getin dark didnt take that great of a pic.

Attachments

• gold 002.jpg
    gold 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 657
  • gold 002.jpg
    gold 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 600
  • gold 009cmp.jpg
    gold 009cmp.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 707
  • P8140007.JPG
    P8140007.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 587

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works it works but you are going to have build up in front of that carpet,and it is going to interfere with your riffle action.Also I would raise and move back your classifier.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use this box as my final gold catch....the only thing runnin through it is slurry classified to under 1/2 inch no rocks no clay no organics every thing has been through about eight feet of trough/flume with flat bottom and two grizzly sets from one inch to 1/2 basically a long tom..i never have build up in front of the carpet. and the punch plate has never been full or built up underneath cleans out awesome this design is based on several years of testing in the field and i wouldnt change a thing it catches very fine gold.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
That's some nice gold man. Well done. I might have to try that rubber matting with the expanded steel, looks like it works good.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like the v mat expanded combo cause it makes alot of deep gold traps and helps prevent scouring, gold drops in and the lighter material clears out at a nice rate even with different flow amounts comin through the sluice sometimes i dont think it clears quick enugh for me in low water but i think i want a set of shorter riffles for those situations right now water isnt an issue though.i wasnt liking the way miners moss stuck up and through the expanded and seemed to hold on to light sand too and build up more than i wanted...carpet wasnt that much better for me. and it is so fast to clean out the long piece isnt glued in roll it up put in bucket of water, slosh out ,sluice ,repeat..... :icon_thumleft: i definately noticed an increase in very fine gold the pain in the butt to pan gold yet the gold that is most prevalent, therefore the gold i wanna make sure to get.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Ya I made a small sluice kinda using your idea. Next to my 5 foot sluice for scale. The new sampling one is 22 inches long.

This one is for sampling creeks especially so it has a large flare to help bring in water.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try turning your expanded so it makes a high spot on the up stream side look at my pics, helps make the low preassure zone. i'm gonna make a portaple diverter...two poles about two feet long with a tarp between so i can roll it up for packin in, and unroll to set in the creek within my wing dam tuck it under the sluice flare. it will put more flow through the sluice and ill spend less time messin with my wing dam when i make it ill post pics its gonna be a bit cause i dont have to worry about flow right now. nice sluices by the way.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Just got in from testing the sluice all morning. It works great and caught a lot of black sand, garnets, and zircons. I was just sampling on my friends creek in greenville so no Au unfortunately.

Macgyver12

Greenie
Dec 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to build a sluice, could you give me the dimensions of the sluice and riffles?
You put a rubber mat under the perforated sheet metal?
You put the synthetic lawn to avoid the sand in the riffles through?

i have carpet strips to close the gap between the riffles and the expanded metal.Keeps very fine gold.Wish it were lighter.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try turning your expanded so it makes a high spot on the up stream side look at my pics, helps make the low preassure zone. i'm gonna make a portaple diverter...two poles about two feet long with a tarp between so i can roll it up for packin in, and unroll to set in the creek within my wing dam tuck it under the sluice flare. it will put more flow through the sluice and ill spend less time messin with my wing dam when i make it ill post pics its gonna be a bit cause i dont have to worry about flow right now. nice sluices by the way.

Pretty sure Astro knows which way to run the raised expanded. Good tip for those who don't though:icon_thumleft:
I've seen so called experts who had it in backwards but since it still caught some gold that way they wouldn't admit it. :tongue3:

GG~

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet bump on the three year old thread8-) Good Guy I think at the time I just th:dontknow:ought Astrobouncer didn't know...definitely like and respect that guy..If he came to the west coast he would fill a nice poke for sure. MacGyver 12 Just buy one and modify. Unless you have a shop then by all means fabricate but, skip the whole wood and home Depot rubber mat thing. First and foremost Do you know how to pan? Are you in a Gold bearing area? 80 bucks and you got a sluice. The Sluice the pictures had been on my 2.5 inch dredge until about a month after the ban:tongue3: . The restaurant I worked at closed that winter and I paid the bills all summer with it....Including the fact that I had my wedding in October. I converted it in the fall of 2009 to a stream sluice I could shovel into because bucket classifying sucks and stops digging and or scraping. I had a spot with great flow. It was a sweet set up and had did great on fine gold. I don't care what anyone says, the exchange on that deep v-mat with expanded is great and catches and holds talcum powder and noseeum gold. It is still the way I run my aluminum stream sluice at spots where I feel like carrying it. That coffee can lid was a fun 1000 dollar clean up, That Keene sluice has been all profit every day its gotten wet for a while now.I carry a drop riffle with a built in classifier now it works great I am gonna change the classification screen to cover the whole flare area so material can move more easily. This sluice catches very fine gold as well. On new years on top of fine gold I hit a pocket of broken up braided copper wire, a lot of it .Great recovery and only like 3.5 pounds instead of 8 to 15 like 'Ol Betsy in my first pics.

Attachments

• phone 106.jpg
    phone 106.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 1388596450355.jpg
    1388596450355.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Macgyver12

Greenie
Dec 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not send me the plans or dimensions that you are allowed to build your sluice on my private address?

Sweet bump on the three year old thread8-) Good Guy I think at the time I just th:dontknow:ought Astrobouncer didn't know...definitely like and respect that guy..If he came to the west coast he would fill a nice poke for sure. MacGyver 12 Just buy one and modify. Unless you have a shop then by all means fabricate but, skip the whole wood and home Depot rubber mat thing. First and foremost Do you know how to pan? Are you in a Gold bearing area? 80 bucks and you got a sluice. The Sluice the pictures had been on my 2.5 inch dredge until about a month after the ban:tongue3: . The restaurant I worked at closed that winter and I paid the bills all summer with it....Including the fact that I had my wedding in October. I converted it in the fall of 2009 to a stream sluice I could shovel into because bucket classifying sucks and stops digging and or scraping. I had a spot with great flow. It was a sweet set up and had did great on fine gold. I don't care what anyone says, the exchange on that deep v-mat with expanded is great and catches and holds talcum powder and noseeum gold. It is still the way I run my aluminum stream sluice at spots where I feel like carrying it. That coffee can lid was a fun 1000 dollar clean up, That Keene sluice has been all profit every day its gotten wet for a while now.I carry a drop riffle with a built in classifier now it works great I am gonna change the classification screen to cover the whole flare area so material can move more easily. This sluice catches very fine gold as well. On new years on top of fine gold I hit a pocket of broken up braided copper wire, a lot of it .Great recovery and only like 3.5 pounds instead of 8 to 15 like 'Ol Betsy in my first pics.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allowed?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread