My "new" detector was delivered today. Sure brings back memories...

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My parents bought me my first detector in 1971. I was 12 years old and thought this was the best gift I'd ever received.

At the time I found a large butcher knife and a brass brooch in the backyard, first time out. I still have the brooch somewhere, I'll have to find it. But the detector is long gone.

I don't remember much more about it and didn't remember what it was called, but always remembered what it looked like. I spent months searching online just to find out who made it and the name without any luck, so I gave up looking. Being bored one day last week I decided to search some more and finally found a photo. I was excited just to know what it was called but even more so when I realized it was for sale on eBay, still in its box with instructions!

It was listed for $33. Of course I bought it, even knowing it probably no longer worked (it doesn't).

Just an on-off switch and red light that tells when over metal -- no speaker. The red knob on the coil is to adjust it -- turn it on, then turn the knob until the light just goes out, then it's time to go hunting!

it will go on a shelf in my studio.

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg
IMG_3915.jpg
IMG_3913.jpg
IMG_3914.jpg

Upvote 9

S.Carolinahunter

Jan 21, 2022
Orangeburg County S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace Apex
My parents bought me my first detector in 1971. I was 12 years old and thought this was the best gift I'd ever received.

At the time I found a large butcher knife and a brass brooch in the backyard, first time out. I still have the brooch somewhere, I'll have to find it. But the detector is long gone.

I don't remember much more about it and didn't remember what it was called, but always remembered what it looked like. I spent months searching online just to find out who made it and the name without any luck, so I gave up looking. Being bored one day last week I decided to search some more and finally found a photo. I was excited just to know what it was called but even more so when I realized it was for sale on eBay, still in its box with instructions!

It was listed for $33. Of course I bought it, even knowing it probably no longer worked (it doesn't).

Just an on-off switch and red light that tells when over metal -- no speaker. The red knob on the coil is to adjust it -- turn it on, then turn the knob until the light just goes out, then it's time to go hunting!

View attachment 2015529

View attachment 2015533 View attachment 2015536 View attachment 2015534 View attachment 2015535
Oh those glory days when you thought that was the coolest thing ever..glad you have the opportunity to take that trip back to your childhood

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021

View attachment 2015529

View attachment 2015533 View attachment 2015536 View attachment 2015534 View attachment 2015535
If you want to restore the detector back to operating condition have a look inside for malformed capacitors.

Since they banned lead solder, tin based solders grow whiskers causing failure in electronics.

NASA, Tin Whisker Home Page.

Bad-electrolytic-capacitors-with-residue-buldging-and-lift.jpg

OP
OP
Emil W

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh those glory days when you thought that was the coolest thing ever..glad you have the opportunity to take that trip back to your childhood

Thanks. I mentioned having this detector when I was a kid in another thread. That's what made me do a google search for it again after failing to find it when I looked for one months ago. Never expected to find one for sale -- had no choice, had to buy it. LOL

OP
OP
Emil W

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to restore the detector back to operating condition have a look inside for malformed capacitors.

Since they banned lead solder, tin based solders grow whiskers causing failure in electronics.

NASA, Tin Whisker Home Page.

Thanks. I opened it up. There's very little inside, maybe half dozen capacitors on a three square inch board. All of them look like new as do all the contacts. I'm thinking it could be the bulb but it's glued in place so can't be easily replaced. I'll test it to see if that's it. I don't really mind it not working but if I had found anything easy to replace or fix I would have. I wanted it just to display.

Still have to look inside my Coinmaster to see what the capacitors look like. Eventually I'll get around to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread