Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To celebrate a new job and promotion, the wife let me upgrade from my Garrett Ace 200. On the recommendation of another member, I went to metaldetector.com and got the Fisher F5 "closeout" package for $300 shipped to my door. I anxiously unpacked it last night and - even though I have no idea how to use all its functions yet - I took it out to the schoolyard around the corner for an hour before dark yesterday.

Even though I've picked over this field many times with the Ace 200, this Fisher just tore it up. Coin after coin with very little trash dug up. 17 coins in an hour including 8 quarters. Was digging up some deeper and older stuff, too (a few early 70's, which is when the school was built).

Even my 15-year-old was impressed enough to put his phone down and get excited!

I can't wait to learn this thing properly. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

IMG_7150.jpg

Upvote 35

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck learning your new machine - good start.

''Even my 15-year-old was impressed enough to put his phone down and get excited!''

So true of modern society & sad at the same time.
(One of the last survivors of the no mobile race, now nearly impossible to uphold)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To celebrate a new job and promotion, the wife let me upgrade from my Garrett Ace 200. On the recommendation of another member, I went to metaldetector.com and got the Fisher F5 "closeout" package for $300 shipped to my door. I anxiously unpacked it last night and - even though I have no idea how to use all its functions yet - I took it out to the schoolyard around the corner for an hour before dark yesterday.

Even though I've picked over this field many times with the Ace 200, this Fisher just tore it up. Coin after coin with very little trash dug up. 17 coins in an hour including 8 quarters. Was digging up some deeper and older stuff, too (a few early 70's, which is when the school was built).

I can't wait to learn this thing properly. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

View attachment 2036367
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So true of modern society & sad at the same time.
(One of the last survivors of the no mobile race, now nearly impossible to uphold)
Yep, absolutely. And I'm guilty of not being strict enough about it. Luckily he's a good kid and interested in things other than staring at that screen...

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a F5. I loved all the knobs and the big display. I ran it too hot in hindsight...and it was pretty chattery.... My favourite coil was the 10 inch eliptical, it went into tight spaces but also covered good ground. I wasnt thrilled with the depth. However it was my first *real* machine after I came back to the hobby and I sometimes wish I had a chance to use it again to see if I can run it better. Good Luck

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2036367
upgrading machines then going back to all those old haunts is fun and and profitable, hope it pays for the new machine!

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2036367
You got me a little excited here. I have the same Ace I bought for finding property pins not knowing if I'd ever want to get into the hobby or not. Well I do, I'm hooked solid. Was going to save my found coins till I could get the AT pro. That'll be awhile swinging this little guy. But I may bite the bullet and give this Fisher combo a go👍
Keep us posted how your learning and loving it! Or not😁

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2036367
That is a fine days work. Congrats. I have found that a new machine is always a good time.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2036367
The F5 is one of the best coin detectors made. It will only get better when you get more time in the field. One hint-deep coins will be a faint whisper. Dig a couple of these faint whispers and you will be on your way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread