My Nokta Pin Pointer Review

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta Pin Pointer

My first photo shows that the pin pointer is shipped in a nice zip up semi-hard carry case which is nice for carrying in your suitcase or luggage for protection while traveling.

20150324_093334.jpg

20150324_093405.jpg

Pin pointer comes with a nice adjustable belt and harness that attaches to the semi-hard case and can also hook to the pin pointer pouch if needed while you're detecting.

20150324_135823.jpg

You turn on the pin pointer by holding the green button for 3 seconds; hitting the green button for about 1 second steps up the sensitivity one increment at a time to the max setting of 10, which gives you a long beep. You decrease the setting by hitting the gray button one sec, steps down the sensitivity one increment at a time to the min sensitivity, it will give you a long beep when you reach minimum setting of 1.

The Nokta pin pointer has 10 different sensitivity settings, at it's most sensitive setting (10) I could easily detect gold ring and coins at 4-6 inches, it also saw the large iron re-bar in my concrete floor at greater depth. At (10) it will also pick up EMI so you have to be aware and adjust it just like you would the sensitivity on your detector. It is very stable on (8) and gets close to the same depth. Min sensitivity is about a half inch. Be sure to not wear any jewelry on your hand you hold pin pointer with because at the higher settings it senses the jewelry if you hold it too low down pin pointer handle.

The pin pointer also has a very bright LED light built in the Nokta pin pointer that is turned on by touching both green and gray button at same time.

The Nokta pin pointer is rated waterproof to one meter. I put mine in a bucket of water 18 inches deep and held it there for 2 mins, opened up the handle and no water had penetrated…

The Nokta also comes with two nice orange hard cases that slip over the tip, one of which is also designed for digging in the ground so you do not damage the tip of your pin pointer poking and digging in the ground with it. They snap on and off very easily and are tight enough you shouldn’t have to worry about them coming off while digging with them. (Much cheaper to replace the cover than the pin pointer).

20150324_093516.jpg

20150324_093530.jpg

The Nokta pin pointer is also adjustable so you can make it only beep, only vibrate, or beep and vibrate at the same time, you can also turn the LED light on when you need it or leave it off. It is turned on and off by touching both green and gray buttons at the same time

The Nokta turns itself off after 5 minutes of non use. It uses 9 volt battery and comes shipped with a 9 volt battery.

My only concern with the pin pointer and the only negative feature I found so far with the Nokta pin pointer is how it sits in the carry pouch that you attached to your waist, it sits up high in the case and is top heavy, it can fall out if your carrying it this way and lean over. It would have been nice if it sat lower in the carrying pouch and I may modify mine by cutting a hole in the end to allow it to slip down further in belt case so it doesn’t slip out while leaning over.

Nokta is good about listening to their customers so they may modify the belt carry case down the road.

Over all I think it is a nice pin pointer, I especially like the tip cases that come with it as some people like to dig with the tip of the pin pointer when locating target. Should be a top competitor in the pin pointer market.

20150324_113119.jpg

96fb4e6b079ca218f25db3be54348696.jpg

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much the same as my Makro, exact same accessories, pretty much same operation. I call the fancy case and shoulder strap useless, who's going to take up all that space in their luggage when just wrapping it in clothing will protect it in travel. The holster is the same crappy one that my Makro came with and it is flimsy and will not hold the pointer well, making it useless for going through any brush. The good news is that it fits a Garrett holster very well and is quite secure in a Garrett holster of which I have a couple. I think I'd rather have a pointer without all those useless add-ons (do you really need a fancy neoprene bag for the plastic tip protectors) and pay a bit less for the pointer.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also spent some time with the makro which is basically the same but not waterproof. It was a half day trade with a friend and me being use to the TRX the switch setup was very troublesome and required for everything to come to a stop while I held in buttons with one hand while having to hold the pointer with the other hand for the required couple seconds. The second nature of hitting the button without looking I had with the TRX was not there and made its use for me very troubling. The sensitivity was weaker and that also was a bit negative. By the end of the day the trade back took some convincing and my friend reluctantly traded back. The 5 minute shutdown also became an issue if you are one who likes to just turn on and hunt. Damp conditions causes my gloves to become soiled. The need to continue punching buttons results in the recesses around the buttons to fill with dirt and they become difficult to use unless you take a small twig and scrape out around them. I will give my vote for the pointers that have the side buttons. I also would like the cheaper price.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't an issue for me as I set it and leave it when it comes to sensitivity. I don't constantly change sensitivity settings once I start hunting. I can understand the buttons being in a different position being an issue for you though.... I have multiple pin pointers and all have controls in different locations. I currently own DetectorPro uniprobe, vulcan 360, Vibra Probe 580 and now the Nokta pin pointer..

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't an issue for me as I set it and leave it when it comes to sensitivity. I don't constantly change sensitivity settings once I start hunting. I can understand the buttons being in a different position being an issue for you though.... I have multiple pin pointers and all have controls in different locations. I currently own DetectorPro uniprobe, vulcan 360, Vibra Probe 580 and now the Nokta pin pointer..

Take a trip on the "wild" side and find a friend who has a TRX and swap for a day like I did and come back with a double report. That should be interesting. The vulcan is also one of my go to pointers.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack Ă— 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEWARE

received my new pin pointer today by Nokta but could have done without the case, strap and orange covers. I love it. it has all the features you would want on a good pinpointer. but beware when you get your new one like I did and you put the battery in and then you go to screw on the lid. I did not ever have to read directions to put a battery in. as I screwed on the cover it was on the wrong terminal spot and it busted off the plastic separations between the connections. much to my dismay. it still works but I don't know how much longer if they start making contact probably burn my pants off. LOL. with a limited warranty I guess is not covered huh my stupidity for not reading the directions on how to put the battery cover on.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
received my new pin pointer today by Nokta but could have done without the case, strap and orange covers. I love it. it has all the features you would want on a good pinpointer. but beware when you get your new one like I did and you put the battery in and then you go to screw on the lid. I did not ever have to read directions to put a battery in. as I screwed on the cover it was on the wrong terminal spot and it busted off the plastic separations between the connections. much to my dismay. it still works but I don't know how much longer if they start making contact probably burn my pants off. LOL. with a limited warranty I guess is not covered huh my stupidity for not reading the directions on how to put the battery cover on.

It comes with 1 year warranty

Don't know how you were able to break contacts as cover is keyed to only fit and seat one direction. You insert the end cap that has a key lock then screw on the outer locking ring.

Did you try to turn the end cap rather than turn the locking ring?

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must of not had contacts inserted when screwed cap on. It happened so fast. My last detector had Sunray inline pinpointer. Have been having to use $16 from harbor frieght with the fors recently and it was useless.....too excited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must of not had contacts inserted when screwed cap on. It happened so fast. My last detector had Sunray inline pinpointer. Have been having to use $16 from harbor frieght with the fors recently and it was useless.....too excited.
Its covered by 1 year warranty, contact dealer you bought it from or Nokta, go to Nokta forum here and post issue there, Delik from Nokta monitors that forum...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much the same as my Makro, exact same accessories, pretty much same operation. I call the fancy case and shoulder strap useless, who's going to take up all that space in their luggage when just wrapping it in clothing will protect it in travel. The holster is the same crappy one that my Makro came with and it is flimsy and will not hold the pointer well, making it useless for going through any brush. The good news is that it fits a Garrett holster very well and is quite secure in a Garrett holster of which I have a couple. I think I'd rather have a pointer without all those useless add-ons (do you really need a fancy neoprene bag for the plastic tip protectors) and pay a bit less for the pointer.

You are right, about the extra fancy gizmos, I'm just looking for a real GOOD pinpointer, and I think I found one too
- the Nokta Pointer!
I guess I'll find use for the all stuff you mention (I also have two Garrett probe holsters...!)

......good post tho, Treasure_Hunter ..., and gunsil......!
GL and HH
~Jim

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Nokta is truly a nice pointer and with the orange sleeve covers for visibility it is great. Main differences between it and it's sister pointer the Makro is the Nokta has more sensitivity settings and has a audible inactivity alarm and auto shutoff to save battery life.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure it is, or suppose to be unless you had a defective one. I had the Makro before the Nokta and submerged it all the time.

See Makro ad below:
Makro Metal Detectors: Makro Pointer, waterproof pinpointer, best pinpointer, Design Turkey good design award!

I did not stick it in a bucket to test it but was told that it was not. I still stand by my comments and still prefer a one handed function instead of having to stop and hold with one hand and punch buttons with the other if the shitch area is not full of dirt. The TRX is boss for sure in my book.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Nokta is truly a nice pointer and with the orange sleeve covers for visibility it is great. Main differences between it and it's sister pointer the Makro is the Nokta has more sensitivity settings and has a audible inactivity alarm and auto shutoff to save battery life.

Well, I made the plunge and purchased the Nokta yesterday from MetalDetectors.com , and should be here soon. My (second) Garrett probe, that doesn't vibrate will be my backup (I guess).
After surfing around thru various dealers, I found that they haven't heard of the Nokta and only sell Makro pointers,
or have it, but sell the ORANGE tips separately...! And I appreciate not having to pay shipping too!

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 2 go bad on me