Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heya folks. Haven't been around too much lately, it seems we got about a month of non-stop rain here in NY, and with other things going on, I haven't got out much to hunt lately. I did manage to get out a few times this week so far though, as the rain kind of stopped.

I got out for a few hours on Sunday, but for some reason, it was really windy, and I wore shorts and it was overcast, so it seemed more like a late autumn day then a mid June day. I managed 7 cents in modern coins, and a golden locket, without the necklace or a picture inside. I believe it is from at least around the early 1900's as it was about 6 inches deep and most items at this depth seem to be around that time frame.

Next, I got out Tuesday. This time, I took my 5 year old son with me, so he could play on the swings while I hunted. As we were walking into the park, I got an 1888 Indian Head, and right next to it was a 1917 Wheat Cent. He got real interested for a few moments, and insisted on manning the pin pointer, but after a few pull tabs, those swings and slides must have seemed more inviting to him them digging in the dirt with dad. We went off to where the swings were, and we played around on them and the slide, and then a young teenage woman showed and he proceeded to flirt with her and get her to push him, so I did some more searching around the swings and stuff. Found around a dollar in clad and then a 1914 Wheat Cent, then the young lady was and he was ready to go.

Then I got out again last night. Right off the bat, I got a 1913 Wheat Cent, right where I had dug the Indian and the Wheat with my son the night before. I then got the usual allotment of pull tabs and tin foil, and then I decided to try a section of the park I had never searched, way back in the corner behind the very old oak tree. I started out with a 2002 nickle and then a few more pull tabs and junk, and then I got a signal that read 81 on the XLT at 2". I usually don't dig stuff this shallow because its always clad and I figure I would save it for the next generation of hunters, when it will be considered old to them. But I was bored, and started to dig anyways and out pops a 1979 nickle. Well, 81 is supposed to be a dime, so somethings not right. I scan the hole again, and I am still getting an 81 at 2". I pin point it and out pops a 1983 nickle. Still, this is not a dime, so I scan the hole again. 81 again, but this time 4.5". Out pops a 1907 Liberty nickle. I had to think about that, and then I started to scan the hole once again. Its still reading 81 at 4.5" and out pops a 1940 nickle. Wait a minute, a 1940 nickle was underneath a 1907, which was underneath a 1983 nickle which was underneath a 1979 nickle? Scan again, and still getting same signal. This time its a 1937 Wheat cent. Again, 81. This time, its finally the dime. 1935-D Mercury. But now I am getting a 73-74, so I am thinking, ok, theres gotta be an Indian here too, but nope, its a 1917 Wheat cent. Now I am still reading 73-74 but get a 1952 nickle, and then the final coin, 1941 nickle. That has got to honestly be the oddest assortment of coins stacked in the weirdest depths. It makes me wonder how these coins all got basically in the same whole in that order.

Anthony

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.....that is weird...it would take a lot of coincidences for that to happen...

HH
-GC

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes me wonder how these coins all got basically in the same whole in that order.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too! ???

Neat story Anthony! Congrats on your finds!

Nana ;)

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some cool stuff! You are a detectorist that know's what he's doing... Nice digs!

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
Anthony, Congrats. Neat story. Just goes to show you never can tell. ya gotta dig everything!
Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the unusual multi-coin hole with us!
Bu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread