268.5 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it right and send it in, you will need a new set of headphones. I highly recommend you use vegetable-based spray silicone on the cables every few months to protect them, spray them, let it sit for 10 mins or some then wipe off the excess..

Last edited:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it in, they will also replace the inner o-rings and clean the board while they have it opened.
Well worth it even if you didn't have the damage. Look over your coil wire also. Those wires tend to crack at about the same time and since they already have the pod opened do it one time. I've gone with SEF coils and different headphones, they have more durable wiring. My excals are over 20 years old and still work great.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an easy fix for this that works ? Or , am I going to need to send this beast in for a legit repair job ? Just noticed after today's hunt.
Good luck on your Excal .
The repair shop does great work.i will probably be sending mine in also

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an easy fix for this that works ? Or , am I going to need to send this beast in for a legit repair job ? Just noticed after today's hunt.
I'm sure Minelab can do the job. You might be able to do it too depending on your skills. I'd check with Tony Eisenhower to get his opinion and price quote too. He does all my mods and repairs.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Send it in!

I even drove down there to pick it up in person. They did a great job on it, still in use. Also got to meet some old "on-line" friends. TH is a really good dude, and that's a fact.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first time i am also having wire at headphone cracking.

I only silicone the headphone wire prolly half as much due to simple forgetting many times.

So... i too will be on the send in crew at some point.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah he squeeks by. :)
I watched TH for years... PRE membership / joining here as an on again off again lurker.

Then one day i saw he was gonna be over near me... WELL... i had to go see for myself if he was a cool cat...

My girl and I joined he and Col Dan on a long drive and hunt... both were good company... fun day.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Still amazed after 15 years Minelab has not addressed this continuing issue, the cost of a better cable for both the coil and head phones is less than 20 dollars, one that would last for years like the Fisher Cz20's or even the Whites water machines. Or maybe a better idea would be with the 1599.oo one pays for the machine, in the box they include a spray bottle of 303, or silicon spray. Guess that would be asking to much.

Good Luck on the repair and like everyone noted, use some type silicon spray to prolong the life of the cables.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still amazed after 15 years Minelab has not addressed this continuing issue, the cost of a better cable for both the coil and head phones is less than 20 dollars, one that would last for years like the Fisher Cz20's or even the Whites water machines. Or maybe a better idea would be with the 1599.oo one pays for the machine, in the box they include a spray bottle of 303, or silicon spray. Guess that would be asking to much.

Good Luck on the repair and like everyone noted, use some type silicon spray to prolong the life of the cables.
My Pulse cords are 20 years... my other was even older.... never a cord prob. (knock on wood)
And... never lubed in early on.

OP
OP
FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's the sad part , I have a can of spray , but forgot to use it after the first few times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread